Very quick season...But not for good reasons.

yoderjac

As some of you know, I finally gave up on vertical bowhunting because of my shoulder and arthritis and got rid of my Switchback: Passing it on

I've been introducing new folks into hunting for quite a while and last year, I gave my Parker Hurricane cross bow to a buddy that I've got started hunting. In fact, he is supposed to come down to the farm on Friday to hunt.

I've been using a Mission Sub One Lite with a Burris Oracle X for several years now: Pics on this thread

Well, now for the story:

Saturday was our opener in VA. I did not hunt in the morning, but prepared for an evening hunt. I headed out on my e-bike with my Sub One Lite. I hunted from an elevated box blind. I was in the stand for about 40 minutes when 6 gobblers entered the small field and began to feed. I realized that I had forgotten to cock my crossbow. Fortunately, I was able to get it cocked in the blind without them spooking.

I raised the bow and ranged it with the Oracle X at 22 yards. I put the dot on the wing-butt of the broadside bird and gently squeezed off a shot. There was a very strange sound at the release and the arrow skipped off the window ledge flying well over the birds. They stopped, looked around for a minute, and then went back to feeding.

I had no idea why the arrow would have hit the shelf as I should have had plenty of clearance, but in the excitement, I began to cock my crossbow again for a second shot. Something seemed off, so I didn't finish cocking it. I took a look at it and the left limb was cracked. It had not hit anything in the blind, so I was befuddled.

Well, that ended my season for now since I don't have a backup. This puzzled me because Mission is known for high quality and quiet crossbows. I kept going back over everything and couldn't figure it out.

On Sunday, I took it to a Mission dealer about 30 minutes away. We examined the bow in more detail and noticed that the left cam was buggered up some as well. Now that means that I somehow banged it up. The bow shop owner said that sometimes Mission will forgive one owner screwup and do a warranty repair, but it depends on who he gets on the phone. He also said that if he buys parts they are shipped from a different system than warranty repairs. They don't generally do overnight shipping with the warranty repair parts, but if they won't do a warranty repair, he is sure he can get overnight shipping. Mission is closed on Mondays, so I won't know anything till Tuesday. He is going to try to get them to do a warranty repair and overnight the parts with me paying for shipping. I'll know more on Tuesday.

I scratched my aging brain on the drive home trying to figure out what happened....Then it hit me...or I hit it:

Last year I got an e-bike for hunting. I put a rack on the front for carrying a rifle, but with the crossbow limbs going horizontal, I couldn't use it because the limb would hit the steering. So, I put a gun holder on the rack over the rear wheel. The bow sits behind me on the bike at a slight angle. I now remember at the end of the season last year, when I was returning from a hunt, the bow fell off the rack. I putter along at about 5 mph on that e-bike and it was only a 2" or so drop on to a logging road. I remember checking the bow out and the limb wasn't cracked or anything, but I easily could have missed the damage to the cam. Perhaps it hit a rock or something on the logging road.

So, I'm guessing that is where the initial damage occurred. I took a couple practice shots before the season and the bow was dead-on. I'm guessing that the initial fall had caused non-visible damage to the limb which was under stress and it was just coincidence that it finally gave way and cracked at my shot at the turkey which is what caused the arrow to glance of the window seal.

So, I'm out of commission for now. This serves as a warning to me to double and triple check my equipment. Had I noticed the cam damage last season, the repair would be in my rear view mirror now and I'd be out hunting.

And that is the main thing that I didn’t like about a crossbow, there just isn’t a good way to carry them. Mine was only 9” wide when it was cocked (I think) but it was still heavy and cumbersome. Hope you get back in business with minimal time and expense.

With Compounds and CrossBows there are just delicate moving parts. I have only used compound and would always worry would it work ok once I got 20 feet up a tree with it. Good Luck and hope the parts ship quickly.

With Compounds and CrossBows there are just delicate moving parts. I have only used compound and would always worry would it work ok once I got 20 feet up a tree with it. Good Luck and hope the parts ship quickly.
Yes, I've had a few issues with a compound that were my fault, but this was different. When I hunted with compounds, I built my own matched arrows. Every year, I would put it in a press, tear it down, remove the cams, lubricate the cam pins, and check the strings and cams in detail. Since I switch to a crossbow, I don't tear it down myself annually and do all that kind of stuff.

I clearly should of examined it more closely last year after the fall. I should have picked up the damage to the cam. I don't know whether it is my vision changing as I get older, but I'm less inclined to do fine detailed work. It has gone from being interesting to a chore.

But you are right, as technology has progressed with bows, they have become more effective for me and lowered my wounding rate, but there are more things that can go wrong.

Here is an interesting example. It covers technology, but also shows how easy it is to make a mistake when deer hunting.

I had issues shooting with a peep sight, especially in low-light conditions. You eye can't focus on the pin and the deer at the same time, it has to go back and forth. I found it hard to pick a precise spot on a deer to aim. I found myself shooting at the chest, rather than picking a precise spot like between the 3rd and 4th rib.

Technology to the rescue. I ended up buying a movable bracket and installing a red dot sight. It was great. At the range or on a 3D course, I could estimate the range, adjust the bracket and shoot. There is no peep with a red dot sight. You need a consistent anchor point, but you just focus on the deer an a red dot appears in your vison path in the same focal plane. I could not pick a precise spot, and I didn't have issues of centering a pin in a large peep or loosing the pin in low-light with a small peep. For hunting, I don't mess with adjusting the bracket for distance. I simply keep it set at 20 yards and hold 3" high at 30. I don't take shots past 30 yards and rarely past 25.

So, one day many years ago, I was hunting at Quantico with it. I used a climber and pulled my bow up with a haul line. I was video taping this particular hunt with a new HD camera (they had just come out). I watched a large doe feed across the acorn flat for 30 minutes before she came into range at 20 yards. I settled the red dot between her 3rd and 4th ribs and released the arrow. It flew over her back. She just jumped, looked around for a minute, and went back to feeding on acorns. Looking at my bow, I saw the bracket knob had been bumped and it was set well beyond 30 yards. I was able to adjust it back to 20 yards, nock another arrow, and double lung the doe.

Or so I thought. This is where we go from a technology glitch to a mistake. She ran off like a bee stung her and I heard her fall. She let out a death bawl, so I didn't bother blood trailing or anything, I just got down and walked over to where I heard her fall and bawl. There she lie, but to my great surprise, I walked up to a freshly shot spike with 9" spikes. I had not heard or seen any other hunters nearby, but clearly I had found someone else's deer. I watch the deer for a long time and it was only 20 yards away when I shot. It could not be the same deer.

I had to back trail the blood trail to my arrow to convince myself it was my deer. Under the shadows of the oak canopy, I never saw the spikes. Fortunately I did have a buck tag. After that, I would always save one buck tag (we get 3) till the last week of the season, just in case something like this happens again.

After the hunt, I watched the HD video on a large screen TV. There were 3 spots in the long video where the deer went the sun got through the canopy and you could see the spikes, but other than those 3 moments, you could not tell it was a spike in the video. The spikes just blended into the shaded background.

So, while technology can be an issue, I can be an issue myself!

For this very reason I always keep a backup weapon ready to go, which often comes in handy to loan to a friend as well. As far as transporting a crossbow, I considered the Mission Sub One but Tenpoint was 3.5" narrower so I went with them, the newer, narrower crossbows are a lot more fun to cart around.

For this very reason I always keep a backup weapon ready to go, which often comes in handy to loan to a friend as well. As far as transporting a crossbow, I considered the Mission Sub One but Tenpoint was 3.5" narrower so I went with them, the newer, narrower crossbows are a lot more fun to cart around.Yes
Yes, Tenpoint makes a good crossbow. I fell in love with my Mathews Switchback because I've never had a deer jump the string when using it. It is very quiet. Mission is a spin-off of Mathews, and they have a focus on quiet bows. That is what drew me to the Sub one Lite.

I a backup for most weapons, but I also don't like to have a weapon sitting around kind of wasted when I could be lending it to help bring someone new in to hunting. If I lose a little of my archery season this year but the neighbor boy falls in love with bowhunting, I'll consider it a small sacrifice.

Good News - Bad News...

Bad news first. Mission is not going to cover my screw-up under warranty.

Good News: They are overnighting it, but not sure if it would go out today or tomorrow.

Good News - Bad News...

Bad news first. Mission is not going to cover my screw-up under warranty.

Good News: They are overnighting it, but not sure if it would go out today or tomorrow.

Hopefully you’ll be back in the game by the end of the week, just in time for things to start heating up!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to call for an update today but they are closed on Wednesdays. I don't know if it is just the front office that is closed and he will be working on it or if they take the day off. It doesn't look like I'll be until Friday at the earliest.

Overnight must not mean overnight to Mission. I took the crossbow into the shop on Sun. Mission was closed on Mon. They ordered the parts on Tuesday morning. The shop was closed on Wednesday. I called the store today and the parts have not arrived but they are expecting them today. Looks like tomorrow evening will be my soonest opportunity to hunt.

I can't say I'm happy about how Mission has handled this. The bow damage was my fault, so I can understand why they didn't cover it under warranty (but that would have been a nice courtesy). I don't understand the slow shipping.

Overnight must not mean overnight to Mission. I took the crossbow into the shop on Sun. Mission was closed on Mon. They ordered the parts on Tuesday morning. The shop was closed on Wednesday. I called the store today and the parts have not arrived but they are expecting them today. Looks like tomorrow evening will be my soonest opportunity to hunt.

I can't say I'm happy about how Mission has handled this. The bow damage was my fault, so I can understand why they didn't cover it under warranty (but that would have been a nice courtesy). I don't understand the slow shipping.
It seems like the covid shortages impacted customer service negatively across the board and customer service still hasn't totally come back to pre-covid levels

Finally some good news. I called right when they opened this morning and the bow was done and ready for pickup. I just pick it up. I plan to shoot it this afternoon and make sure everything is good before hunting this evening.

Finally some good news. I called right when they opened this morning and the bow was done and ready for pickup. I just pick it up. I plan to shoot it this afternoon and make sure everything is good before hunting this evening.
Let us know how successful the repair was

I picked it up this morning and took it to the farm. I had to tighten the optics and sight it back in. The nice thing is that the Oracle X remembers the ballistic curve and that didn't change. Once I sighted it in at 20, it was dead on at 30. I generally won't take a shot beyond 30 when hunting, but for practice, I've shot at 50 with that ballistic curve.

Everything seems to be in good working order.

Keep us posted on your hunts. It seems service for crossbows has not caught up to service on compounds yet.

Keep us posted on your hunts. It seems service for crossbows has not caught up to service on compounds yet.
I've been out several times since Friday. Saw my first deer last night, a young 4-point at 20 yards. We seem to be in the typical mid-Oct lull here.

Back