2020 Live from the Stand

I awoke at 4:30 am and went into the living room and our house has perimeter lighting and we also have a security light on the power pole in front of our home so if the lights are off inside you can see well out in the yard...I could see deer eating our yard clover so I just sat and watched them for a bit before I started getting ready. Eventually the deer filtered around to the back of the house which allowed me to leave by going out the front door to leave. I had planned last night to try something I had never done which would be go into our property and travel to a deep hollow just past my west neighbors house and drop into it and climb the other side and then travel east to a hang on stand I have at the north end of the property. This would be kind of like a west perimeter access to try to keep the center of the property undisturbed this morning. Almost immediately upon crossing the road I realized this was going to be impossible as it was so incredibly still that sliding down into that hollow and then actually climbing the other side was going to cause much too much commotion. I then decided to sit a ladder near the west end of the south plot. I was slowly working my way to the stand when I heard deer in front of me walking in the leaves and to avoid spooking them I backed out. I then went to the only place I could think of which was to walk along the east fence to the point that the terrain started getting rugged and then await enough light to be able to see well enough to silently as possible move along that uneven terrain. I was sitting awaiting better light when I heard someone hunting on my east neighbor shoot within 70 yards of my position. I waited to see if deer ran my direction but I saw none so I continued along the fence to about 1320 feet into the property and I sat on the ground up above the creek bottom where I could see the hillside past the creek and I had my east fence at my back. 5 minutes into the sit 2 does worked their way from the interior of our property to a fence crossing past and below my position and they crossed to the east. At 8:00 I heard something behind me so I turned and 14 does we’re making their way along the east fence over on my neighbors land...they all passed without incident. At 8:15 a small 4 point buck came from our property and crossed that fence. I sat till 11 with no other sightings...

ac49fe6ca05c00fdd373e52aed467032.jpg

6929255380b1feb12d81b2667ac9ec41.jpg

b2b3c8ba76d10916d4c72c8ee88b9de9.jpg

4233dfe4ef4a7571f96214c504a77538.jpg

Another club member and I had a productive morning with the wood ducks. Wife didn't see anything while sitting on a heavy crossroad till noon. Everyone had lunch and are now waiting for a good one!
20de6864a996a2fa0140aafc1234b5f8.jpg
c1660d4fcc07bb119c737081ce46fe3e.jpg

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

First Live of the year with a Rifle.
Buck only today. Buck or Doe tomorrow.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, it's hot as balls in our area right. Everyone I know is sitting out this early hunt. Got good weather coming next week for the Xbow season; hope it holds for muzzie.

Man, it's hot as balls in our area right. Everyone I know is sitting out this early hunt. Got good weather coming next week for the Xbow season; hope it holds for muzzie.

I wondered when you might show.

Next week the weather looks awesome. But I got to hunt when I can.

Good Luck in muzzle.

Things have been slow with 40-50 temps (should be in 20s). The temps dropped to low 30s and movement picked up. I saw 9 does and 4 bucks (no shooters). They all went to water in a pond just to the left of my 300yd gong. With the warm temps, the deer are primarily on the grain and clover. They’ve largely left the corn alone. I can say this about the bears. Although in season, they’ve again gone nocturnal. They’re in the corn every night.9E75A464-755F-49FA-B294-48A3D69FF36D.jpeg189BA8B5-01A5-4F4C-9C14-A4E1686762C3.jpeg

Well damnit can’t find her.
I’ve never shot for the shoulder before always Lungs.

All the Florida guys kept saying shoot them in the shoulder they’ll drop right there.

She didn’t.

Found one drop of blood. Called a Tracker. She’ll be over later to see if we can find her.

Never again.

Awesome Native!!!
At it again this morning. Until a few minutes ago there was nothing worth sharing. Been a pretty slow morning. Just had a nice young ten come through that had me reaching for my bow at first glance.
5E13AA2E-73CD-4D26-8F51-4DCECEB7F32F.jpeg

I also got the privilege of sitting in a stand yesterday afternoon, after family dinner, with my dad. Nothing shot, he’s after a particular buck, but it was fun.
5C3F364B-B2D7-43FA-8026-F526822E8C05.jpeg

Well damnit can’t find her.
I’ve never shot for the shoulder before always Lungs.

All the Florida guys kept saying shoot them in the shoulder they’ll drop right there.

She didn’t.

Found one drop of blood. Called a Tracker. She’ll be over later to see if we can find her.

Never again.

Deadeye, I don’t know where in the shoulder you shot her, but the high shoulder is my go-to shot since I’ve gotten older. I’m not fond of dragging a deer 150 yards out of the woods anymore. Mine drop where they are if I do my part.

I hope the tracker is able to find her, I’m assuming she has a tracking dog, so she should be able to. Good luck !

Back