Webinars

Chainsaw

There is a free whitetail doe webinar scheduled for 7 pm today Tuesday, sept. 13. I watched it at the 12 noon session. It is interactive and the subject is the whitetail doe. It covers annual the yearling doe dispersal, does during the rut, does with fawns and more. It was less than an hour long and had some great info in it.
Here is the link to the announcement which contains the link to access the webinar. Registering as a guest is the easiest and fastest method.

See details for today’s PA Forests Web Seminar Center presentation below. We look forward to "seeing" you this afternoon or evening, September 13, 2016.

==============================================================================
Summary for PA Forests Web Seminar Center.
1. Topic: Everything You Wanted to Know about Females... Female Deer, that is
2. Date: Tuesday, September 13, 2016
3. Times: noon to 1:00 PM and 7:00 to 8:00 PM, eastern time. Questions often last an extra 15 to 20 minutes
4. Presentation URL (for both times): https://meeting.psu.edu/PAForestWeb/
5. Handouts, PowerPoints and Recorded Presentations will be available at: http://extension.psu.edu/natural-resources/forests/courses/pa-forest-web-seminar-center

Presentation summary: A lot of attention is focused on male deer, but it's females that are more important! Find about their strategies during the breeding season and how population density affects the dispersal of yearling females. This presentation will give you a greater appreciation of female behavior during the rut and why the moon doesn't matter! Presented by Duane Diefenbach, PA Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit, USGS. Approved for 1 credit hour (0.25 years) Pennsylvania SFI® CE.

The webinar showed the results of collaring wild does in Pennsylvania and following their movements through the last two years. Sorry I missed how many does they tagged. I did take a few notes of things that jumped out at me so will share them here and welcome anyone to correct me for anything I get wrong here or to add to anything that may have jumped out to them as interesting.

Female deer dispersed generally in the spring as a result of the dominant does seeking isolation during birthing. zero to 24% dispersed in the study. Areas with higher dispersal rates came from areas of higher deer populations.Mean dispersal distance was 5 to 12 miles. It noted that in western states with a population of over 100 deer per forested sq. mile that dispersal distances increase to 12 to 25 miles. The does disperse walking not in a straight line whereas dispersed males walk a fairly straight line. One doe walked 158 miles and took up her new residence at 30 miles away from her old one.

An individual does home range is about one sq. mile in forested areas but in 100 to 300 acres in more fragmented areas. Does do make trips of 3 to 10 miles usually in summer and then return to their home range.

Neither moon nor temperatures affected the rut during the two years monitored. Bucks moved 455 yards every three hours during the day versus 426 yards per three hours during the night during the rut regardless of temperature. Rut timing happens by photo period.

Twenty-five percent of twins have different fathers. Bear and coyote are the two top predators for young deer; Bobcat are third where they have them.

Quality of habitat greatly affected how many fawns a doe has and how many of the first year does have fawns. They can have up to four but only 4 in 10,000 does.

The webinar also showed the movements of does during hunting season. That was as expected with each doe having a daytime hideout with movement in more dangerous places occurring after hunting hours.

Usually the recorded live webinars are kept and available on request. The only difference in watching them non-live is that you don't have a presenter to ask questions of. Sorry for the late notice;the mailing list I am on often gets things to me on the day of the webinars or I miss some advance notices in my e-mails.

Last edited:
Very cool! Thanks for sharing. How often did they have deer related webinars? How do we get access to listen to them?

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. How often did they have deer related webinars? How do we get access to listen to them?

You are welcome Sam. There are two or sometimes three deer/habitat/property related seminars or webinars a month. Here is the link to the sign up sheet for the Penn state extension list.
http://extension.psu.edu/natural-resources/forests/courses/pa-forests-web-seminar-center/sign-up

And here is the link to their upcoming events. Oct. 11 is an interesting one; it will be a webinar about managing invasive species on your property. http://extension.psu.edu/natural-resources/forests/events

There are other extension services/agencies/universities that send me deer or property related webinar info and as they do I'll post it on this thread so that you and any others that want can sign up to receive their e-mail notices rather than get it second hand and late from me.

Anyone, if you see a webinar or interesting seminar/field days etc. coming up please feel free to post it on this thread. Most of these programs are free science based information webinars that can be very helpful to us as hunters and/or landowners.

The USDA (US Department of Agriculture) has many webinars that may seem almost abstract to deer hunting but really many of their webinars do apply to us deer hunter landowners. Here is one scheduled soon regarding droughts which many of us have experienced this year and some still are.
Here is the link.

http://www.forestrywebinars.net/webinars/drought-and-water-challenges

If you don't care to watch the drought webinar you still can subscribe to receive webinar notifications from USDA if you'd like to.

Here is another webinar that I plan to watch tonight. Just received the notice.

See details for today’s PA Forests Web Seminar Center presentation below. We look forward to "seeing" you this afternoon or evening, October 11, 2016.

1. Topic: So Many Weeds, So Little Time: A Prioritization Tool for Invasive Species Management
2. Date: Tuesday, October 11, 2016
3. Times: noon to 1:00 PM and 7:00 to 8:00 PM, eastern time. Questions often last an extra 15 to 20 minutes
5. Handouts, PowerPoints and Recorded Presentations will be available at: http://extension.psu.edu/natural-resources/forests/courses/pa-forest-web-seminar-center

Presentation summary: This presentation will address how prioritization is an implementation of IPM, as it requires clarity of objective, setting thresholds, identifying available resources, assigning the proper prescription, and monitoring results. The planning approach uses a spreadsheet document to consider both the location and the invasive species present. It looks at land units within a property, assesses ecological value and integrity, and outreach value of the land unit (ability to attract outside resources). Weed characteristics are extent, impact, and restoration effort. An index value is applied for each characteristic, generating a score for 0 to 10 for each land unit/species interaction. This initial prioritization generates a worklist by location, and the user identifies the available personnel and the operations. From this, a work calendar is produced. Primary concepts of this approach are: “Protect the Best” - work in more-intact areas first, to optimize the acres protected per unit of effort; “Bundling” - charismatic species may trigger an operation, but time the operation and equip personnel to address as many species as possible; “Control Phase vs Maintenance” - care of natural areas is perpetual, but well-directed efforts lead to a quick transition from resource intensive control efforts to ongoing maintenance that requires a tiny fraction of the original effort. In addition to planning/IPM, the presentation will focus on the details of creating a limited prescription list to simplify operations and inventory, including herbicide selection and application methods. Presented by Art Gover, Research Associate, Wildland Weed Management Program, Penn State. Approved for 1 credit hour (0.25 years) Pennsylvania SFI® CE. Approved for 1.0 Society of American Foresters CFE credit, Category 1-CF.

1. To Access the site, click on the PRESENTATION URL (see number 4 above). LOG IN AS A GUEST (which does not require a userID or password) – the easiest option.

2. When you arrive at the site via the above URL, you can test your sound capacity via the "meeting" pull-down menu and then the audio wizard. During the conference, participants will be able to hear but not speak to the presenters

3. You can practice typing a note on the "Questions and Comments" chat box. We will clear all existing notes before the presentation begins.

4. An Adobe Connect Diagnostic is available at https://meeting.psu.edu/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm. If you are having trouble with your connection, run this diagnostic. Answers to commonly asked questions can also be found here.

5. If you are no longer interested in receiving these reminders about upcoming PA Forest Web Seminar Center Presentations, please email me at abm173@psu.edu with “Unsubscribe Webinars” in the Subject Line.

If you are having difficulty accessing the PA Forests Web Seminar Center, please contact the Penn State ITS Help Desk, 814-863-1035, helpdesk@psu.edu.

Here is another webinar coming up om Wednesday that will apply to some of us. It is about logging on small parcels (like 5 to 20 acres) and logging a small section of a large parcel. I haven't seen it yet but do plan on watching it Wednesday.
This is the email I received on it.

This email includes details on how to connect to the forthcoming ForestConnect Webinar. The instructions below include the process for you to obtain your unique “registration id” for this month’s webinar. Note that webinars are live at noon and 7PM, for an hour each, but the meeting space is reserved from noon until 8PM.

SAF CFE credits have been requested or have been approved.

Special Note: This is the first time we will use ZOOM for the monthly ForestConnect webinar. We have practiced, but we continue to learn. Please register early, and arrive 23 minutes early for the webinar. If there are updates we will notify all those who have registered, and post that information in a blog at www.CornellForestConnect.ning.com

Wednesday December 21, 2016

Presented by Thomas Worthley, Associate Extension Professor of Forestry, University of Connecticut

When it comes to forest management, equipment, methods and techniques that work well on 50 or 100 acres might not be appropriate for parcels of 5, 10 or 20 acres. Throughout much of the Northeast, as well as other parts of the country, a large portion of the forest resource is held in small parcels as a result of parcelization and fragmentation. As well, many of the management activities a larger landowner might undertake involve only a few acres or small portions of their property. Forest and habitat management need not be constrained by or limited to the methods and equipment commonly used by the commercial timber harvesting industry. Good silvicultural practice is just as relevant to a 7-acre parcel as to a 70-acre one. Scale-appropriate methods and equipment used in the right combinations and suitable to the purpose can be engaged for a variety of management and value-added purposes.

During the summer, fall and winter of 2015 roadside forest management silvicultural treatments were implemented at three separate sites in CT. Various small-scale forest harvesting equipment combinations were tried and tested under a variety of forest and terrain types. Tree-felling and processing times, skidding times and distances and product volume and value were tracked. This multi-media presentation will share observations and experiences and will reflect on the applicability of the methods used to address small parcels, habitat enhancements, roadside forest management and other small-scale harvesting needs. What works well on 5 acres works just as well on 5 acres of a 50-acre parcel.

Instructions:

1. Read all these instructions.
  2. You need to register for each monthly webinar. There is unlimited space for participants, the ID simply provides you the necessary access. Obtain your registration ID via: https://cornell.zoom.us/webinar/register/0fd2318ec3796a188c34be5db4a05ad8
  3. After registration, which includes a question about whether you want CEU credits, you will receive the link to the webinar and a password. It should go without saying that you should retain this email.
  4. The registration email provides the link you will use the day of the webinar.

Thanks for the info, Chainsaw. Ive watched ForestConnect webinars a couple years now. Great learning tools!

You are very welcome Fish. and thanks for the comment. As you know there isn't always extraordinary information in every webinar but each one gives me more understanding and awareness of the details in our woods.

I have a dumb question - do we/can we get some sort of event Calandar so we can see all the different events like these webinars and even local events? I don't want it cluttered with a bunch of garbage, but I think folks would attend more of these with some notice. Just a thought.

I have a dumb question - do we/can we get some sort of event Calandar so we can see all the different events like these webinars and even local events? I don't want it cluttered with a bunch of garbage, but I think folks would attend more of these with some notice. Just a thought.
Not a dumb question at all J-bird. I get notices from a variety of sources and usually it only a day ahead although some are up to a week ahead. Still they must have schedules--will send an e-mail immediately to the head of the Cornell forestry department and see what they have.

I just know that some of those are very informative and thought provoking. I took one once that was suggested on one of the deer sites about modern wildlife management and it at least exposes you to other opinions which, right or wrong is always a good thing. I don't have good enough internet at home so to do the webinar thing I have to be able to plan ahead. I will say the more educated we are about many of the environmental issues the more we can be a more well rounded habitat manager. Nothing gets the attention off the DNR as when you start talking about natural carrying capacity and social carrying capacity and discussing the North American wildlife model...... Most of us hunters are seen as knuckle dragging morons and it helps hold an intelegent conversation and be being seen as bubba with a gun!

I just know that some of those are very informative and thought provoking. I took one once that was suggested on one of the deer sites about modern wildlife management and it at least exposes you to other opinions which, right or wrong is always a good thing. I don't have good enough internet at home so to do the webinar thing I have to be able to plan ahead. I will say the more educated we are about many of the environmental issues the more we can be a more well rounded habitat manager. Nothing gets the attention off the DNR as when you start talking about natural carrying capacity and social carrying capacity and discussing the North American wildlife model...... Most of us hunters are seen as knuckle dragging morons and it helps hold an intelegent conversation and be being seen as bubba with a gun!

The Cornell reply was somewhat disappointing. The webinars come from several sources and are not currently coordinated into one schedule. I do have some links though found thru Google that may help. The first link is for Cornell archived webinars--they are available anytime you would like to watch. The only difference between a live and archived is on a live you get to ask questions directly to the presenter and on archived the questions attendees asked at the live webinar are a part of the archived webinar.
link to archives--(Forest connect webinars on you tube)-https://www.youtube.com/user/ForestConnect
Link to schedule for conservation webinars-http://www.conservationwebinars.net/documents/planned-conservation-webinars
Link to sign up to receive notices of upcoming webinars directly from forest connect (this will get the notices to you at least a few days quicker.----
http://www2.dnr.cornell.edu/ext/forestconnect/web/subscribe.htm

Hope this helps a little at least

webinar-portal-logo.png

Integrative Forest Management for Wildlife and Forest Health

Feb 15, 2017 1:00 pm US/Eastern

You are invited to attend our latest Live Webinar sponsored by: Southern Regional Extension Forestry / Forest Health and Invasive Species Program - David Coyle.

Title: Integrative Forest Management for Wildlife and Forest Health

What will you learn?
This webinar will discuss forest management strategies to improve wildlife habitat in forests while maintaining productivity and health. Different methods to meet these objectives will be covered. learn more here...

Presenters/Authors:
Dr. Mark McConnell - University of Georgia, D.B. Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources

Education Credits from the following organizations continuing education programs have been approved or applied for:
Texas Dept of Ag - Pesticide Safety Continuing Ed - 1 hour IPM Credit [status: Applied For]
Georgia Master Timber Harvester - 1 hour CLE - Environment Credit [status: Approved]
Mississippi Professional Logging Manager - 1 hour Other Credit [status: Approved]
Society of American Foresters - 1 hour Category 1 Credit [status: Approved]
Texas Pro Logger Program - 1 hour Other Credit [status: Approved]

Get instructions on how to obtain Continuing Education Credits.

Session Details:
Feb 15, 2017 1:00 pm US/Eastern Duration: 01:00 (hh:mm) Export Event To Calendar
*** Please join the session 15 minutes prior to the start of the webinar. ***

Who should participate?
Foresters
Land owners
Land managers
Natural resource professionals
Researchers
Loggers

Share This Event:

Get instructions on how to Join this event.

This webinar is sponsored by: Southern Regional Extension Forestry / Forest Health and Invasive Species Program - David Coyle

Stay up-to-date:
Need a refresher or continuing education credits? Watch recorded webinars on hundreds of natural resource topics here.

Want to stay up-to-date with the latest research and industry practices in forestry, conservation, bioenergy and natural resources? Subscribe to our e-mailing list to receive announcements on webinars that will help you!

This webinar has been made possible through a partnership with:

sponsors-image.jpg

Watch Webinar Now: Make sure to start registration process no less than 15 minute prior to the webinar
1. Find this webinar on the Upcoming Webinars page [link to that page], click on the webinar name and you will be directed to the webinar page.
2. To join the live webinar, click the orange join button at the top of the webinar page. If the webinar has been archived, you can take this webinar by clicking the orange view button at the top of the webinar page.
3. Completely fill out the registration form and click submit.
4. If you are presented with a survey, you must take this short survey before being directed to participate in the webinar.
5. After completing the survey (if applicable) you will be redirected to the appropriate webinar host such as Blackboard Collaborate

Here is another webinar coming up next Tuesday that looks like it could be of interest to most of us.

This email is intended for PA Forests Web Seminar Center Registered Users. If you are receiving this email, you signed up to be notified of upcoming monthly webinars from the PA Forests Web Seminar Center. If you are no longer interested in receiving information about webinars, please reply to Allyson at abm173@psu.edu and include “Unsubscribe Webinars” in the subject line.

If you are having difficulty accessing the PA Forests Web Seminar Center, please contact the Penn State ITS Help Desk, 814-863-1035, helpdesk@psu.edu.

Hi All:

See details for the next PA Forests Web Seminar Center presentation below. We look forward to "seeing" you on Tuesday, January 10, 2017. Connection details will be sent the morning of the webinar.

1. Topic: Planning and Developing Access to Your Property: Forest Roads and Trails

2. Date: Tuesday, January 10, 2017

3. Times: noon to 1:00 PM and 7 to 8 p.m., eastern time. Questions often last an extra 15 to 20 minutes

5. Handouts, PowerPoints and Recorded Presentations will be available at: http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/centers/private-forests/outreach/pa-forests-web-seminar-center

Presentation summary: Developing access to your woodland increases opportunities for its use. This includes roads and trails for recreational activities such as walking, hunting, and wildlife watching as well as forest management activities such as controlling invasive plants and harvesting. Proper access can increase your enjoyment of the land. However, roads and trails must be properly planned, constructed, and maintained to ensure they last and won’t cause erosion and water quality concerns. This presentation will review forestry best management practices, the minimum standards, and provide an overview of proper road, skid trail, and stream crossing construction practices. Presented by Dave Jackson, Forest Resources Educator, Penn State Extension. Approved for 1 credit hour (0.25 years) Pennsylvania SFI® CE. Approved for 1.0 Society of American Foresters CFE credit, Category 1-CF.

Upcoming webinars

February 14, 2017

Managing Single-Aged Forest

Most forest lands in Pennsylvania contain trees of a single age group. Learn how to manage these forests through all stages of development, from early and intermediate treatments to improve stand conditions to final harvests to creating new forests through regeneration. Presented by Kimberly Bohn, Forest Resources Educator, Penn State Extension. Approved for 1 credit hour (0.25 years) Pennsylvania SFI® CE. Approved for 1.0 Society of American Foresters CFE credit, Category 1-CF.

March 14, 2017

Creating Age Diversity in Forests

Forests with different age classes of trees, called “uneven-aged” forests provide a number of different ecosystem values than single-aged forests. This webinar will cover the proper techniques for creating and maintaining age diversity as well as covering both the benefits and potential limitations that age diversity provides to forest ecosystems. Presented by Kimberly Bohn, Forest Resources Educator, Penn State Extension. Approved for 1 credit hour (0.25 years) Pennsylvania SFI® CE. Approved for 1.0 Society of American Foresters CFE credit, Category 1-CF.

April 11, 2017

Forest Fermentables

More and more people are starting to experiment with making wine at home. While grapes are the traditional fruit used for making wine, there are many other types of fruits that can be turned into wine. This webinar will discuss some of the many wild fruits that can be found in and along forests that can be turned into wine. A general overview of the wine making process from start to finish will also be presented. Presented by Scott Weikert, Forest Resources Educator, Penn State Extension. Continuing education credits applied for.

May 9, 2017

Raising Wild Kids

The need to develop youth that understand and care about forests and the natural world has never been greater. In fact, the very future of the natural world rests in our ability to do this, and it can help ensure they pass along a stewardship ethic to their descendants. This webinar will explore the importance of this mission and recommended methods and techniques for raising "wild" kids. Lessons from the field can get you started in a positive direction that fits you and the youth you are working with. The sharing of experience among participants that have done this will also be encouraged during this interactive webinar. Presented by Sanford “Sandy” Smith, Natural Resources and Youth Extension Specialist, Penn State Department of Ecosystem Science and Management. Continuing education credits applied for.

June 13, 2017

Assessing and Promoting Successful Regeneration in Your Woodland

Lack of adequate tree regeneration is one of the top concerns in many woodlands in Pennsylvania and throughout the Northeast. This difficulty in obtaining successful growth of the next generation of trees is caused by three factors: 1) competition from other plants in the understory, 2) intensive browsing by white-tailed deer, and 3) the overstory canopy casting too much shade for seedlings in the understory. Without active management to promote successful regeneration in privately owned woods, the long-term function of our woods is impacted. This webinar will provide an overview of an assessment process woodland owners can use to evaluate regeneration. In addition to the assessment, webinar participants will learn the silvics, including light requirements and growth rates, of some common trees. Lastly, the webinar will provide an overview of stewardship activities commonly used to promote regeneration. Presented by Leslie Horner, Forest Stewardship Program Associate, Center for Private Forests at Penn State. Continuing education credits applied for.

Allyson Brownlee Muth, Ed.D.
Forest Stewardship Program Associate

The Pennsylvania State University
333 Forest Resources Building
University Park, PA 16802
(814) 865-3208

This email was sent on behalf of the College of Agricultural Sciences, The Pennsylvania State University, Ag Administration Building, University Park, PA 16802. For any questions or problems, contact the list administrator or Ag Communications and Marketing.

You received this email because you are subscribed to the Registrants for the PA Forest Web Seminar Center (L-AG-PAFORESTWEB) mailing list. If you would like to unsubscribe from this list, simply send an email to L-AG-PAFORESTWEB-UNSUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@LISTS.PSU.EDU. No subject or message is necessary in the email.

The pasted e-mail below announces an oak regeneration webinar;

This email includes details on how to connect to the forthcoming ForestConnect Webinar. The instructions below include the process for you to obtain your unique “registration id” for this month’s webinar. Note that webinars are live at noon and 7PM, for an hour each, but the meeting space is reserved from noon until 8PM. Your registration provides you access to either the noon or 7PM webinar.

SAF CFE credits have been requested or have been approved.

Oak Forest Regeneration. Dave Apsley, Ohio State University

Wednesday January 18, 2017

Presentations at 12:00 to 1:00 PM and again at 7:00 to 8:00 PM (webinars may run long with questions)

Oaks are the dominate species in much of the central hardwood region of the eastern US. They are also important components of northern hardwood and Appalachian hardwood forests. Throughout the eastern US oaks are not only pivotal as a timber species and hard mast for wildlife, but they also provide important aesthetic attributes and most importantly stability to ecological communities. As with many hardwoods, oaks are experiencing regeneration complications and failures. This webinar will explore the ecological and economic importance of oak, establish the basis for the challenges of oak regeneration, factors that have contributed to regeneration decline, and steps that can be taken. Collaborative efforts to ensure the continued prominence of oak in Ohio will be discussed as a case study with opportunity in other locations. Presented by Dave Apsley, Natural Resources Specialist, The Ohio State University.

Instructions:

1. Read all these instructions.
  2. You need to register for each monthly webinar. There is unlimited space for participants, the ID simply provides you the necessary access. Obtain your registration ID via: https://cornell.zoom.us/webinar/register/0fd2318ec3796a188c34be5db4a05ad8 If prompted for a password use “Cornell”.
  3. The registration page prompts you for CEU credits.
  4. After registration you will receive the link to the webinar and a password. The registration can be used for either/both the noon or 7PM presentation. It should go without saying that you should retain that email.
  5. The registration email provides the link you will use the day of the webinar, and can be used at either time.

You are invited to a Zoom webinar.

When: Jan 18, 2017 12:00 PM (GMT-5:00) Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Topic: ForestConnect - Oak Forest Regeneration

Please register through the following link:

https://cornell.zoom.us/webinar/register/0fd2318ec3796a188c34be5db4a05ad8

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.

Thanks Chainsaw! Ive never joined a live webinar, but ive viewed most of the forestconnect webinars on YouTube. They have made me a better timber manager for sure! And Mr Smallidge seems to be a top notch guy.
Some folks curl up with a good book. I lay back and watch forestconnect! :p

Back