Let the feast begin!

I'll try to get to a couple other orchards at a farm I manage and a camp that I planted an orchard at, and get a few pics. I've got a couple "apple cams" out too. A visitor in back of the house.............

DSCN1090.JPG

That deer orchard their Maya, i see its mowed tight, is that just a hay type mix you mow tight or it just grass or what.

In the pic in reply 23, that's my backyard. Where the deer is is a small orchard. When I plant an orchard I use a conservation mix with no clover, so as not to have bees in it during the summer when I am spraying, or at least that is the idea. Clover always pops up in it anyways.

I had to go back in this orchard where I set an apple cam up last night, so I switched the card out..............first visiter getting some apples from this wild tree.

MFDC2744.JPG

Last edited:
Thats good stuff Maya. Always love a well manicured and thought out orchard. How old are your oldest trees?

In this orchard there is one of those mystery trees in the back row left, 20's. It is not near as big as the one in the previous pic. They were planted at the same time, but this one is not in full sun, but it does pretty good. Also in the back is a 15 year old Liberty and a 15 year old Honeycrisp to the far right. The Galarina's in the front are just on their 3rd leaf and doing great. Getting that much more sun.

DSCN3375.JPG

This a little Liberty planting at my buddy's family camp. It's a 500 acre camp up in the mountains here in Vermont. Not a lot of deer, but we did a little habitat work and they started shooting a few deer the past few years. This site is on a shale ledge. We trucked in 30 yards of topsoil and dug some big holes for each tree! Luckily, These guys own a big excavating company, so the Cat 320 made it as quick and easier than us digging a 2' hole w/ a shovel! There are not many but there are some real nice big bucks running around up there. I need to get a cam up there in October.

DSCN3380.JPG

We definitely need to do a soil test and do some fertilizing next spring. I'm sure they have done nothing. They've got some apples though, and coupled w/ an old wild orchard we reclaimed they are doing some decent feeding.....DSCN3381.JPG

Its good to see some older trees with so many working on their first plantings. The apple trees on my Home 10 are deer magnets. They have been on them a month already eating drops and uglies that i pull off.
I had about 10 Sweet Sixteen apples on a young dwarf. They whittled it down to two apples and i plucked one for myself. They got the last one the next night. Fencing is in my future. Dont wworry, the deer will have plenty more apples outside the fence.

Thanks for posting pics, Maya!

Just thought I'd share a few pics of my apple trees where whitetails are also "feasting".

Gala.....dwarf

S3600012.JPG

Crimson Crisp.... dwarf

S3620002.JPG

Liberty..... hard to see in the pic, but it has a substantial crop.

S3650003.JPG

These trees were planted for the family to enjoy, but I guess the deer here are like family. Except that we shoot them. :D

Nice pics Fish! I never grew any Gala's for deer, but have a couple hundred in my commercial orchard. They are very easy to grow and hold well, but they are very susceptible to scab. They are about to mature any day now here. I keep going out every morning and checking them.....

DSCN3340.JPG

That a lot of Galas on one tree! Ive got a vertical axis and tall spindle with dwarfs planted, but they arent fenced and the deer treat them like a cafeteria. :rolleyes:
Around here, Gala is on the short list. Ive cut down several large trees that were fireblight factories. So far, ive been able to manage it in the dwarfs. Great apple though.

This is a break in a stone wall that goes from an old orchard out to a food plot and hay field. I think that is 3 cubs! This farm is in the foothills of the Green Mountains, and there are always bear there. The cubs break a few branches from time to time, but not much.

IMG_0612.JPG

Back