Working at the Farm - Took a few I-Phone Pics

Next post I will go back and find some of the deer pictures from over the last few years and post them. I have several favorites.

Oh was I so glad to see the Native Hunter thread would continue. I had been working on barn quilt possibilities for the most unique farm in the great state of Kentucky. Would it be race horses? Big Blue Basketball? Ohio River? Whiskey? No, it has to be native and fruitful. nhquilt1.JPG nhquilt2.JPG Here are a couple of possibilities. I think we can work from here.

Is that bigun a white oak?

dogghr, yes that is a big white oak in the center of the woods on the north side of the place. My dad and I had a discussion about that tree and he told me how that even when I was a child that it was a big tree then and my grandfather wouldn't ever let anyone cut it. So, it has become like an old landmark icon.

I left a very large number of other mature oaks, and some are not far from being as big as that one. What I'm seeing now is the forest thickening up between those big mast bearing trees that were left - making incredible cover. I see it as the best of both worlds - food and cover. In the new tree planting that borders these old woods, I have a new crop of oaks coming on. I noticed that some of them made pollen this year, but I haven't gone back out in them since spring to see if there were actually any acorns this year. Really, it doesn't matter, because there will be plenty in the old woods.

Oh was I so glad to see the Native Hunter thread would continue. I had been working on barn quilt possibilities for the most unique farm in the great state of Kentucky. Would it be race horses? Big Blue Basketball? Ohio River? Whiskey? No, it has to be native and fruitful. View attachment 160 View attachment 161 Here are a couple of possibilities. I think we can work from here.

LOL Lak, and so glad to see you here. With all of the "unconventional" farming I do, my neighbors probably think I'm a "native FRUITcake." With the cold winters we been having, I might keep any quilt for my bed instead of the barn. :D

Speaking of being a native fruitcake, I was the talk of the local small town café, and people would park on the road, walk over to me and ask what in the world I was doing? After all, cows should have been on my land, or maybe I was planting a tree farm!

Super start to your thread Native; your thread is a classic already! Wow on the Purple Cone Flower!

Speaking of being a native fruitcake, I was the talk of the local small town café, and people would park on the road, walk over to me and ask what in the world I was doing? After all, cows should have been on my land, or maybe I was planting a tree farm!

Super start to your thread Native; your thread is a classic already! Wow on the Purple Cone Flower!

Great to see you here Brush. That really makes me feel at home.

I love walking to the beat of a different drummer. I tell people that God gave us "dominion" over this earth, and I for one want to be able to stand before him someday and hear, "Well done good and faithful servant...." Then I ask them, "What's he going to say to you?" :D

great thread. In some ways, restarting and continuing these threads may be more beneficial than even the original threads to some of us newer guys. I love habitat threads, but some were so long that alot of folks might not go through the entire thing if they had just recently joined. This way, we get a fresh new start and can learn even more. I know that I have went back and read most of the previous long habitat threads, but I have already seen pics and info that I don't remember from the old site.

Thanks for taking the time. These threads are invaluable to everyone, especially those of us just getting started.

Great to see you here Brush. That really makes me feel at home.

I love walking to the beat of a different drummer. I tell people that God gave us "dominion" over this earth, and I for one want to be able to stand before him someday and hear, "Well done good and faithful servant...." Then I ask them, "What's he going to say to you?" :D

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they will never sit in". Some trees are planted for future generations.

The apple that is ripening right now is Betsey Deaton. This apple is more what I would call disease tolerant than disease resistant. It is very resistant to Fireblight but in bad years for CAR it will have a lot of leaf spotting. However, it never fails to bear a good crop of apples. The vigor of the tree is strong, and within the season it will put out new leaves while others are dying.

I picked these up off the ground yesterday as they are beginning to fall now.

The next pear I will be eating is Ayers. I took the following picture yesterday. I have this pear growing at both the farm and home. This pear is highly DR and the best eating pear I have ever tasted. You could eat it right now, but it will be even better with a few more days on the tree. The taste is incredible. No disease or insect ever touches it.

Back