Hawggardville

Wayne,
I put my newly grafted trees there to grow over the summer where I can keep a good watch on them. I'll move them to their permanent location at the farm once they go dormant thus fall.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Merle

Are your grafted trees in pots or do you plant them in that seed bed?

I have 12 grafted pear trees in pots now but they were just grafted. I am keeping them in the basement now and will move them to the greenhouse around April 20th.

Wayne

Wayne Merle keeps his in a damp potting mix for a few days to allow the graft to callus up then he plants them out in his seed bed. I graft mine and then straight to pots and leave them there. Either method works.

You getting any top growth on your chestnuts yet? I've got 26 direct seeded and so far so good I'm not expecting to see top growth for a few more weeks but Ive never done this before either.

You getting any top growth on your chestnuts yet? I've got 26 direct seeded and so far so good I'm not expecting to see top growth for a few more weeks but Ive never done this before either.
None of my direct seeded ones were growing as of Tuesday when I was at the farm. I won't start sweating it out till the middle of April with no growth here.

My tull graft showing green! It looks like I'm 100 percent on the first 4 Arkansas Beauty and Tull trees I did.
I should end up with plenty, because of how rare the two varieties are I grafted several.
6501981fb482030bb4ff2eb3b5ff48db.jpg
87c2487a54b9a615d1e06cb3b807d66e.jpg

Merle

Are your grafted trees in pots or do you plant them in that seed bed?

I have 12 grafted pear trees in pots now but they were just grafted. I am keeping them in the basement now and will move them to the greenhouse around April 20th.

Wayne
Wayne,
Chuck pretty much answered, but I'll add, when I dig my trees in the fall I more often than not get most of the dirt with the roots. I dig around the whip and put it all in a 5 gallon bucket, I can usually get several 2 each bucket by just adding the next beside the other or on top to the side.

Looking good Merle. I think you are going to have lots of apples this year. I thought we were home free but some freezing temps forecasted tonight - hoping not too bad.

Looking good Merle. I think you are going to have lots of apples this year. I thought we were home free but some freezing temps forecasted tonight - hoping not too bad.
Hopefully it won't get you to hard. I had it get down to 23 one night and just had a few black leaves and some dropped pears to show for it. I had an Anna apple in full bloom not the least bothered.

Nice shed hopefully he makes a return visit to see you this fall. By the looks of it you should have plenty of apples and pears for him to try out too. We checked on our chestnuts today and I'm seeing some top growth now anywhere from 1-4in. Considering removing the jugs this Friday then adding cages weed mats and window screen. How long you keeping your jugs?

Nice shed hopefully he makes a return visit to see you this fall. By the looks of it you should have plenty of apples and pears for him to try out too. We checked on our chestnuts today and I'm seeing some top growth now anywhere from 1-4in. Considering removing the jugs this Friday then adding cages weed mats and window screen. How long you keeping your jugs?
I'll keep the bottles at least a year. I will cut the tops all the way out and the bottom of the Styrofoam then flip it.. When I flip the cups I'll get a pic to show what it looks like.

Here is a chestnut sprouting! You can see how I cut out the bottom of the Styrofoam cup and the size of the opening in the bottle.
1198dc4717bc3a45261f3048d8c24627.jpg

Then I flip the cup small side down and shove it in the opening of the bottle. I'll add a little tape to make sure it stays in place. The tree will grow out while the bottle and cup add protection from the aforementioned tree hating creatures.
44507f015ad3d98e2f7f6569a9214c77.jpg

Nice! I think I might go that route too. Do you think that will constrict airflow around the base of the tree and if so any negative effects?

Back