Revival Chestnut

mattpatt

Has anyone heard of this variety of Chestnut? Apparently it’s supposed to be a close cousin to the Dunstan? Anyway, wondering if anyone has any trees or nuts or I would really love some scion wood to graft on to a few of my Walmart Dunstan trees.

Thanks,
Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I have heard of them. They are supposedly a Chinese/American Hybrid. You can buy a tiny one for $30 at the link below:

I have an Eaton River Chestnut that is supposed to be a Japanese/Chinese/American cross. It's getting to be a big tree and is making nuts, but the quantity of nuts has been disappointing so far. I hope that it just needs more time, but it is already like 30 feet tall. A Chinese tree that tall will be making 4 times the nuts of the Eaton River.

Yes, I have heard of them. They are supposedly a Chinese/American Hybrid. You can buy a tiny one for $30 at the link below:

I have an Eaton River Chestnut that is supposed to be a Japanese/Chinese/American cross. It's getting to be a big tree and is making nuts, but the quantity of nuts has been disappointing so far. I hope that it just needs more time, but it is already like 30 feet tall. A Chinese tree that tall will be making 4 times the nuts of the Eaton River.

Was hoping someone had already invested in some trees. lol

Sounds like it would be a good candidate to do some grafting experiments on some Dunstans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never heard of it. Just sounds like some generic Chinese x American cross, which there are plenty of.

What characteristics are you trying to get in a tree?

One of the original/early Dunstan trees was called revival. I asked around about it a few years ago. The only lead I got was the Univ of Missouri had a grafted tree, but it died of blight a few years earlier. Assuming that's true, i wouldn't want any part of it, if you can even find it.

In my opinion, Buzz at Perfect Circle Farm is a one of the best sellers of chestnut trees. Reach out to him for advice on which trees will fit your goals and growing conditions.

Never heard of it. Just sounds like some generic Chinese x American cross, which there are plenty of.

What characteristics are you trying to get in a tree?

One of the original/early Dunstan trees was called revival. I asked around about it a few years ago. The only lead I got was the Univ of Missouri had a grafted tree, but it died of blight a few years earlier. Assuming that's true, i wouldn't want any part of it, if you can even find it.

In my opinion, Buzz at Perfect Circle Farm is a one of the best sellers of chestnut trees. Reach out to him for advice on which trees will fit your goals and growing conditions.

Just trying to add a little diversity. Actually was wanting to graft a few of these cheap Dunstan that I got on clearance at Walmart but I’m finding that chestnuts do not necessarily take grafting very well.

Matt

Personally, I'd pick something from this list. Buzz goes all over the US to gather these.

Personally, I'd pick something from this list. Buzz goes all over the US to gather these.

Yeah I may have to pass on those. In the description…

“If you dont have weevils in your area already, don’t buy any any of these seed!”

I’m in TX. I don’t have weevils. I appreciate the suggestion though.

Matt

I'd proceed with caution if ordering from Ty Ty....lots of bad reviews out there about them.

I agree. I have never ordered from them and don't trust them. I only posted that link to illustrate that someone was trying to sell it.

Actually, it was somewhat of a sarcastic post, because I couldn't believe anyone would pay $30 for a 1 foot chestnut tree.

What's even more ridiculous is that someone would pay Stark Brothers $65 for a chestnut seedling:

Yeah I may have to pass on those. In the description…

“If you dont have weevils in your area already, don’t buy any any of these seed!”

I’m in TX. I don’t have weevils. I appreciate the suggestion though.

Matt

If you look at the listings for each seed, they're each ID'ed as possibly having weevils. When you get them, put them in a water bath of 120 degrees for 20 minutes to kill any weevils or other larvae. Buzz is honest about what he's sending out, probably to his detriment. I doubt most sellers are smart or honest enough to fess up if there are weevils in what they're growing.

I've gotten seed with weevils in it before. The larva usually pops out pretty quickly into the cold stratification process. (a few weeks) You could always destroy seed if you manage to find any pests.

Back