Topworking and healing over

Native Hunter

I was walking in my tree planting yesterday and took a few pictures of the graft unions of some trees that I topworked over the last 3 years. Most of them have healed over well and already closed the gaps. Below are a few examples:

This first one is where I converted a Callery Pear to a Hunter's Choice Pear. This tree has produced good crops the last two years.
4upTkwc.jpg

The second one is a native male persimmon that I did a sex change operation on. You can still see a little swell at the graft union, but it is healed over completely. This tree had a bumper crop last year.
uBQh3fU.jpg

This is an interesting one. The original tree was a huge crabapple (with tiny apples) that I felt was too big to topwork. I don't think it could have ever healed over. I sawed the tree off at the groundline, and put a cage around the stump. When shoots started coming from around the stump, I cut all of them off but one and nurtured it to make a new small tree. Then I topworked it to a desirable variety. I'm expecting fruit from this one maybe next year.
5wbaWjA.jpg

This is another persimmon that I was worried about, because it was so big when topworked, I was afraid that it might not heal over well. However, it is now completely healed over and making big persimmon crops.
IMp8K7N.jpg

This is a non productive apple that has now been converted over to a Yates. I'm expecting a crop this year.
zEXJfnD.jpg

Here is another apple that lacks some time completely healing over. However, it isn't far away and may close the gap this growing season.
0qhjcdR.jpg

Here we see the agony of defeat, where my grafts failed to take on a persimmon tree. I really don't know why I failed on this one, but it obviously did. New limbs below my grafts have shot out now. I will let this tree grow another year and go back and try again.
iCblTQl.jpg

This last one is where I ordered what was supposed to be a productive crabapple variety from a nursery, but it turned out to be an ornamental crab. I topworked it to a nice Dolgo variety that drops heavily in November, so in a couple of years, we should be good to go.
CTdCdsR.jpg

Just say no to non productive trees - topwork them and get what you need......

i was thinking of doing this to few trees this year, as have number of wild trees that didn't quite get the good disease resistance traits but laid down heck of a root structure, so figured worth a shot.

How big of a tree is probably too big most of the ones i want to do are probably about that 4" - 6" stump.

Cool thread. I just potted 8 root stock last night (M111 and Antonovka). Planning to graft to those and top work a few trees this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i was thinking of doing this to few trees this year, as have number of wild trees that didn't quite get the good disease resistance traits but laid down heck of a root structure, so figured worth a shot.

How big of a tree is probably too big most of the ones i want to do are probably about that 4" - 6" stump.

So far I’ve not had one so big that it didn’t eventually heal over. I have an apple at home that was about 5 inches at the cut. It’s the biggest I have done, but this was last year and it’s far from healing. I think it gets tricky at over 4 inches.

The most important thing is bracing the grafts from wind damage the first year. I use duct tape and cane (native bamboo) poles to brace mine.

Last edited:
Back