AU Buck Chestnut regrowth?

split toe

I planted a few AU Buck chesnuts a few years ago and a few died, however I have got regrowth below the graft, what could I expect from that regrowth?

Probably just a seedling Chinese Chestnut would be my guess. I figure they just take seedlings and graft AUs to them.

It will still produce a lot of chestnuts and I know they have the AU buck chestnuts at the nursery because they sell Seedlings from the au buck IV now so you never know you may get a unique late dropper.

How are your AU bucks doing Native? Any trouble with them? Have yet to order any but considering a few

Well, I was never lucky enough to get one. The only one I was interested in was the AU IV. The last time I called them they said my name was on the list. I'm really considering just forgetting about them due to the problems folks have had with them not surviving. I have chestnuts that drop almost through October, and I have different types of soft mast that will carry me through the end of the year.

Take Care - Steve

Well, I was never lucky enough to get one. The only one I was interested in was the AU IV. The last time I called them they said my name was on the list. I'm really considering just forgetting about them due to the problems folks have had with them not surviving. I have chestnuts that drop almost through October, and I have different types of soft mast that will carry me through the end of the year.

Take Care - Steve

Yep my one producing dunstan started dropping mid October here in Mo.
Plan for my Ms laneen pears, Arkansas black, Yates, an gold rush to fill that late season gap.
Their is always WW an turnips too:)

Jordan

Take Care - Steve

From what I understand they have plenty of trees available. They'll sell them individually too if you don't want a package deal. I'm thinking about purchasing the package this year.

Matt

From what I understand they have plenty of trees available. They'll sell them individually too if you don't want a package deal. I'm thinking about purchasing the package this year.

Matt

Thanks for the info.

It was actually spring of this year the last time I called them and asked about the AU IV. At that time they told me they didn't have any but would put me on a list of people waiting. Before that time, I had also been unsuccessful getting the chestnut I wanted.

I ended up ordering some more late dropping pears rather than chestnuts. Since that time they have added a different late dropping pear to their selection, and my next order will be a couple of those and a couple more Dozier Crabapples. They were also out of Dozier early this year when I called.

If you want any specific trees from the Wildlife Group, Allen will hook you up. Call and talk to him.

BUT, like I've said in other threads, I do not think the AU buck chestnuts are hardy enough to survive in the wild when they are shipped out. I've had numerous trees break during shipment, I've had grafts simply fail, and I lost a graft during high winds. If you want these trees, put them in a 3 gallon root maker and baby them at your house for a year, then transplant them.

Are you going to try the IV this year Steve? I know we had talked about it earlier this year.

Are you going to try the IV this year Steve? I know we had talked about it earlier this year.

Daniel, per the info that Cutman and others have provided, I won't, because I don't want to have to baby them inside for a long time before being able to plant. I just don't have the space or time for it. I'm so happy with what my pears, crabapples and persimmons are doing right now with little or no special attention, I'm not thinking so much anymore about the IV.

But, I'm sure if you want to call and discuss it, you can talk me into it someway....:)

I kinda thought you had reconsidered after hearing from others especially at the price point. I wish I had one close to my house I could baby then go from there. I wonder with all the failures if there are any graft incompatibilities going on there especially with chestnuts.

I have also had mixed results with the AU Chestnuts but seem to have gotten over the hump. First batch of 12 was planted 3.5 years ago and they struggled with hardly any growth,. Two died but came back from root. I planted another batch two years later and they have pretty much caught up with first batch in size. Once again 2 died but came back from root..I realized later I had bought the first batch late in the year and they were basically left over junk.As of last week all but two trees were out of the tubes and one of the second batch trees had burs.This is a pic of
the first batch I took last week

IMG_1053_zpsdkubdi33.jpg

Aren't they a grafted tree? When I read come back from roots, I think any growth below the graft was to be pruned.

Folks, am I looking at this wrong? For me, if they came back from roots I would certainly keep them but would have a concern if they were actually what I was looking for.

You are right WPB, the new growth will just be a regular Chestnut. I am looking for a wide drop time spread and have enough of the IV's that I just let em grow as opposed to starting all over again.

Brad

I would say you are sitting in a good position. When trees begin to bear you will have great variety over a long period of time. Those chestnuts will benefit the deer headed into winter. ;)

Congrats 2 U.

Yeah, the seedlings do resprout from the roots when the graft dies, but that's a pretty darn expensive Chinese chestnut!

No doubt that is an expensive regular Chestnut but if I replanted I am out 3 years and am too old for that. I will just plant a few more Buck IV's this year, I have plenty of room.

Back