Live from the stand 2021

While looking over the weather last night it was showing a south wind today here so I decided not to hunt today and to get some work done. I got up this morning and noticed the flag fluttering with a slight breeze from the north but I figured it was just a fluke so I got the tractor ready to go do a mowing job 3 miles away...it was so close I just decided to drive the tractor over and back. Once I arrived I noticed some fluid on my right boot and the floorboard on that side and I then saw that I had a loader hose with a hole in it and it was the main line that raises the loader so I just tied a rag around it, dropped the loader bucket off of it and started hogging. I got done around 1:00 so I drove it back home and pulled the hose and headed to town to get a replacement and to go pick up the deer meat from the buck I killed last Friday. Once I got those chores done and arrived home I noticed I had a NE very slight breeze and it was almost 4:00 so I decided to make a quick evening hunt.

I got my hunting gear on and went out into our land feeling the wind as I went and made the decision to hunt up near the front of our place near our south plot. I feared it being so late in the day that if I tried to make it back to where I was yesterday evening I may bust deer out. Deer bed mostly off of our property and enter it to feed...the plot struggled mightily after the late summer drought we had and the only way I was able to salvage it was to throw wheat seed over it time and again until it took and the deer are liking it. They come morning and evening for acorns, wheat, and some corn from a feeder. Here are some photos of where I was...

96e5c67044cddd7a0b0c1dcaeabff02e.jpg

cef73e1f0a9cfc14c4262ee17f910d6e.jpg

eded7e02e1122183e39e55af89513848.jpg

About 5:15 I had a buttonhead come in and go into the plot to feed and then around 5:40 he came straight across the field and ended up going right under me and go behind me. I kept watching right left and straight ahead and I could still hear what I thought was the young buck behind me...after a few minutes I realized there was too much noise so I looked back and there were several deer behind me with a small buck harassing some does. I noticed one of the deer seemed intent on something in the plot and I looked that way and a great looking 4.5 year old 8 point was coming across the plot headed my way...at the same time I noticed something to my left and a really great 10 point was coming through the woods looking at the does. I decided the 10 was my target and of course luck was on his side as he ended up everywhere around me but in my shooting lanes. Conversely the 8 point ended up in all of them...lol. I don’t know how many deer I actually saw but it had to be more than 10 but it seemed like more because lots of movement was happening everywhere around me. I ended up sneaking out after dark and even though I was at the front of our place I still bumped 3 or 4 deer before I got to the house...hopefully get a good wind again within the next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well this will be a long diatribe for a mediocre deer. I haven’t hunted but maybe 5 times the last three seasons. As you know I lost my son from a seizure in 2019. In addition, my dad passed last December and my best friend, business partner, and hunting partner of 30 years passed then also at the age of 60 after a 3 year battle with cancer. It’s tough not having at least the option to talk about our hunts. I’ve just had no desire to work the farm , much less bother hunting.
I don’t say this for sympathy but to acknowledge for others that life does get in the way sometimes and only time can allow some type of healing. I know many of you have been or are going thru worse issues.

Any way i decided to hunt this past Wed after a snow/rain on Tues and I knew they would be moving well. Honestly I had to make my self leave that morning at 5, just had no desire to even go. But I knew it was needed. I hoped to see a 10 I’d spotted while throwing some wheat seed out one day. Headed to back ridge where I had located a heavy rub line. A cold North wind kind of day. Indeed I saw the 10 midmorning but he had broke a tine and I chose to see if he would make another year. Another couple shooters came by that I let pass.

That after noon went to the Nosebleed stand on the back ridge which sits on an oak flat bordered by very steep drops. I make two mock scrapes with my pee and climbed into the stand. NW wind was perfect for this stand. About an hour in to the sit, at 3:30, I hit the doe bleat and within minutes came 5 does. To the back of them was this 8 and I decided to take him regardless of size. He was looking to get some Tush with only that on his mind. As you know, its the mamma Does that you truly have to trick. With swirling winds they got nervous few times but settled munching on acorns. The buck worked the one scrape, then came down to the other 20 yds out. I had goofed in that I didn’t see a tree that would block his boiler when he worked the scrape. As he finished, he turned and I had a hard qrt away shot. I held behind the back rib and releasing, the Rage found its mark.

Although I heard him crash 50 yds away I waited 30 minutes worried it was only a liver hit and may take some time. No blood trail with no pass thru shot and this why I always take a bearing on last spot seen. Sure enough there he lay. As if in celebration two ear piercing F16s flew by scraping the treetops.
I sat feeling the heat escape his body reminiscing for a few minutes. I can’t remember what my wife wants from the store but I can remember every deer I’ve taken and where and who I was with. And have had some great hunts with some of the best guys in the world.

I am a lucky man.

I climbed to a ridge behind and above the one you see. Great stand w awesome views.
a5811c25406c62fb513615fbfb826d65.jpg

Leaves just refuse to fall this year.
9072e5239b7097ad8cd7b352695c8afc.jpg

My dominant self pee man made scrape from whence he was taken.
bdfb9d725767a8a2997ee128eadee649.jpg

d7b1df0645f924b845b2faa78a1086c6.jpg

9c7410145f38862a3677fe80024bbd12.jpg

b4e79b2cdf32bc5df7291a479ecb77c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One shooter passed for each of your lost ones. Great story!

Passed a small 6 about 30 minutes ago and then caught a glimpse of a running tail on the opposite end of the food plot about 15 minutes later. They seem to be on the move today as I've also heard 3 shots in the surrounding area so far.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I’m glad all you guys have been hunting, it gives me something to look forward to each day. I’m also happy for those of you who have been successful, you’ve killed some nice bucks. But most of all, I’m glad that tomorrow is the opening day of general season in Texas, I’m gonna be posting live from the stand and I hope I get to see something besides squirrels and wheat. Yahoo !:)

Well this will be a long diatribe for a mediocre deer. I haven’t hunted but maybe 5 times the last three seasons. As you know I lost my son from a seizure in 2019. In addition, my dad passed last December and my best friend, business partner, and hunting partner of 30 years passed then also at the age of 60 after a 3 year battle with cancer. It’s tough not having at least the option to talk about our hunts. I’ve just had no desire to work the farm , much less bother hunting.
I don’t say this for sympathy but to acknowledge for others that life does get in the way sometimes and only time can allow some type of healing. I know many of you have been or are going thru worse issues.

Any way i decided to hunt this past Wed after a snow/rain on Tues and I knew they would be moving well. Honestly I had to make my self leave that morning at 5, just had no desire to even go. But I knew it was needed. I hoped to see a 10 I’d spotted while throwing some wheat seed out one day. Headed to back ridge where I had located a heavy rub line. A cold North wind kind of day. Indeed I saw the 10 midmorning but he had broke a tine and I chose to see if he would make another year. Another couple shooters came by that I let pass.

That after noon went to the Nosebleed stand on the back ridge which sits on an oak flat bordered by very steep drops. I make two mock scrapes with my pee and climbed into the stand. NW wind was perfect for this stand. About an hour in to the sit, at 3:30, I hit the doe bleat and within minutes came 5 does. To the back of them was this 8 and I decided to take him regardless of size. He was looking to get some Tush with only that on his mind. As you know, its the mamma Does that you truly have to trick. With swirling winds they got nervous few times but settled munching on acorns. The buck worked the one scrape, then came down to the other 20 yds out. I had goofed in that I didn’t see a tree that would block his boiler when he worked the scrape. As he finished, he turned and I had a hard qrt away shot. I held behind the back rib and releasing, the Rage found its mark.

Although I heard him crash 50 yds away I waited 30 minutes worried it was only a liver hit and may take some time. No blood trail with no pass thru shot and this why I always take a bearing on last spot seen. Sure enough there he lay. As if in celebration two ear piercing F16s flew by scraping the treetops.
I sat feeling the heat escape his body reminiscing for a few minutes. I can’t remember what my wife wants from the store but I can remember every deer I’ve taken and where and who I was with. And have had some great hunts with some of the best guys in the world.

I am a lucky man.

I climbed to a ridge behind and above the one you see. Great stand w awesome views.
a5811c25406c62fb513615fbfb826d65.jpg

Leaves just refuse to fall this year.
9072e5239b7097ad8cd7b352695c8afc.jpg

My dominant self pee man made scrape from whence he was taken.
bdfb9d725767a8a2997ee128eadee649.jpg

d7b1df0645f924b845b2faa78a1086c6.jpg

9c7410145f38862a3677fe80024bbd12.jpg

b4e79b2cdf32bc5df7291a479ecb77c7.jpg

Awesome, congrats!

Sat in our well plot tonight. The chase is on. I had 12 does and 5 bucks come in. I passed an 8pt and a couple 6pts. Having way to much fun to not hold out for one of my 5 target bucks. Here are pictures of the bucks passed, and of how the deer are keeping this 11/2 acre plot mowed down . Clarity is poor because I took the photos through the blind window (wind wasn’t great and I didn’t want to risk blowing out the deer for photos).D67502D8-C910-4201-BD13-57F25E8EDE30.jpeg0055C247-B461-49E7-BD00-FE0D35E3A65D.jpeg 1F83DF8B-99F9-4E86-B713-0F0719A63A92.jpeg

Saw countless squirrels and chipmunks, typical swirling mountain winds. No deer seen or heard.

I wish I could hunt this evening but the wind just sucks for hunting here...
I’m gonna have an iffy wind tomorrow too. I think I’ll have to change stands at noon or a little after. I can’t hunt at home with an E wind component and at the lease I’m kinda taking a chance. I think I can make it though or I wouldn’t go.

Had this guy and his 8pt brother at the stand at 10:00 am. Brother gets a pass but main guy wouldn’t give a clean shot. Watched them walk away to ridgetop. 12:00 I sneaked up and stalked to within 50yds before they sensed me. Both stood up broadside not sure what to do not looking my way. Easy shot w rifle. Not a shot I’m willing take w a bow. Finally they drifted off along a side hill. It was fun.

925e6d55e67c36b2014ccf3c7ae9cd7e.jpg

2285392d8d4cb45789cd4cdc8d5f8576.jpg

Headed to some public ground this morning. Want to see how busy it is on the first Saturday in November. Hoping the deer are busy and the humans are not. Lol

7B1D4AC1-B909-4776-BFA4-75697D2474B5.jpeg Opening day of general here. Had a young buck come through early, too dark for a picture. This is my arena. My whoats are looking good considering how little rain we’ve had. It’s in the high thirties and yes I’m a wuss nowadays. Carhart overalls and jacket.

Last edited:
I’m out scouting this morning for next weekend. The deer movement in the NWSGs is insane this morning. They are everywhere. That big deer I posted a pic of earlier walked right up to a camera I changed cards in yesterday and smelled of it. I guess he isn’t afraid of me…lol.

Back