Hunting crossbow for under $500

cegawiv

I am looking at getting a crossbow for hunting. Due to having way too many other expensive hobbies would like to keep it at the $500 or close to it.

Not many shops in my area stock crossbows, they can only be used during the rifle season so they are not very popular. I really won't have much of a chance to try them out before purchasing.

One shop has a PSE Fang 350 in stock and a Barnett that was over $900 so I didn't ask to look at the Barnett. Unfortunately they won't let you shoot one before purchasing it.

Another shop had a couple Bear crossbows that were the reverse draw style but the guy there didn't know anything about them, not even the prices, I need to go back when the shop owner is there, they will let you shoot them before purchasing but I went to the Bear website and they didn't even show crossbows? So I am thinking they are discontinued

Any thoughts on a PSE Fang 350 verses the Bear Bruzer and a Torix I think they were

I am looking at getting a crossbow for hunting. Due to having way too many other expensive hobbies would like to keep it at the $500 or close to it.

Not many shops in my area stock crossbows, they can only be used during the rifle season so they are not very popular. I really won't have much of a chance to try them out before purchasing.

One shop has a PSE Fang 350 in stock and a Barnett that was over $900 so I didn't ask to look at the Barnett. Unfortunately they won't let you shoot one before purchasing it.

Another shop had a couple Bear crossbows that were the reverse draw style but the guy there didn't know anything about them, not even the prices, I need to go back when the shop owner is there, they will let you shoot them before purchasing but I went to the Bear website and they didn't even show quality crossbows for less than $500? So I am thinking they are discontinued

Any thoughts on a PSE Fang 350 verses the Bear Bruzer and a Torix I think they were
thanks in advance for any help

Not a specific answer to your question, but just some food for thought. A crossbow is a short range weapon. My limit is 30 yards under pristine conditions. Too much can go wrong when you get beyond that distance. Most of the low end crossbows are loud. String jumping is a significant issues. For some reason, the industry likes to tout speed and distance. In a realistic hunting situation just about any crossbow is plenty fast at 30 yards or less. So don't fall for the speed hype, look for a quiet crossbow. I know Mission, which is a spin-off of Mathews does focus on quiet bows. They may all be out of your price range. I have a Sub-one Lite and love it. I have not has a single string jumping issues since I got it.

Years ago, I read a study that looked at successful bow hunts and wounding rates for a large group of experienced bowhunters. This was before crossbows were legal in most states. The average shot distance of a successful harvest was 12 yards. When you got beyond 20 yards wounding rates rose quickly and became intolerable beyond 30 yards. Keep in mind this study was done in an eastern woodland hunting environment, not out west.

Crossbows have not increased that distance, but they have opened the door for more hunters to be successful at short range. A compound or recurve or stick bows require a lot of practice. Much of the shooting error is derived from differences in the shooters form from shot to shot. A crossbow, with a rail and fixed power stroke enforces much of a shooters form. This means that folks with limited practice time can be more successful with a crossbow than a vertical bow.

The reason I bring this up is that you say they are only legal to use during rifle season in your state. They are no substitute for a firearm, but that doesn't mean they can't be a fun alternative if you are looking for more challenge.

The only thing I would say is that if a pro shop won't setup and let you shoot a bow at their range before purchase, I'd look for a new pro shop. If possible, find one with an outdoor range. It is much easier to assess noise with your ear in an outdoor environment with no echoes. If you have a sound meter (db meter), be sure to place it downrange facing you and shoot past it. Sound level is more important downrange at 20 yards or so than it is at the shooting position. Parallel limbs tend to direct sound laterally away from deer than standard limbs, but each bow is different.

Good luck in your search and be sure to report back with the good, bad, and ugly once you buy one!

I have a Barnett FX2 bought within your price range and it has been a great hunting tool.

Not as fast as some that reach 400 fps+ but in the 380 range.

I have shot 3 deer with it and recovered all 3. First dropped within 40 yards. Rest went a bit further but all were under 100 yrds easy.

I have mine sighted to 40 yards and at that range I can hit a 2 inch Bullseye every time, but I prefer 30 yards.

Mine was loud but I added the String Stops that Barnett includes on their more expensive bows and it was an easy bolt on and made a big difference.

I don't know where you live but Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, Academy Sports, and Dick's Sporting Goods all carry a range of Crossbows and usually have them in stock. I don't know of any of those that will let you shoot one without being the Buyer though.

Independent Shops usually have a Try Out in 2-4 models. I bought by Compound and Crossbow at BPS and they helped me set them up and had a practice range to shoot at before you left.

I saw this deal just today, pretty hard to beat for $350 and free shipping. From Barnett’s website, order directly from them. IMG_4234.jpeg

I bought my Wicked Ridge 370 model for $480. from Bass Pro Shop last November. It will group inside a Dixie cup at 25 yards from a steady rest. - TR

Back