Live from the stand 2021

I've seen a doe with two young ones so far and my buddy saw a decent 6 at first light. Yesterday was a total bust. My view...
fe7df231d29b2bede1718bdedcf289d1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I left the house at 5:20 AM and bumped a deer as soon as I crossed the road to go down our east fence with this west wind. There was absolutely no wind and that walk is very noisy due to loose flint on the finger ridges all along that path so I decided to walk down the main roads through our place...I ended up bumping deer 5 times on the walk to a stand midway back. I ended up seeing 2 8 pointers and 2 4 points and 5 does. This was the largest buck I saw and he passed at 15 yards and would have been a chip shot...
b342010f8ab34a8ff96402a009a8b8c5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wind switched on me so I moved to the South Plot at 4:30...saw 6 does and 1 buck but I am only about 75 yards through the woods from the county road and the phone company has a crew on our road burying fiber optic cable for high speed internet and they were working right through that area and buggered the deer out. My wife Christine videoed a big one in the back yard from our kitchen window. It’s time! I wish our rifle season started this weekend!

Yesterday I saw Button again and a lone Doe at Dusk.

Sat through Two Super Cell Storms that rolled right over me. 5-mile either way would of missed me.

Got super soaked. By the time I got back to Camp and hung everything up to dry under the canopy it was late.

So, slept in this morning.

Will work our alright as I have 4-cameras to check and plan to hunt the afternoon at the last spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should of added there’s a Cold Front rolling in tonight that will drop the temps down to low 40’s tonight and mid 30’s tomorrow night.

So I figured I needed the sleep more today so I can do All Day Sits the next two.

Good Luck all.

Wind shifted yesterday and as is often the case, it put a real damper on movement. Went from seeing 15-20 per sit in this 11/2 acre plot to 6. There was no buck movement:(. With archery season ending in a week, I’m getting closer to punching the tag on a doe (we have too many). I think the bigger bucks are in lockdown mode….which makes holding out less worth while. In our area, archery is followed by 3 weeks of rifle, and then, MZ through the holidays. I’ve got 9 different shooters on camera….so I’m optimistic:)

After getting the card from our Clover Cam I decided that instead of taking the trail Up then Over and Back Down past the Big Oak stand I’d give it a rest for the day and cut along a slim trail that flows along the top edge of the Cedar Swamp. It comes out on the main trail below the Big Oak stand.

Bad mistake.

My how it has grown up in there since last year! I got to where I was following the GPS on the phone to know where to cut through to find a clearer path.

Eventually I had enough of briars, brambles, and whatever else I fought my way through and turned North to a more easy path.

It ended up dumping me out on the Main Trail right at the Feeder at Big Oak.

Argh!!!

I went down into the bottom and spent the rest of the day there after checking all the cards. Got a nice pic of the Funky 6.

Also a Big Doe must of liked the trail I blazed through that crap as she came out to the Feeder on the same spot, 5 hours later.

Funky 6
698bd3743a1514b49668623c4fc68b77.jpg

Me busting out onto the trail (yes I was sweat soaked by then) and the Doe that followed me later.

a873aeeea9a05faf43dc826a3a218931.jpg

2bf7018673d766cb2b383da0b60b7f8a.jpg

Tomorrow’s another day.

I mentor a young man who asked to come tag along to see what hunting is about (he can’t hunt himself because he hasn’t taken the requisite courses). I’ve had him in a blind with me the last two evenings. Passed lots of does and young bucks. Tonight he got to see the rut in full display! I had this 2x6 freak bird dogging a does all evening. He finally stopped at 41 yards and I attempted a shot out the front window from 10’ up. Sadly, the arrow hit the bottom of casing with enough force to unstring the bow:(. The loud thud sent the deer scurrying to the edge of the plot. Interestingly, 10 minutes later they walked 15 yards from the blind and stood broadside to the Redneck’s corner bow windows! All I could do was laugh…. The good news is, I’ve got a backup bow ready to go, and three more evening sits (I’ll take a doe on the last evening). The best news, is this young man is hooked!

I knew I was close to the window casing…but thought it would clear . Of course I checked this when he was at 50yds…. Made for an exciting evening.

The buck shows classic antler deformation from an injury to the opposite side of his body. I couldn’t see anything wrong.

Would I have shot this buck without the young man present? Probably not, but he was excited enough that I would have happily punched my tag even though I have a real doe problem.9A206B5D-1597-4C8D-80E3-3A5CEAFEFC4D.jpeg

d1a52f91d8d29ec7967db2e158982248.jpg

Hunted a mock scrape on an old logging road yesterday. Saw two 2-year-old bucks, one chasing a doe pretty hard.

Flurries this morning and 35mph gusting wind predicted by mid day.

I mentor a young man who asked to come tag along to see what hunting is about (he can’t hunt himself because he hasn’t taken the requisite courses). I’ve had him in a blind with me the last two evenings. Passed lots of does and young bucks. Tonight he got to see the rut in full display! I had this 2x6 freak bird dogging a does all evening. He finally stopped at 41 yards and I attempted a shot out the front window from 10’ up. Sadly, the arrow hit the bottom of casing with enough force to unstring the bow:(. The loud thud sent the deer scurrying to the edge of the plot. Interestingly, 10 minutes later they walked 15 yards from the blind and stood broadside to the Redneck’s corner bow windows! All I could do was laugh…. The good news is, I’ve got a backup bow ready to go, and three more evening sits (I’ll take a doe on the last evening). The best news, is this young man is hooked!

I knew I was close to the window casing…but thought it would clear . Of course I checked this when he was at 50yds…. Made for an exciting evening.

The buck shows classic antler deformation from an injury to the opposite side of his body. I couldn’t see anything wrong.

Would I have shot this buck without the young man present? Probably not, but he was excited enough that I would have happily punched my tag even though I have a real doe problem.View attachment 22897

Great Story.

We get those Funky Racked Bucks every year. And quite often more than one.

It’s a Trait and not a deformity here.

Had a Big on one side and a Dagger on the other last year. My neighbor shot him walking through her back yard.

Gun season starts today which means dogs running in VA. I'm hoping they push some nice ones off of their properties to come find a nice quiet place to hide over here for the rest of the year.

I just had a buck come to the edge of the plot and I think he saw me getting the gun up. Couldn't tell for sure how big but it might have been the 6 I passed last week.

In my Bottom Stand.

Deer blowing at me in the dark this morning. Doesn’t seem to matter the wind there is always one that blows here.

SIL says it happens to him too when he hunts here.

This Morning View gives you an idea of just how thick our woods are here. Makes for tough hunting.

58de1444f0c04e520b30a4b7184cff3f.jpg

6fd4d9694e84c7287293cb7a2d1e98ad.jpg

ba03498d53693377f820b2cd18d0e188.jpg

3488fdadf9b9fd7f73fb5a2c9cd104dd.jpg

There are several trails that cross through this area. Just got to be here the right day and time.

Back