Looking for Dunstan Chestnut with specific characteristic

Yes there’s one in particular that I have my eye on. It’s going to pain me to do it as it seems to be a particularly productive limb\branch but it’s growing more lateral than up and when it has a load on it bends way down because the limbs aren’t very big in caliper. If it was anything else besides a late dropper I would have culled this tree long ago.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hey Matt, you told me to get ahold of you about a month ago about nuts. Looks like they’re getting close!! I do have a question for you, what do you think about direct seeding chestnut nuts in the fall? I have super thick tubes that will keep them safe from predation. Is that a viable option?

Matt, since we are talking chestnuts, I have one tree that makes much larger nuts than the others. Drop time is about October 1. As far as I know, this is just a run of the mill seedling Chinese. How do these nuts shown below compare in size to most chestnuts that you see?

View attachment 26268

I’d say above average if you’re comparing to a normal size Dunstan. Those look nice.

Here’s some off another young tree that I have. It only made a few this year but what it did make look pretty good. Wish I had put a ruler by the nuts. This is another Chinese hybrid

50e1ed384d6e18c497de6cc5299cfca0.jpg

Hey Matt, you told me to get ahold of you about a month ago about nuts. Looks like they’re getting close!! I do have a question for you, what do you think about direct seeding chestnut nuts in the fall? I have super thick tubes that will keep them safe from predation. Is that a viable option?

Yes we’re probably still a couple of weeks out on the late dropping chestnuts. You can give direct seeding a try but I’ve not had much luck with it. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. I even bought one of those Squirrel nut planters

In theory this thing should work but I planted over 300 sawtooth acorns last year and had exactly one tree come up. I also planted many chestnuts with it and none of them came up. All of the chestnuts had been properly stratified so that wasn’t it. Either they just didn’t come up or they got found. If you have a way to protect them then I don’t see why direct seeding wouldn’t work as long as you live where it gets cold enough. Down here in Texas we don’t get enough cold weather required for proper stratification.

Matt

Yes we’re probably still a couple of weeks out on the late dropping chestnuts. You can give direct seeding a try but I’ve not had much luck with it. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. I even bought one of those Squirrel nut planters

In theory this thing should work but I planted over 300 sawtooth acorns last year and had exactly one tree come up. I also planted many chestnuts with it and none of them came up. All of the chestnuts had been properly stratified so that wasn’t it. Either they just didn’t come up or they got found. If you have a way to protect them then I don’t see why direct seeding wouldn’t work as long as you live where it gets cold enough. Down here in Texas we don’t get enough cold weather required for proper stratification.

Matt

The cold should not be a problem here in zone 6b. I might try a couple and see what happens. I’m going to direct seed some ac nuts from yoder and I’ll put out a few chestnuts as well. I’ll also plan to grow some in rootmakers, like you instructed. When I grew sawtoothes in these tubes I dropped a handful of dirt on top of the nuts, I’ll plan to do the same with the ac nuts and chestnuts.

I’d say above average if you’re comparing to a normal size Dunstan. Those look nice.

Here’s some off another young tree that I have. It only made a few this year but what it did make look pretty good. Wish I had put a ruler by the nuts. This is another Chinese hybrid

50e1ed384d6e18c497de6cc5299cfca0.jpg

Yes, those look nice.

The day I picked mine up, I weighed a sample of them on my reloading scales and came up with 21.84 nuts per pound. I’ve been meaning to research that, but haven’t yet. I know there are cultivars bigger, but these seemed a lot bigger than the others I grow.

@mattpatt , I have some nuts from a Route 9 timber form (Chinese hybrid) that fall free from their burrs here in zone 6. Any chance you have any AU Buck to trade for?

Yes, those look nice.

The day I picked mine up, I weighed a sample of them on my reloading scales and came up with 21.84 nuts per pound. I’ve been meaning to research that, but haven’t yet. I know there are cultivars bigger, but these seemed a lot bigger than the others I grow.

Now you got me wanting to pull my scale out. lol

Yes, those look nice.

Native,

Finally remembered to pull my scale out. My biggest late dropping chestnuts average .5oz. My other late dropping tree has yet to release its burrs. So that gives me 32 nuts per pound. I didn’t weigh my Dunstan as they didn’t do very good this year and were small.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Native,

Finally remembered to pull my scale out. My biggest late dropping chestnuts average .5oz. My other late dropping tree has yet to release its burrs. So that gives me 32 nuts per pound. I didn’t weigh my Dunstan as they didn’t do very good this year and were small.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Two days ago I went to the late dropping tree. Lots of burrs still tight and some opened. I picked up 17 nuts off the ground and all but about 5 nuts had fallen free from burrs. I will check again next week.

The tree with the large nuts had finished.

My Chinkapins are just beginning to open up some.IMG_3544.jpeg
IMG_3489.jpeg
Left to right:
Big chestnut
Average chestnut
Bush form chinkapin
Tree form chinkapin

Back