Winter 2019 trapping finally begins...

if it was on dog proofs it could be mice, I like to use the coon grabbers in the bottom of my dog proofs or I put a big marshmallow at the bottom so they cant pick it clean. If I have a mouse problem I use the caps on my dog proofs. Coons pull them right off to get to the bait.

I use mini marshmallows and I put a few around the dog proofs. They got the ones around it but not the ones in it...

Its tough when you remember selling them for over 150 an otter not to terribly long ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
My uncle said otters had moved into one of the creeks near where I grew up and they are playing hell on the fish...

if it was on dog proofs it could be mice, I like to use the coon grabbers in the bottom of my dog proofs or I put a big marshmallow at the bottom so they cant pick it clean. If I have a mouse problem I use the caps on my dog proofs. Coons pull them right off to get to the bait.

A golf ball works well.

I've caught 16 yotes so far, they are bringing desccent money, $20-30. Coons $3-$5. Not going to get rich, but I feel better selling them, than chucking them in a ditch.

That is the problem here in south AR - the fur buyers wont buy 1/2 of them - only large and bigger - average price last year $1.05.

Plus, when trapping primarily to improve nest success - the closer to nesting season you trap, the less time for more animals to move back in. Fur isnt worth anything when trapped in Mar, Apr, and May

Talked with a local who averaged $67/coyote last yr. Surprised the heck out of me, I would invest some time into that! He also said cats ranged from $15 -$100 which is low for what I figured they would be. I like seeing bobcats around so I usually release them if I happen to get one. With such low coon prices they are trapped just to help nester's.

A golf ball works well.

I used this trick some, a tin can or solo cup will keep the mice out too. My coons usually end up as tree fertilizer, last guy I used to sell furs too closed up shop a couple of years back. Hard to teach kids to trap and skin for a $1 or 2 per coon IF you can find someone to buy them. Still a needed part of management if you want any birds.

Got a young one in the backyard last night...

795e2c53d51f8ed66f6589fa3a5a001d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Native, any signs of that huge cat from a couple years ago? Interested on how big that thing checks in.

No, I haven't seen him on camera this year. It makes me think he has died of old age or possibly changed ranges. Like you, I was hoping he could be trapped so that we could see how much he actually weighed. If he shows back up, I will post some pics.

PS: I actually saw him in person one time while deer hunting, but it wasn't season for cats.

Back