House and Habitat build thread:

This one won't make it another yr. Lighting got it week or so ago.
1b661eb9728771db33ee56da4a6a113d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

A great stand of switch that my dad planted many yrs ago. I've harvested seed from it and transplanted it with good luck from both.
358a11a63fee932c500c5daf06b5638f.jpg

Man, you are planting so much stuff I would not know which ones were coming up. Good luck with it. Some of those are some fairly large seed but your thatch seems sufficient. With that and timely rains it should go great.

Last edited:
I assume a high failure rate and plant a lot because of it. I also go with a large variety of plants just so that if condition don't favor one thing, they might favor another. Plus I think no one plant is attractive all season.
For new plants that I'm not familiar with I do a small test plot in the yard like I did with the food grade beans this yr. I learning a lot about them: black eyed peas canopy quickly, lintels don't look anyt
hing like I imagined, and another one of them sent out tentacles and would be great if they had something to climb...

Sawtooth Oak drops acorns in mid to late October in Springfield, MO., are yours already dropping?

Not really. One of the trees had dropped a few, the others range from large and green, to caps with barely a nut showing. Lots of variety with these trees.

The throw n mow continues to work on our place. The grocery store beans are going to make it. The cover plot is doing well, as well as the cereal grain plots.
5f85004ffea2b86f6215ad8518ccdca7.jpg
22c827b71c592aeb953d092d61ac4d4b.jpg
be5fb81ad0108ee24ff62052eac18e25.jpg
060c585b01022028a39759b30bc0bb86.jpg

Look at the aggregate stability on the young roots...soil life in the ryhzosphere....one of the most important 'little things' in soil health. From the time a seed germinates until about mid bloom, plants are continually building soil for you....new roots, new root symbiosis, new aggregates, new life...and why some want to totally destroy that soil system is beyond me! I like to upset the plant maturity curve to lengthen soil building time.....by disturbing the top to get more root activity. A plant is a tool and tools need to be tweaked from time to time...once a tool is beyond it's useful age it is of little value for performing a job!

Look at the aggregate stability on the young roots...soil life in the ryhzosphere....one of the most important 'little things' in soil health. From the time a seed germinates until about mid bloom, plants are continually building soil for you....new roots, new root symbiosis, new aggregates, new life...and why some want to totally destroy that soil system is beyond me! I like to upset the plant maturity curve to lengthen soil building time.....by disturbing the top to get more root activity. A plant is a tool and tools need to be tweaked from time to time...once a tool is beyond it's useful age it is of little value for performing a job!

So your saying I did something right... ;)

My view tonight: kids window hunting does and fawns in the "yard plots" (they still whisper and hide even though they are in the house).
2334fa99b39fba824d0e806790a944f2.jpg
60bfbdcc1db330e672aa838f4c1b9ba5.jpg

And a gorgeous view of the moon, lake, and a distant thunderhead. Ignore the Halloween decorations...
39151c309f1ff9db1a2d46fab6b4e4fa.jpg

You've been busy! Running, plotting, drywalling, dove hunting...whew! Good stuff. Just out of curiosity, what's the grocery store plot mix going for per pound? Everything looks great.

Back