When to trim extra scion?

Shufigo

I have two healthy scions growing from bark grafting the top-work66180C45-5A5B-4A82-AD9C-39D3EC8191A7_1_105_c.jpeg of a native persimmon. I left one nurse branch below them. These are from a spring 2022 graft. When should I trim the extra scion - or should I just leave it alone?

OK, right you are. I've got two branches, each about 3 months old, growing from scions I grafted this spring. I had read somewhere that to get max efficiency in growth, I should snip one to benefit the other. My questions are: (1.) Is this true? and (2) if so, when should I snip the one I declare to be a reject?

I understand your question better now, still say prune in the off season, and defer the rest to Native.

G

I like to trim one of them back slowly over time and not all at once. You want that gap to close as quickly as possible, and it two are growing, it will happen faster. You can train the weaker one as a limb and the better one as the upright central leader, but let them both keep growing. Occasionally I will just leave both of them and not bother with trimming one, but I do generally prefer one central leader.

Back