2017 matthews bow

Haven't seen them, but I'll be out of the market for a long time. Couldn't be happier with my HTX No Cam, best shooting bow i've owned.

I just ordered a Halon 32 last week. I buy bows like I do cars. Since 1979 I've only owned four bows. First was a Bear Whitetail, then a Bear Alaskan (75 lbs with a 35% letoff - I was younger and stronger then), a Hoyt Game Getter came next (I loved that bow), in 2005 I bought a Browing Oasis, made by PSE I believe. I had it at 67 lbs last year but shoulder trouble caused me to drop it to 55 this summer. I've worked my way back into good shooting shape and form and decided to upgrade. This year I decided it was time for a more top end bow. I went with the 32-6 and Montana black Gold revenge sights. The bow is in and the sight should be here Wednesday. At 60 lbs and a 31 inch draw with 450 grain arrows I expect to be around 280-290 fps. My oasis was in the mid 260s and I thought it was fast. What really impressed me was how smooth the draw cycle was on the Matthews. The one I test drove was at 58 lbs and it was quite an upgrade compared to what I'm used to. I actually shot it on two separate occasions just to make sure. I'll do a review post on it when I get it all set up and throw a few arrows down range.

It's the 70 turned down. I was shooting 67 lbs last year so as my shoulder continues to get stronger again I at least want the option of turning it up a little. I know the older bows
used to be more efficient closer to max but from everything I've read and heard the newer bows do just as well turned down. This particular shop sells a lot of Matthews bows and they've found that the 70 lb bows actually go as low as 53 and can get as high as 74. That's a longer range then advertised for sure. They called today and said everything is in. I'll go in Tuesday and set it up and get shooting.

I've been shooting every day for most of the summer so I'm pretty excited now. My son and I shot today. 108 degree heat in St. Louis so we only went about 30 arrows before we were soaking wet.

I picked up my new bow today. It's a Halon 32-6 70 lbs (set at 60 for now), 31 inch draw length and the 85% letoff setting. I put a Montana Black Gold Revenge sight on it and a peep sight. It also got a wrist sling. Everything else is as it came. After shooting probably fifty arrows through it I can say that I really like it. Very smooth, seems very fast but I'll chrono it at some point. I love the back wall. It's so much more solid than my old bow. It feels very different than what I'm used too. It's axle to axle length is 5 inches shorter than my old bow but it is a little heavier. That's not an issue at all. I plan on shooting it a while to get comfortable and then work on dialing in the yardages. For now it's shoots great. I'm sure I'll get very comfortable with it soon. The picture below shows a five shot group. The first two shots were at 20 yards and the next three were at 25 using the same pin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I picked up my new bow today. It's a Halon 32-6 70 lbs (set at 60 for now), 31 inch draw length and the 85% letoff setting. I put a Montana Black Gold Revenge sight on it and a peep sight. It also got a wrist sling. Everything else is as it came. After shooting probably fifty arrows through it I can say that I really like it. Very smooth, seems very fast but I'll chrono it at some point. I love the back wall. It's so much more solid than my old bow. It feels very different than what I'm used too. It's axle to axle length is 5 inches shorter than my old bow but it is a little heavier. That's not an issue at all. I plan on shooting it a while to get comfortable and then work on dialing in the yardages. For now it's shoots great. I'm sure I'll get very comfortable with it soon. The picture below shows a five shot group. The first two shots were at 20 yards and the next three were at 25 using the same pin.

4b36427b2d0cf8434e6cd733033ee13a.jpg
9d0cabf806797c5be098078381fa9af5.jpg

I use a whisker biscuit. I thought about trying a drop down rest but I'm really of fan of simplicity and for the last dozen years I've used the whisker biscuit so that's what I'm sticking with.

I took my Halon 32-6 out today to chronograph and start dialing in my sights. I really like the Montana Black Gold Revenge sights. They're fully micro-adjustable and very bright pins. I like them a lot. I'm shooting 447 grain arrows with the bow set at 60 lbs with 85% let off. My draw length is 31 inches. I was getting 288 fps. That equates to a kinetic energy of 82 ft lbs. I've obviously only had the bow a few days but I really like it.

719a50c12455b63e3fe293ad660423f1.jpg

You all keep this up and I may replace the solo cam. That thing still shoots so darn easy and true, plus it's almost like a family member by now, it will be hard to let go.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

If you get a new Mathews, get the black finish, which is annodized and way better than the dipped camo. My halon is down to the bare aluminum in areas, and I only shoot a few hundred arrows a year. Mathews is getting me a new riser after hunting season.
c4507a2f0fe94d765016474836e210e3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I use a whisker biscuit. I thought about trying a drop down rest but I'm really of fan of simplicity and for the last dozen years I've used the whisker biscuit so that's what I'm sticking with.

I had that same mentality for a long time but switch to a QAD drop away before the 16 season. No issues what so ever with the drop away and less wear from the biscuit.

Back