What type of stand do you use?

I don't think there is much I don't use annually unless I skip a year in a blind. I use my climber, hangons, ladders (a lot), box stands on the ground and elevated, tripods, and quads. We have all this at my club and at my house I have a couple ladder stands and my climbers. I want to build an elevated box stand but haven't found the time to do it. I use to be a full time climber guy but age is catching up on me too. It seems as though I just don't feel like carrying it in and setting it up most days now though I probably hunt out of a climber 1/3 of the time.

We have about 20 ladder stands and move about 1/4 of them around at any given time. For bow its 95% ladder.
For gun hunting we have boxes too - that get used a lot! its safer given the family and Friends that come and go - to know exactly where everyone is in gun season. We've probably identified the 6-7 main spots to cover with boxes.

Stick built 4'x6' ground blinds. 4 foot by 4 foot cabs with collapsible roofs on either 12 foot or 14 foot treated wood legs with steps. Everything was made with treated wood and they are 25 years old this deer season. All these units can be moved with the FEL on my Kubota 4x4 L345 DT. I am in the process of converting ladders on some of the elevated stands to steps because my knees are totally worn out with bone on bone contact. I also have two 4'x8' and one 8'x8' permanent stands.

I am asking about styles not name brands.
When I was younger my preference was a portable climbing stand. I always carried it in and out with me every time. But as I aged and slowed I used the climber less and less. I now hunt almost exclusively from ladder and box type stands.
I even have a light weight ladder that I take to WMA hunts.

In my case it is my age and some health issues that made me change.

What do you use and why ?
I used Climbing Stands until my knees, and back got too bad. Now I limit myself to a homemade version of the Torgus Tree Seat with my feet on the ground. Getting old is tough.

At 77 I definitely qualify as a graybeard but am fortunate to still be able to tote a climber. I've got access to 150 secure acres so leaving stuff in the woods isn't a risk. A lot of the land is in pines, so a climber in a pine screened by a holly is a common set. I've trimmed numerous trees for climber use and put marking tape on them. This gives me the option of choosing a tree with the right wind and being able to go as high as I wish, also to avoid wind. I also have strap ons but do not feel safe climbing the strap on ladders and making the transfers into the stand. MUCH more secure in a climber. Ladder leaners are also a choice but a fickle wind is a common foe in a 16 foot leaner. I'll use them if the spot is right and the wind is steady. So, 1st choice is a climber, followed by a leaner if conditions allow - and a strap on with a lineman's belt going up if I have to.

100% hang on. A few are higher end brand, a few are El cheapo, and a few are tiny homemade stands.
I'll be 60 in a few weeks and I don't understand the "age thing" when guys switch to ladders.
I have no problem climbing, hanging or hunting from a hanging style stand.

I've gone to all ladders (except one tripod which I really like because the seat swivels) for safety reasons. I can't prove it, but I believe ladders are inherently safer on exit and entry. I also think a shooting rail and arm rests are safety features, so I insist on them for both safety and accuracy. This is another reason we primarily bow hunt with crossbows now, so we can use shooting rails.

Without a doubt, I've become more risk averse as I age.

Last edited:
I use every type there is, that's part of the fun. Climber and hang-on's are more adventurous, enclosed elevated blind is more the lazy man's way of hunting (guilty there), sometimes its nice to get out of the weather, and sometimes it is rewarding to be closer to nature

Or you can jst park your ass on the ground. I’ve dozed off and tilted over before but didn’t get hurt. Lol. I use ladder, chain on, and climbers. Ladder type my least fav especially w bow. Lone Wolf hang on is my fav. Climbers the most all day comfortable. Personal pref.
75dfc460b3332d9937b5436c64aa5fa4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% hang on. A few are higher end brand, a few are El cheapo, and a few are tiny homemade stands.
I'll be 60 in a few weeks and I don't understand the "age thing" when guys switch to ladders.
I have no problem climbing, hanging or hunting from a hanging style stand.

Oh to be 60 again.
Problem is that around 70 you can feel yourself starting to slip a little bit. Bad backs get worse. Knees need replaced, and arthritis starts to show up...
Getting old isn't for the feint of heart.
Better be tough if you want to be an old man. ;)
I'm lucky that I can still do what I want w/o a Nurse standing there and saying... Mr. Daniel, You can't do that... As you age you will better understand the old joke about the guy whose parachute didn't open saying...
'SO FAR, SO GOOD'... Have a great season and Enjoy.

Arthritis runs early in my family...I'm just 50 and already my knuckles swell up like balloons when I use my forest clearing saw for a few hours straight. It scares me to think about what 70 will be like. Ibuprofen is my friend. That having been said, we've moved to ladders over the past few years. I'm good with anything, but one of the guys in our group has started experiencing vertigo as he gets older so we've tried to accommodate him. We like one particular double rail ladder in particular that is really up there at 21' and lasts forever--L110 model--not cheap, but worth it to us. Given that the ash borer is taking away some of our best setups, we may need to explore tower blinds in the future for lack of good trees in prime spots.

At 77 I definitely qualify as a graybeard but am fortunate to still be able to tote a climber. I've got access to 150 secure acres so leaving stuff in the woods isn't a risk. A lot of the land is in pines, so a climber in a pine screened by a holly is a common set. I've trimmed numerous trees for climber use and put marking tape on them. This gives me the option of choosing a tree with the right wind and being able to go as high as I wish, also to avoid wind. I also have strap ons but do not feel safe climbing the strap on ladders and making the transfers into the stand. MUCH more secure in a climber. Ladder leaners are also a choice but a fickle wind is a common foe in a 16 foot leaner. I'll use them if the spot is right and the wind is steady. So, 1st choice is a climber, followed by a leaner if conditions allow - and a strap on with a lineman's belt going up if I have to.
My hunt club is almost all pines, with scattered hardwoods and we have a lot of old farm fields that are just baby pines that are like 2 inches apart from eachother, how would you combat this because we know the deer bed in there cause we see their exit and entriy paths, just stick a blind outside the path in the woods about 10 yards?

Back