House and Habitat build thread:

Thanks guys. I am very blessed and thankful for it. I lived my life in town(s) until a yr and two weeks ago. I can't imagine I could ever be happier than I am now!

Weasel, If I remember correctly I bought most of those beans for around $1/lb. That was in the small packages. I imagine the big "Sams" or "Costco's" would probably sell them considerably cheaper in bulk.

I love watching deer out the window...hated it when I had to leave for work and spooked them out of the backyard today...

Good stuff!

Black eyed peas are the clear winner for growth rate, and now they are starting to bloom and vine. They also have a dark green color I like so much. Still don't know how they will handle a frost but I bet they would make a good summer plot mixed with alternating rows of proso millet or sunflowers.
0b5d5fa42dcf62b1cc98c3a35f666fb9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

That is pretty good growth! Your experiment has gotten me thinking about dry edible bean varieties for food plotting. They grow them in western NE where they have even less precip than I do and I dont think most are irrigated. Might have to research that a bit over the winter.

Current state of the dry beans in the throw n mow. I'm very confident they will make plants in these conditions. Deer preference and frost tolerance is still up in the air...
3c0ccd46918f01c6342373439e099dcb.jpg
1a0cb8359a8e0cafd06aebb6c594dc32.jpg
f159b33a92f93e094f02cda3489e1f58.jpg

The yard has been a pain to mow due to goofy and irregular shapes. Decided to square it off and plant clover in the goofy parts. From now on cleth and gly will save me mowing time. Throw n mow as always and it's starting to come up.
afbd52174de66edf0bada797514cb14b.jpg

89e9e6985f3f4b85e1f5a610c3ad70fc.jpg

I think a guy is probably a fool for not planting a clover lawn if you live in the country where the neighbors wont bitch at you. No wildlife value in a fescue, blue grass or even a buffalo grass lawn. I planted a strip this year between my nursery and a established row of trees because I decided a some type of ground cover is better than dirt and weeds. Currently it is the greenest thing in the landscape and I dont think I have watered it but twice this summer and never fertilized it, plus the bees like it! No real need to mow and if it gets dry it will just go dormant until there is adequate moisture.

Beautiful state! I've traveled through a lot of the country and there is no other place I would want to live. We just got over a major dry spell. We had 4yrs in a row recently where the grass never turned green and the trees were yellow. Leafs dropped well before their normal fall times. There were times I worried that most of the trees wouldn't come back the next spring. Now we are getting rain to make up for the drought and it's awesome!

Love the pics of your son hiding from the deer. We often see deer out the door when heading off to work in the morning. I tell everyone, " Heads down. No talking." :p. I forget these deer at the house already know our every move.

^^^ Hunting is almost genetic, just can't change your instincts!
Every see any big bucks at your place? I've wondered how long it takes to start seeing something other than young'ns and does in the yard.

catscratch...View overlooking lake is just amazing. Really enjoying the grocery store bean tests. Would never have thought about doing that. Of most interest is the black eyed peas.

Triple, I've had a blast with the grocery store experiment (I love trying new things). The black eyed peas have caught my attention more than anything else but a lot of the others did germinate with my thrownmow this fall. I doubt we learn much from that plot as there are deer in it every morning and night right now. If any beans make it past 6in it will be because the deer just don't like them... which could be good for a summer planting but I don't think that will be the case.

I love the change in seasons! Not quite there yet, but I think Kansas is the most beautiful when the grass is all reds, yellows, and gold.
5edeb168ef2aaee006b3b4fc678f0b91.jpg

I think it is at its best in mid june as the WW that seems to cover the entire state has turned a golden tint in the evening sun. But who can argue with that pic. Good stuff with your broadcast plantings.

Beautiful picture of the pond and fields!

I always thought my dad should have been born, raised, and died in Kansas because he hated trees...really weird for a guy who loved coon and squirrel hunting but I remember the only tree that was ever safe around him was a pecan tree because he loved to eat pecans. He tried and tried to get us boys to completely deforest the land I grew up on with chainsaws and we actually did cut about 10 acres of beautiful red oaks down before we decided to not cut anymore trees...unfortunately that was really the only section of the property that had red oaks other than the trees right around their house and is the reason I am planting so many hard mast trees on that property...

Hope your foot gets better - did you do it on one of those running through and over junk deals?

I think it is at its best in mid june as the WW that seems to cover the entire state has turned a golden tint in the evening sun. But who can argue with that pic. Good stuff with your broadcast plantings.

Beautiful image right there^^^ add in a breeze so the wheat waves a little and it's perfect!

Back