A time for Thanksgiving – Hunting a Lesson in Gratefulness

Landon DeKeyser

I have a lot of friends that don't hunt. Many of them don't understand why I do it. For a long time I have tried to explain why I like to hunt. It usually comes out in a short answer such as "I just really like spending time in the outdoors. You see all kinds of cools stuff out in the woods, and it makes me happier." Then I get a response that something like "well I just don't get why you would want to sit out in the cold for hours. Plus I really don't like to kill things."

I always find myself think "man they just don't get it. If they would just try it out I think they would enjoy it." Hunting is about a lot of different things to me. Its partially about killing animals yes. I do genuinely enjoy the time alone to think. It brings me a sense of peace. I love watching the animals. I find that I am always learning something new about them.

Its also about something deeper than that. Maybe I'm just weird, I don't know, but I really find it helps me to be happy in a way that almost no other activity can. I also love to fish, but hunting I feel has a greater lasting affect on me.

I would love to hear if any of you guys also share similar views. You can read an in depth article I wrote on this topic here http://lifestylelost.com/index.php/2...-gratefulness/

With hunting season slowly winding to an end, and Thanksgiving a few days away. I felt this topic was fitting and others may enjoy.

You are definitely not weird to me. The list of reasons why I hunt is long bu includes to feed this household with deer,duck,turkey ad fish. Buy a little chicken but have no idea now how many years it has been since we bought beef at the store. Both sides of my family include Native American ancestry, so it's in my dna. As a Christian, we are to be good stewards of the land and the wildlife that inhabits it. Being in the woods or on the water is where I find the most peace, there is solitude while never being alone. Nature will always speak to you when you slow down and listen.

You summed it up pretty well Btaylor. For me it's not just go out and kill things either, but I do like deer, fish, Turkey, and the like. I enjoy my time at our properties. I share that time with my son a lot and we try to give something back to all the wildlife that share the place with us.
As far as the people who can't kill things goes, most still do. When you pick it up at a store packaged they still caused it's demise, they just let someone else do the killing.

You are definitely not weird to me. The list of reasons why I hunt is long bu includes to feed this household with deer,duck,turkey ad fish. Buy a little chicken but have no idea now how many years it has been since we bought beef at the store. Both sides of my family include Native American ancestry, so it's in my dna. As a Christian, we are to be good stewards of the land and the wildlife that inhabits it. Being in the woods or on the water is where I find the most peace, there is solitude while never being alone. Nature will always speak to you when you slow down and listen.

We sounds a lot alike. I have bought beef maybe twice in the last 10 years. I have eaten primarily venison, fish I catch, and chickens we raise, eggs from our chickens, and even our own goat milk for much of my life. I am also a Native American.

You summed it up pretty well Btaylor. For me it's not just go out and kill things either, but I do like deer, fish, Turkey, and the like. I enjoy my time at our properties. I share that time with my son a lot and we try to give something back to all the wildlife that share the place with us.
As far as the people who can't kill things goes, most still do. When you pick it up at a store packaged they still caused it's demise, they just let someone else do the killing.

You are exactly right! Every piece of meat that is eaten was killed at one time. Some people really don't actually realize that haha.

Back