Live from the stand 2017

I'm jealous of all this hunting going on......first day in Ohio but I am tied up with soccer and my daughters birthday.

Best if luck all.

7508b9a2d4ac10cb743eec15bac58695.jpg

Opening evening of the 2017 MS Archery season. A little warm but I'm optimistic....we shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Probably hands down the best and heartbreaking hunt I've ever had on my place. Make a long story short. Had 3 shooters all within 30 yards. Only problem with that is I had 7 other deer all within 30 yards. Couldn't breath. Had to call my father-in-law to come get me out on the 4wheeler. It's a love hate relationship. Hopefully I didn't booger them and I'll get another crack at one in a couple weeks
6ac672ea1fc27bdf304d542288076961.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

That is a monster on the East Coast! Congratulations!

Story?

He’s a pretty deer but not a monster. I’ve seen him on camera for awhile now and he was one of my target bucks. We had a front move through yesterday that provided a break in the recent terrible heat/humidity. East/Northeast wind let me sit in a nice new stand I set up this summer that overlooks a food plot and waterhole as well as a road that divides 50 acres of clearcut (3 year regrowth) and 50 acres of oaks.

First deer was a young buck that came out around 6:30 PM. Not long after that I heard loud crashing somewhere to my left, and I caught a glimpse of a nice buck walking away from me down the road. He cut to the right into the clearcut. I grunted at him but got no reaction.

Does and fawns started to trickle out of the woods steadily, and by the way they were acting I knew that they had been bothered by bucks. The peak of the rut on this property is the last week of September.

Over the next half hour several young bucks appeared. 4 pointer, spike, 7 pointer...I was optimistic that the buck I had seen earlier would reappear. Sure enough, a nice deer stepped out of the clearcut at 7:15 or so. Got the binocs up and confirmed he was a shooter. I shot him behind the shoulder while he was approaching a group of 4 does. I knew it was a hit, but he ran off into the clearcut. I marked him very well then waited a full half hour to get my dog and go look for him. Saw good blood immediately and the dog was on him in about 10 seconds.

136 lb (liveweight) at the processor, but he was very rundown from the rut and man did he stink! For this particular property he was what I was after: venison.

First day of our archery season and my first tuneup hunt. I call it a tuneup hunt because I use them to see what I need to do and what I forgot to bring. I wasn't exactly sure what time I needed to get up so I set my alarm for 5:15 in our camper. I awoke and ate breakfast and then as I was getting dresses realized I had forgotten to bring my camo hat. I just sprayed my every day cap down with scent killer. As I was putting everything on my 4 wheeler I realized I had forgotten my seat cushion which was more an annoyance than problem...now are seeing why I call it a tuneup hunt...

Left camp and realized I could make out treetops on the eastern horizon with it beginning to lighten. Made a mental note to get up 15 minutes earlier. Got to my parking spot and grabbed my bow and headed up a mountain I have hunted 20 years and sharing with bears the past 9...I mention bears because 1/2 way to my destination I ran into one in the dark who crashed through the brush "woofing"...after I cleaned myself up I continued up the mountain and found my treestand. 1/2 way up the tree my bow hanger I had in my back pocket fell out and so back down I went to get it...

Finally I am in my stand and got my bow hanger screwed into the tree and my bow pulled up and in place with arrow nocked. I checked my phone and it was 6:57 AM...leave earlier...
I was getting ready to put my face mask on when I heard footsteps in the leaves so I grabbed my bow and noticed 3 does coming my way...naturally they came in and circled completely around me getting my wind...nervously stomping feet...checking out my entry route...and finally committing to going to some week old rice bran which was surprising as I could hear acorns falling everywhere.

0d344cc4f4cb8539b5d7242931df1e1e.jpg

They perked their ears and looked up the mountain and I finally noticed a doe working her way down picking up acorns and passing at 50 yards going down hill. Eventually 2 of the does in front of me got nervous and ran 50 yards to my north and stopped. I heard squirrels barking to my west down the mountain and all of a sudden a big buck ran up the hill and chased the 2 50 yard does up the mountain...I was hoping they would circle back but they never did...the single doe that was left hung around another 10 minutes and then went up the mountain...62 and breezy from the SE and dry as a bone...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s a pretty deer but not a monster. I’ve seen him on camera for awhile now and he was one of my target bucks. We had a front move through yesterday that provided a break in the recent terrible heat/humidity. East/Northeast wind let me sit in a nice new stand I set up this summer that overlooks a food plot and waterhole as well as a road that divides 50 acres of clearcut (3 year regrowth) and 50 acres of oaks.

First deer was a young buck that came out around 6:30 PM. Not long after that I heard loud crashing somewhere to my left, and I caught a glimpse of a nice buck walking away from me down the road. He cut to the right into the clearcut. I grunted at him but got no reaction.

Does and fawns started to trickle out of the woods steadily, and by the way they were acting I knew that they had been bothered by bucks. The peak of the rut on this property is the last week of September.

Over the next half hour several young bucks appeared. 4 pointer, spike, 7 pointer...I was optimistic that the buck I had seen earlier would reappear. Sure enough, a nice deer stepped out of the clearcut at 7:15 or so. Got the binocs up and confirmed he was a shooter. I shot him behind the shoulder while he was approaching a group of 4 does. I knew it was a hit, but he ran off into the clearcut. I marked him very well then waited a full half hour to get my dog and go look for him. Saw good blood immediately and the dog was on him in about 10 seconds.

136 lb (liveweight) at the processor, but he was very rundown from the rut and man did he stink! For this particular property he was what I was after: venison.
I hunted NC Coastal military bases, where deer were weighed before dressing and the weights were posted on a game board; very few deer were over 100 pounds. I imagine that you must have a healthier deer herd on your property.

image.jpeg Our opener was Saturday. I wanted to post this but not enough signal. I saw two cat squirrels and a pileated woodpecker, but it was a good sit. Nice and cool, and I was in my blind way before it got shooting light, so I got to hear the woods wake up. This was my view from my homemade bow blind. Just a man made trail in the woods with a little corn thrown on the ground to stop them for a good shot opp. Nothing for the afternoon sit either, but I was in the woods bowhunting, so it was all good !

I'm jealous of all this hunting going on......first day in Ohio but I am tied up with soccer and my daughters birthday.

Best if luck all.
You know what ........The deer and the hunting seasons will be there and be there ....that daughter what you don't realize... you will have for ONLY nano seconds of your life ....breathe it in brother cause it is as good as it gets ....down deep I am sure you know it ...but we just forget when our "hunter urge kicks in" ...besides that ....SHE will be the one who drives you to get your cateracts removed, balances your check book ...brings the grand kids by ....and picks which assisted living "hut" you go into :eek: ...so a wise man will pay it forward!

Bear;)

BarredOwl17.png
Got out for the first weekend of deer hunting. Saw a few does and some small bucks. Best part of the weekend was when this guy came in and hung out with me for about 10 minutes. I think he thought I was a big mouse.

73 and swirling winds...I wanted to hunt a couple different stands but chose one that was safe for the conditions. Nothing has shown so far...

Back