Archery, will it ever be the same again?

but it's not going to make you any friends.

Im not looking for friends. I dont alter reality in an effort to gain friends. I call a spade a spade and speak honestly and truthfully and will not be held responsible for bruised egos or knee jerk injuries.

If you are calling a spade a spade didn't you fight the inclusion of crossbows into wisconsin archery season. Now you are supporting all types of weapons for hunting.

I used to sit on the board of the Wisconsin Bowhunters Assoc. Im currently on the board of the Wisconsin Bowhunting heritage foundation museum which records and tabulates the history of hunting with a bow and arrow. Im a traveling bowhunter. Bowhunting is what I do and who I am. At the same time, Ive purchased a few crossbows and set them up for people that were not interested or capable of taking up bowhunting. My father is a good example. He never bowhunted but in his 70's we got hi set up to be a crosser. 2 years ago I bought him an new stocked bolt slinger and bolts and broadheads and lighted nocks and several ground blinds. He is 84 now and cannot bowhunt but as a crosser, he is killing it. I fully endorse and support and fund that. Ive done it with my older brother who because of a life of construction cannot get it done with a bow and arrow. I got him set up for crossbowing and he is knocking them dead. He calls it his rut rifle. He only hunts about 2 weeks a year. He used to bowhunt when younger and never took a deer beyond 25 yards. With his bolt slinger, he took his buck this year at 44 yards. That is a deer that would have walked if it passed by him back when he was a bowhunter. I support and endorse and fund all that crossing. at some point I too will quit the sport of bowhunting and become a crosser. I dont fear that day. I wont pose as a bowhunter when that happens. These comments might upset some. I wont care. I promise that. I speak honestly and truthfully.

Last edited:
If you are calling a spade a spade didn't you fight the inclusion of crossbows into wisconsin archery season. Now you are supporting all types of weapons for hunting.

I mostly tried to keep his personal history an aside from this conversation, but yes, it is quite ironic and amusing the preaching one thing and doing the other.

No, we fought to create a separate crossbow license and crossbow season and crossbow registration for crossbow kills. We were successful in doing that. WI has an archery deer season and an archery deer license and archery kills are registered as such. We have a crossbow version of that that is separate so that we can see the success rates of all weapons types.

As expected, the crossers have the highest buck kill success rate (even higher than gun deer hunters) and why there is action to adjust the duration of the crossbow season.

I buy the archery deer license, my father buys the crossbow license. I just registered another archery kill and my father has to register his as a crossbow kill as we kept them separate.

I support both different weapons and sports.

Last edited:
No, A crosser is the user of a crossbow for hunting. They cant be called bowhunters since they are not bowhunting. Or call them crossbowers or whatever that sort calls what they do. I support the crossers even if I have zero interest in that sort of thing. I enjoy bowhunting too much to quit and take up a different sport. Bowhunting is not for everybody and some cant get it done with a bow and arrow so they need the stocked bolt slinger to enjoy success.

. I get my most enjoyment and satisfaction hunting small game like deer and black bear with all homemade traditional bowhunting gear that I design and make myself. Ive taken deer and black bear with a longbow I designed and made myself, using arrows I make using the feathers from turkey I killed as the fletchings. I use a homemade broadhead of my design that I make out of old saw blades. I made my finger tab out of the leather upper from an of pair of Sorel boots. This is the last black bear I killed with all homemade primitive trad archery gear. The smaller bear I killed with my truck on the drive home from the hunt. For large or dangerous game more robust than my 48 pound longbow would attempt, I will use a compound (a different human powered bow I have to draw and hold with only human effort at the time of the attempt to kill.) I am a bowhunter but at the same time I support the crossers to do thier different (non-bowhunting ) activity.
Here I thought by "crosser" you meant a cross-dresser? So I guess then a "wheeler" is a guy with a compound? and a "sticker" would be a guy with a stickbow... I get the vibe that you are using that term as insinuating that guys like myself, 2 years past reconstructive shoulder/ rotator cuff surgery, are taking the easier way to kill a deer?
I will have you know that when the season rolls around I will take one of my bows (crossbow, compound bow, whatever) off the shelf and go bow hunting, because the phrase bowhunting has been around since Shakespeare coined it in 400 BC.

Here I thought by "crosser" you meant a cross-dresser? So I guess then a "wheeler" is a guy with a compound? and a "sticker" would be a guy with a stickbow... I get the vibe that you are using that term as insinuating that guys like myself, 2 years past reconstructive shoulder/ rotator cuff surgery, are taking the easier way to kill a deer?
I will have you know that when the season rolls around I will take one of my bows (crossbow, compound bow, whatever) off the shelf and go bow hunting, because the phrase bowhunting has been around since Shakespeare coined it in 400 BC.

I laughed. Thanks for that.:D

I design bowhunting products for my company and other bowhunting and crossbowing companies that reach out to me to design solutions. At the same time I do one off design projects for both bowhunters and crossers that have specific needs.

This is an example of a crosser with such bad shoulders he could not use a single crank to cock his bolt slinger. He could not hold the crossbow in one hand and turn the crank. I designed a sled that would mount to his ATV and I made a 2nd handle so he could cock the bolt slinger with 2 hands like bike pedals. This is the result. I support and endorse and support and fund and design solutions for both types of hunters (bowhunters and crossers)

By now I think folks understand my point. I support bowhunters like these.

Attachments

• bowhunteraa.JPG
    bowhunteraa.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 0
  • bowhunterb.JPG
    bowhunterb.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 0
And crossers like these.

A big thumbs up to both types of hunters.

Its great that there is bowhunting and an alternative to bowhunting. Nobody is excluded from the woods.

Attachments

• ravina.JPG
    ravina.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 0
  • thumb.JPG
    thumb.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
No, we fought to create a separate crossbow license and crossbow season and crossbow registration for crossbow kills. We were successful in doing that. WI has an archery deer season and an archery deer license and archery kills are registered as such. We have a crossbow version of that that is separate so that we can see the success rates of all weapons types.

As expected, the crossers have the highest buck kill success rate (even higher than gun deer hunters) and why there is action to adjust the duration of the crossbow season.

I buy the archery deer license, my father buys the crossbow license. I just registered another archery kill and my father has to register his as a crossbow kill as we kept them separate.

I support both different weapons and sports.
We've got enough red tape in government here in Pennsylvania without guys fighting for a separate crossbow license. With the extra (unnecessary) law you fought for I'd have had to buy one more tag this year to be able to switch from my crossbow to my compound. I feel like we already have too many regulations .

Last edited:
I believe Roy plagerized…….Just Saying
The History of Modern Bowhunting

Bowhunting dates back to the Stone Age and can be traced throughout history in many regions around the world, including Asia, Europe, and North America. Native Americans were skilled bowhunters. Although their bows and arrows were often crude, they overcame the limitations of their equipment with their exceptional ability to stalk within close range of wary prey. The ability to get close to game remains the essence of all bowhunting today.

As immigrants moved into North America, they gradually combined European and Native American archery techniques and technology. The first archery club in America, known as the United Bowmen of Philadelphia, was formed in 1828.

The writings of bowhunters Will and Maurice Thompson helped popularize bowhunting in the 1860s and 1870s. In 1878, Maurice Thompson published the book The Witchery of Archery, which inspired many more individuals to pick up a bow and arrow. In 1879, the newly founded National Archery Association (NAA) held the first U.S.–sponsored tournament.

The Fathers of Bowhunting

Dr. Saxton Pope and Arthur Young are widely regarded as the “Fathers of Bowhunting.” In the early 1900s, Pope and Young cared for Ishi, the last known survivor of the Yana tribal group in California. Ishi impressed them with his bowhunting skills. He demonstrated how he made his equipment and stalked and shot game. Pope and Young followed his lead and took a variety of large and small game with archery equipment. In 1923, Pope published the book Hunting with the Bow and Arrow, which introduced many Americans to bowhunting.

You (and they) are taking the words (bowhunting and bowhunter) that Roy coined and then back dating the actions of others for lack of another usable term. Like taking the term we use today like "networking" and applying it to what people did in the stone age. Its a common thing people do for lack of a better term. You have the word "bowhunter" available to you today and then use Roy's word to talk about something that happened in the stone age (before they have a spoken language above grunts.)

https://www.bowhunting.net/2014/02/a-case-for-bowhunting/

I wonder. Who are the pioneers of crossbowing? who are the founding fathers for crossing? ;)

You flatter me. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I think there are those trying to convince themselves that crossers are bowhunters. (they waste their time) at the same time I think there are actually those here that think they can undo facts and history and pretend they have the ability to change my mind and the truth of the matter. They too waste their time. I fully support you wasting your time as you see fit. It is after all your time to waste so I will entertain additional attempts to try to change facts and history. ;)

At the same time, know this, if you are a crosser. I fully support your crossing. When I get really really old or suffer an injury that causes me to have to quit the sport of bowhunting, I will join the ranks of crossers. (proudly) and I wont ever try to pass myself off as a bowhunter.

Back