What my fall plot looks like now....

Eased into the plot today from the goat pasture. Beans are growing, but the deer are keeping them nipped off. Most of them are a little over ankle high. The milo and millet is knee high and growing well. The failed brassica side of the plot is green and needs to be cut or find a wiper to go in the hit the tips of the weeds with glyphosate.

probably has a bad pedicle, it certainly looks that way. I have several like that.

Yes it is a shame he probably does have s bad pedicle I have seen several like that. I found a shed this year with part of it on it. Always hate to see that. He looks like he would have been a really good one in s couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Went to the local feed and seed and bought 2 bags of Hudson soybeans and stopped by wally world and bought a cheap bag of bird seed(milo, millet, soybeans, wheat) to plant. Hopefully I will get out there this coming Sunday to plant. The Hudson soybean is considered a hay bean that can be cut before pod production to make high protein hay. We used them at the lease last year with good results. The only problem we had at the lease was that the deer discovered them about the time pods were forming. The only thing left was stalks.
That's a new one for me, planting bird seed from WalMart to get a food plot mix. Do you usually have good results with that? It's just amazing what innovative ideas you can learn if you just take a moment and listen to other people who have been there done that.

That's a new one for me, planting bird seed from WalMart to get a food plot mix. Do you usually have good results with that? It's just amazing what innovative ideas you can learn if you just take a moment and listen to other people who have been there done that.
First time I have tried it. We feed the birds here and some of the seeds spout and grow under and around the feeder. I tend to mow them down because they get to tall and interfere with the feeder. My boss buys black oil sunflower seed bird feed and plants its for his dove hunts and it grows great. It is also cheaper than buying seed to plant from a supply house and seems to be in a good mix ratio for what I am doing.. I purchased a 40b bag for $12 and made several passes on 2 acres to use all of it.

Pulled the trail cam pics today. It has been right at 3 weeks. I can't tell the difference in them, but the milo/millet is knee high or a little taller now. The soybeans are all staying in the 6" range with the tops nipped out of them. This is a 2 acre plot and the deer are doing a great job of eating the beans. I have several species of weeds growing that they are eating to, so I am happy about that. Im not happy that I have just as many weeds as I do millet/milo and soybeans. I still haven't seen any fawns on my trail cam, but I am getting pics of all the doe and about 4 bucks. This includes the funky buck. Here is his latest pic.

OZ8werLQDlBYoLrMpz78EVS41UWorpYiyTtOsTKu9rTcJs9CKb4gYaJDwHPiW8MizWSvrW6tJxczyxh9tG0hGusdrG2P5tpz57ygckBj9_NJQch60UZtUgpfxTTn0FxIa7TBcjBLXhecvtHixgLacSuHegK0RHvwCnd7mDCMd6E4zCGO0WOImu6WlM4OlqxtPhyjSJQl7SUOyyruhCEk1ftQRERWDEZqjnkX79TfD56GVUazDnLEoJkzFUQ3AQ7QCYapd0tXDu_-BDKCwB_KKsy1w-QbWbIyxVmye1CndIYtAGtTrQf8rnWjfvhjOIg74Vky-dBKCXQz-FRWIE1-L7_qTOCxJqB3U6z6CIq9XFNg9MYMCOPiOOST-HO9omEx2MplQXPCTJiIvpaEBUvFDAD3SKYeluMQuvvZ0LWagCJ5fz-e2xSa1HjKbxUf8o3JUqC-EdWTxaBJGnBe7i2XZ5sJlcqOL7uUz0n2xqHynUelCaCVys06_X15edvHwYOgF17iRAuEx4N6p_YZhxWCFgDCQsx0qsryIbsiIkIzBEeMne5tt_mP5f3Q0bCqFdt8y5byZrI2KUrs2u4jz3LSPr6FyI4Qwu5mpgwfOBZZ44qIZPgLkb24=w800-h450-no

Last edited:
Pulled the trail cam pics today. It has been right at 3 weeks. I can't tell the difference in them, but the milo/millet is knee high or a little taller now. The soybeans are all staying in the 6" range with the tops nipped out of them. This is a 2 acre plot and the deer are doing a great job of eating the beans. I have several species of weeds growing that they are eating to, so I am happy about that. Im not happy that I have just as many weeds as I do millet/milo and soybeans. I still haven't seen any fawns on my trail cam, but I am getting pics of all the doe and about 4 bucks. This includes the funky buck. Here is his latest pic.

IMG_0327_zpsbq77defa.jpg
The one advantage with planting straight beans is the option for weed control. But at two acres they'd probably eat them all anyway. I don't see that my deer graze the millet much but have the same issue with soybeans, the deer hold them at 6".

I have plants the bird seed sunflower and it did great, until the deer got hold. You are so right about seedsprouting under bird feeder

The one advantage with planting straight beans is the option for weed control. But at two acres they'd probably eat them all anyway. I don't see that my deer graze the millet much but have the same issue with soybeans, the deer hold them at 6".
These are not RR beans. I saved some dollars because I was doing the mix. I didn't plant the millet to feed the deer, I planted it to feed the turkey and quail that live on the property. The only disadvantage is, they won't get to use it until fall/winter once the seed heads harden.

Pulled trail cam card today and checked on the plot. I cut part of the field because the weeds were getting taller than the beans. It helped and now the beans are coming on good. It also freed up some milo and millet seeds to grow. I also found some turnips that decided to grow, now that it is hot. The side I didn't mow has lots of milo and millet growing tall and spitting out seed heads. There are some weeds mixed in, but the deer are eating them too.
5a38c0f28d009b002fdb637230b5d8d3.jpg

24467c4a79c683980f767cdc014157e8.jpg

51eaa82d0f50cdf994902e857fe52743.jpg

ff38c3594da40346b32ef44c6b4f43f9.jpg

381c15432f56f5300442d338243a4396.jpg

37a669dc41acba44a70fed6736884126.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Here is the one sided buck and a friend he decided to bring by. The friend is a wide 6pt that needs some more looking at if he keeps coming. One side is still on my shoot list and my brother has been informed of shooting him too, since his cattle lease is right behind me.
374c7231d4faead186c20250ddd47a34.jpg

a13ba554d0fb3ff93868f09abff720ea.jpg

Pulled a soil sample and sprayed the half of the plot that had brassicas last fall and had struggled all year to keep non-RR beans. The weeds had taken over and I tried a few things the help the beans, but it was a losing battle. When I sprayed today, there was a massive amount of partridge pea and I almost didn't want to spray, but I want to put my fall plot in so something had to go. Here are a couple of pics of the bird seed plot. The sunflowers got eaten before they got started good, but the milo and millet are going strong. The dove, turkeys and quail should eat well this winter. If you look hard enough, you can see partridge pea flowers mixed in with the milo and millet.
731941280e7ca84336051e5ed2abd6f8.jpg

74a6d518ea8df67160c50e228b177633.jpg

Last edited:
was going to pull pics while there and the batteries had died at some point. No photos to be had. I thought I had enough battery to get me until my next visit, but I guess they bit the bullet shortly after. Put new ones in it today after work. Should be back on schedule.

Waiting on soil test(1) to be returned. Lease tests(5) came back in 4 days. It will be 2 weeks this coming Monday. I guess they got busy all of a sudden. I am excited to see these results. I have been planting ww, oats, awp, with a failed brassica plot mixed in for a couple of years. No fertilizer, no lime. Everything has grown great, to my surprise(except brassicas and the drought got them). Ready to lime, fertilize, and plant.

^^^^Might want to call on that test. One of mine got hung up this past spring, and when I emailed, they had done it weeks ago but lost in route to me. Drought nailed my brassica last year too, first failure I've ever had with them even in dry years.

Back