House and Habitat build thread:

Beautiful picture of the pond and fields!

I always thought my dad should have been born, raised, and died in Kansas because he hated trees...really weird for a guy who loved coon and squirrel hunting but I remember the only tree that was ever safe around him was a pecan tree because he loved to eat pecans. He tried and tried to get us boys to completely deforest the land I grew up on with chainsaws and we actually did cut about 10 acres of beautiful red oaks down before we decided to not cut anymore trees...unfortunately that was really the only section of the property that had red oaks other than the trees right around their house and is the reason I am planting so many hard mast trees on that property...

Hope your foot gets better - did you do it on one of those running through and over junk deals?
Lots of cattlemen around here don't like trees. You'll see a crop duster hitting an area one day and in a month every tree on the place is brown. Sounds like your dad would have loved our place. It wouldn't take a lot of cutting to have it pretty barren.
Thanks on the foot thing. I was just out for a run on a mowed path. Nothing spectacular or anything unusual (other than being crippled the last two weeks).

Beautiful image right there^^^ add in a breeze so the wheat waves a little and it's perfect!
Breeze??? There ain't no breeze in Kansas, only 60 mph winds. Only place I've ever ridden and the wind is always whipping the bike off the road. My buddy just sent me a pic from Dodge City yesterday as he passed thru coming home. Some great people in the state..

Breeze??? There ain't no breeze in Kansas, only 60 mph winds. Only place I've ever ridden and the wind is always whipping the bike off the road. My buddy just sent me a pic from Dodge City yesterday as he passed thru coming home. Some great people in the state..

Pretty sure he was talking about the wheat you described in WV...

I love the change in seasons! Not quite there yet, but I think Kansas is the most beautiful when the grass is all reds, yellows, and gold.
5edeb168ef2aaee006b3b4fc678f0b91.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
That view is outstanding, just beautiful.

60mph isn't a comfortable "breeze"?

My wife and I have driven to Ft. Collins, CO a few times. I remember that long drive on I70 across Kansas in the wind. You never realize how much you are gripping the steering wheel to keep the car on course until you encounter a bridge guard rail and boom the wind effect is cut in half!

My wife and I have driven to Ft. Collins, CO a few times. I remember that long drive on I70 across Kansas in the wind. You never realize how much you are gripping the steering wheel to keep the car on course until you encounter a bridge guard rail and boom the wind effect is cut in half!
Those cross winds keep you on your toes! I run a lot, and sometimes you get caught leaning into a crosswind like that and a big cattle truck will speed by. Feels like they are going to suck you into them. It helps hunting though... having a predictable wind without a lot of swirling.

Took the kids on a dove hunt this morning. It was slow, which put a lot of dragonflies, butterflies, dink birds, and sunflowers in danger! Afterwards we collected Sawtooth and Chinkapin acorns.
f0efe3411606e7105b72379a37137321.jpg
ab74f61773cc58693eb462a98943f65c.jpg

Drive the truck under a tree and shake the limbs is a fun way for the kids to collect.
80beca1dc12dda8754c08bd492306dfa.jpg

It never looks like enough in the bed of the truck but we filled a crisper in the fridge.
c21bdd7781275e5cb7a832338d0463db.jpg

After cleaning up we decided to jump some ponds looking for teal. We didn't make it far before finding this:
98a1425e809a6c867e0067307bd74c40.jpg

The very site of them make the hair on my neck stand on end. I don't react well to stings and swell up to comical proportions. Of course my hatred of them instantly creates adventure. A can of spray, lots of screaming, running, arms flailing, and laughter had them reduced to this:
213d18a6f19798ae234ac6d644bda4d5.jpg

It's looking like the plot I want to convert to clover has a good start. Hoping for a rain this weekend to give it a boost.
cb84e9462d309d922bb95242bbf8b7cb.jpg
e520859965996fada901f7291a09f154.jpg

What variety did you plack?Arapaho.Looks good
Don't know the variety. I got them from an old timer who's had them for a few yrs. He couldn't remember the name... Good and reliable producer with a smaller berry. Do you know anything about them? Any insights or tips?

I'd like to plant some thornless blackberries on my place. Do the deer eat them? Wondering if I need to protect, as they would be for the family and not the deer!

I don't know if deer eat them, but I'm currently replanting about half of them because an armadillo dug them up last night. It's time get serious about armadillo hunting!

Back