Wooded trail plot ideas

1100LT20

What would you recommend for a 100 yard x 3 yard wooded trail with filtered sunlight after the leaves fall. I was thinking winter wheat or rye broadcasted after the leaves cover the ground. Unable to get equipment here so looking for a throw and grow solution for mid December in the Deep South. Thanks.

I've tried some of those before and they never worked really good. The trees on the side of the trail suck up the moisture and nutrients. The leaves shade out the plants trying to come up. In the deep south, you can have leaves on the trees at the beginning of December still. If you can get enough sunlight on a trail running north/south, it could work out depending on tree size and sunlight %. I would rather get a chainsaw and drop or hinge some of the trees on the side of the trail. Deer will be on those really quick. You could stagger cut the timings also, so you have browse on the ground at different times.

What would you recommend for a 100 yard x 3 yard wooded trail with filtered sunlight after the leaves fall. I was thinking winter wheat or rye broadcasted after the leaves cover the ground. Unable to get equipment here so looking for a throw and grow solution for mid December in the Deep South. Thanks.
Nothing. Without more light, there is nothing you can plant that will grow well.

I’m going to try woodland phlox after thoroughly researching what would check most of the boxes at this spot. Wish me luck!

I guess I just assumed you were planting for deer...Wish you all the luck in the world, but I'm not sure it will help.

I’ve had good luck with medium red clover on some of my ATV trails. It was temporary for me, I just wanted something to prevent erosion on logging roads. If WR and MRC won’t grow, nothing will. Maybe add white Dutch if you prefer a permanent stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you implying whitetails don’t eat phlox? Flower beds in the south tell a different story if so.
Whitetails will eat almost any plant depending on the circumstances and what else is available. Phlox is known as a "deer resistant plant". That does not mean deer won't eat it.

White clover can do well in the shade up here in the north. It needs good pH and some gypsum to thrive though, or it'll be wirey.

Back