What was your most unique deer hunting stand

Not deer hunting, nor a unique blind, but antelope hunting in Wyoming, we set a pop-up in the ranchers junk pile about 25 yd. from a water trough. We camouflaged the pop-up with 55 gallon drums, old pallets, and a couple pieces of tin. While my buddy hunted that, I hunted in the rancher's barn over another water trough. The barn had a divided door and I just opened the top half and sat back in the dark. Although my " stand " was very good, the cows kept the antelope from the water. By buddy killed the first day, so I took the junk pile the next morning and was done about noon.

I've also hunted antelope from a blind made of round bales stacked on top of each other. You couldn't see a goat until he was 3' from the water, so you had to be very quiet and act swiftly to pull it off. There weren't enough holes to see the surrounding area, but there were enough to keep that Wyoming wind whistling down my neck !

A hundred year old farm house with buckled floors and sagging roof. The wood for the walls are paper thin and the wind whistles through it because of all the holes. The house is in bad shape and it's a hazard to enter it. But It was raining and I told my friend to sit at the old kitchen table and look out the big hole into open field. He ended up killing a nice buck and a doe that evening.

I have to give my dad credit for this one, as I never would have thought of it, and was even unsure after seeing it in action. I was 16 and just started hunting alone with my rifle. Dad had moved the lock-on stand I had bow hunted from the corner of a field to the middle for gun season. It was an afternoon hunt so he told me to just walk down the east line of the field and I couldn't miss it. I walk in to find the stand facing the woods, not the field, a total visibility of 5ft. So I walk to another stand and hunt a different stand. After seeing no deer, dad explains that he hung the stand facing the field so I could sit stradling the small oak tree, which had a branch coming out both sides at the perfect spot to rest my gun. Also the tree blocked me from the deer. Have since used that strategy with ladder stands as well, with old screw in steps for shooting rests.

My go-to spot is a tower blind that has been fixed to a hay wagon. All you have to do is hook up to it with a truck/tractor and take it where you want to hunt.
I want to take an old gravity wagon and do this very thing some time. I just have to find one that the running gear still works enough that isn't rusted to crap that will support the additional weight for a reasonable price.

I have a wild idea to kill a deer out of my waterfowling layout blind. I will take the shock cords off so I can control the opening, but with the balls of soybean stubble from the combine in my field I think I can camo this thing real well and use a decoy to get a deer close enough to pull it off. My son thinks I'm crazy, but I think it would be a great way to hide in plain sight of a wide open 20 acre field. Bad thing is - I fear I may get to comfortable and fall asleep! I also considered using it at the edge of my switchgrass - I think the low profile of it can gain me an edge that a traditional blind may lack. If I pull this off - I'll take some pictures! I might even use a few goose decoys for confidence!

My favorite was ( and getting ready to be again) a 80's model suburban bucket seat with recline and arm rest mounted on a boat seat swivel and mounted onto a plastic pallet onto the ground. I love hunting on the ground in the woods if I can get a good down hill or creek bottom view.

I brushed around it good and it was super comfortable

Back in the day the roof of my house while sitting in an old folding lawn chair made a good stand as I have a heavy run down in front of it.

I have also sat in a giant steel power tower as well, actually hit a spike from it my third year hunting. You could not climb to high as you would start to feel the electricity.

Back