Hawggardville

Spent yesterday planting apple, pear, and a few chestnut trees Chuck and I grew over the summer in root pouches. A lot of screening and caging was involved too. All the apples are on b118 except this dolgo on mm111.20161207_130600.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Slowly working my 1 year old fruit trees out of my bed at the house to the farm. Had a backup captain Davis I put on b118 last spring in case the bridge graft was a total failure and a king David on the same I planted today.
My biggest project today was direct seeding accf chestnuts. Miss Lucille sent 40 miles chestnuts last fall, got 10 of them out today.
I mixed up between south and northeast facing slopes, but all are planted in a good sandy loam.
ed505fad9f380179f059b682c992eff2.jpg

I used liter coke bottle with the bottom cut out and 4 slots cut about 4 inches on the bottom.

I filled the bottle first then backfilled around it. Dropped in a chestnut and covered it with about a half inch or so of dirt.
d8e665c1ee1da702538264e46aae9fe0.jpg

20170124_132422.jpegThen made a hybrid version of what the acf does. I put a Styrofoam cup with a small hole in the side facing east on the bottle.
I them taped it all up and drove a metal stake next to it that I also taped to the bottle.

After that i put a small wire cage on each one and staked it down too. I plan on planting more next week.
The 10 today should give me an idea if i need to add more varmint protection or not.20170124_145931.jpeg

Nice thread I like that direct seeding protection. How did your t bud oak turn out? The bridge graft was awesome too!

Nice thread I like that direct seeding protection. How did your t bud oak turn out? The bridge graft was awesome too!
Thanks DLH. I'll cut just above the bud I put in it pretty soon and hopefully it will grow out. I have doubts about it though as I had trouble with the bark not slipping. The walnuts I did slipped great though.

I've been doing some jug planting for vegetables- the technique is called winter sowing. Basically using plastic jugs as a mini greenhouse. I was just daydreaming about how to use this for trees when I saw this!

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Love the pop bottle min greenhouse/tree protection you have going on! It will be interesting to see how that turn's out!
When the chestnuts start growing, I'll take the cup off and cut out the bottom of it.
Then finish cutting the top out of the coke bottle and put the cup back down into the bottle.
It should give the seedling protection from the sharp edges of the plastic bottle while the bottle still fends of voles, rabbits, tree hating faries, and any of the other creatures that seem to enjoy defeating my best efforts

very cool on the direct seeding. That looks like a great idea. I hope you keep us update as the nut sprouts this spring.

enjoy the updates
todd

very cool on the direct seeding. That looks like a great idea. I hope you keep us update as the nut sprouts this spring.

enjoy the updates
todd
At the very least nothing has gotten to them this past week.
I had hoped to get more planted today, but I planted 3 apples then worked on all of them. Next week back to chestnuts.

Merle

The coke bottle - is it a 2 liter bottle?

You are cutting the bottom out I think. Do you put an slits in the side in a vertical alignment?

l believe you have a great plan. Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

Merle

The coke bottle - is it a 2 liter bottle?

You are cutting the bottom out I think. Do you put an slits in the side in a vertical alignment?

l believe you have a great plan. Thanks for sharing.

Wayne
Yes, I use 2 liter bottles and half gallon milk jugs as well.
I cut the bottom out and make 4 cuts vertically.
My hope is it will still offer protection from tunneling vermin, but not isolate the tree as much as a solid bottle would.

Up at the farm today, planted my last 2 apples and 2 pears then started back direct seeding my accf chestnuts.
Tried to get creative by cutting out large cedar trees and planting in the opening.
While I was searching out good places I found these at the bottom of a pretty steep ridge.
One is an old well, still has the pump pipe in place and the valve even worked.
The other is right over the spring.
Anyone know what this is?
My guess is it was used to keep things cool in the days before refrigeration, but it's just my guess.
I suggested to neahawg that we take off the top and make this a place to cool off after a hot day!
He wasn't nearly as enthusiastic.
619580820edefe7e975aa245f286b730.jpg

The old pump house. I've drove within 20 feet of both of these in the horse pasture and never saw either.
031bc0d9ea29cc29df0b075e93f10c4e.jpg

Back