VOTE or ADVICE on my box blind windows?

Brokenbear

20160728_101427_resized.jpg

Here is a picture of a tower blind sitting in the middle of our bottoms that are in food plot corn, beans and CP33 quail ground and CRP filterstrip ...and deer crossings out the wazoo ..we are woods hunters ..up close in da face ..so it has not had much hunting or many deer taken by it ...we never even finished up the roof or sides ..it is 14' to the floor and is 4'X6' ....but...it just commands too much awesome territory to not use it on special occasions ..like grandkids ...daughter in laws ...old men like me when it's nasty out etc.

SOooooo ...now there is a 19 step set of stairs with handrails on both sides where the ladder once was
Now there is a 4'X4' platform landing at the top of the steps
Now there are 18" wings added to each short side making the finished size of the "clubhouse" 6'X6'
Now there is a roof 7'X8' that is simply 2'X4" as purlins sitting on 2'X6" beams ..1"X4" strips are what the 30# felt paper and barn corregated roofing are screwed to

The exterior is exterior plywood (siding type with decorative grooves) painted a brown/green

NOW you get to vote!! since the whole deal is low tech ..the "windows" for this year are going to simply be cutting out openings in the plywood from which to look out and to hinge the cutout in some manner to keep out kritters and mother nature

the question(s) is window closure hinge from the top? ...hinge from the side? ..open inward? ..open outward? ..large opening like 24X36 or two 24X18? ...any ideas that have worked for you ?? I'm all ears

Boys be kind ...even with the platform already built I still have a bunch of $$ in this project ..maybe down the road real windows,insulation etc could have funding found but now I'm tapped out ..

Bear

Sorry but the exterior goes on this coming Saturday .(.but the plywood is already painted) ,,but it is all framed up ..got my two strong as bulls nephews collared to help Saturday

So I hope Saturday night or Sunday afternoon I can post a picture of a "done deal" ...at least for this years effort ..trust me I am no carpenter and this thing will bare that statement out ..not real plum ..dang hard for this old man to work up that high and get stuff perfectly square

Bear

I am in the same boat, just built a 4'x6' and my windows should arrive tomorrow. I ordered hinged glass windows from Deer View and am trying to decide to hinge up or down. They will be on the inside due to the type of latches. If I made my own I think I would have the hinged at the top and on the outside so when they are raised they would provide some protection from rain.

I'm a think'in I'm leaning that way to Flyfixer
not sure I will ever bother with glass ..maybe some sliding plexiglass ..never gets nuts cold here during the normal deer seasons ..plus I have one of those Mr Heaters that sits on a 20lb propane tank that I am confident can take care of any short cold snaps in a 6'X6' cube ..now where you boys are ..40 degrees has you looking for insulated coveralls Ha Ha !!! ..so windows are a must!

Bear

Bear

I have done 2 things and you can decide which fits best for your needs.

#1 - hinge the covers from the top that swing outward. This creates more shadows inside which is a good thing and can help knock down the wind as well. I use a rope and knot system to hold up the cover and multiple knots in the rope to allow different heights depending on what you want/need. I then use small latches to hold the covers tight when not in use. They are NOT wind/scent or even bug proof, but it's better than nothing.

Mine - all closed up.
house.jpg

Windows swung out - notice the rope/cord on the closed window.
shooting house window outside.JPG

The rope is thru the lower portion of the cover and held with a knot or washer. The other part of the rope comes thru a hole above the opening as you see below to the upper left. The knots in the rope then allow different heights.
shooting house rope knot.JPG

The latch in the lower corner pulls the cover tight and keeps it from banging around in the wind when closed.
front windo latch.JPG

Here you can see where the rope has a washer in it to a specific length and the washer is then fit over the little hook with no knots needed.
side window latch.JPG
#2 - I have also used a vertical sliding cover - sort of like a guillotine. On this set-up I use a small chain and a hook to again give me flexibility as to how high I set them. I then have plexi panels that I can add to knock the wind down as well. I apologize I don't have photos of my "guillotine" windows. They essentially slide in a loose track to raise and lower with an attached chain and a hook to hold in place. the plexi panels simply are bowed and one end is put in and then you can bend the panel to slip the other end in. Obviously this isn't for a quick shot opportunity, but it can really help knock the wind down or retain heat from a small heater if it is needed.

My 1st tower stand had no windows 360 degrees around. Too cold and windy.
My 2nd tower I installed 10 basement storm windows and hinged them on the bottom. That was a pain in the rear end. So the 2nd year I hinged them all on the side and that works a lot better.
My 3rd tower I put up this year is a manufactured round fiberglass unit and the windows are hinged on the bottom but that's the way they come. But I'm sure after using it this year and setting there studying them I will figure out a way to hinged on the side.

I used Plexiglas mounted on upside J channel on some ground blinds I bought as semi finished projects from the local technical college. I hang surplus military camo netting inside the windows when they are not in use like curtains. Just roll it up and hang it from small nails to get it out of the way.
When I found the height I needed for a rifle shot, I screwed a cross piece of a 2''x4'' just below that level. I then use shooting bags to build up to the height I need. I provides a rock solid base, almost like shooting off a bench.

Last edited:
I've built mine like J-birds hinging on the top and on the outside with the pull string to open and close. The only difference with mine is I tied 4 or 5 links of plastic chain at the end of my pull string so that I can vary the degree of opening by using different chain links. The plastic chain was cheap and the plywood used for the windows was scrap. A couple bucks in hooks and eyelets and I was in business. Plus like J-bird mentioned it creates shadows and keeps the rain out.

You guys are awesome and are offering up exactly what I am looking for and in great detail ..THANKS ...with that said ..............
For this year ..just to stop banging around in the area ..to provide weather and sun deflection ...I am leaning towards simply cutting out the window openings with a jigsaw ...making the top cut first ..attaching the 2 hinges at the top to swing out and up and then cut the other 3 sides of the window opening allowing the cutout to be the "closure" ...using the "pull string n knot n washers system" ..eventually then from the inside add track for plexi to slide in ..what I do not like about that ...and this comes from almost 10 years of ground blind experience ...you better leave the openings ..be it mesh camo net or openings of whatever degree you need to hunt out of the same ...you set a ground blind and leave it all closed up ahead of season ..you create a black hole opening to that closed up ground blind to hunt out of it and you are back to zero with the mature deer ..what I do not know is does opening up a hole (as in raise the window cutout) 16' up get the deer's attention ..I don't mean the deer seeing it during opening ...I mean it being a different "look"

Please keep the ideas coming

Bear

I've had no problem with the deer seeing something different. If the deer doesn't see it move it just doesn't register with them. IHMO.

I build mine a little different. I put awnings made from plywood above my windows to block glare. The window is hung on the inside from the top with piano hinge. I make them from plywood. 3'x1'. I put a 6x9" piece of plexiglass in the center so I can see with the window closed if the weather is bad. I have a large shooting shelve with sand bags. I also paint the inside black and always wear a face mask. The house is camoed all the way to the ground and entered from a trap door. Deer don't have a clue you are there. I have refined this over many years and it works for me. Good hunting...

I build mine a little different. I put awnings made from plywood above my windows to block glare. The window is hung on the inside from the top with piano hinge. I make them from plywood. 3'x1'. I put a 6x9" piece of plexiglass in the center so I can see with the window closed if the weather is bad. I have a large shooting shelve with sand bags. I also paint the inside black and always wear a face mask. The house is camoed all the way to the ground and entered from a trap door. Deer don't have a clue you are there. I have refined this over many years and it works for me. Good hunting...
Pictures or it didn"t happen!!! ...just kidding ...but next time out do shoot and post a picture ....

Thanks Bear

I've had no problem with the deer seeing something different. If the deer doesn't see it move it just doesn't register with them. IHMO.

And see that's what I was not sure of on tower versus ground blind ...I promise a reaction from deer to a black hole (opening/window) showing up where none had been there before

You guys are awesome and are offering up exactly what I am looking for and in great detail ..THANKS ...with that said ..............
For this year ..just to stop banging around in the area ..to provide weather and sun deflection ...I am leaning towards simply cutting out the window openings with a jigsaw ...making the top cut first ..attaching the 2 hinges at the top to swing out and up and then cut the other 3 sides of the window opening allowing the cutout to be the "closure" ...using the "pull string n knot n washers system" ..eventually then from the inside add track for plexi to slide in ..what I do not like about that ...and this comes from almost 10 years of ground blind experience ...you better leave the openings ..be it mesh camo net or openings of whatever degree you need to hunt out of the same ...you set a ground blind and leave it all closed up ahead of season ..you create a black hole opening to that closed up ground blind to hunt out of it and you are back to zero with the mature deer ..what I do not know is does opening up a hole (as in raise the window cutout) 16' up get the deer's attention ..I don't mean the deer seeing it during opening ...I mean it being a different "look"

Please keep the ideas coming

Bear[/QUOTE
I considered the "black spot" issue on my second blind - I painted the outside of the windows black to replicate any interior shadow (painted the interior black as well) with the thinking that the deer will see the same thing regardless of if the windows where open or not. I have no idea if it helps or if I was simply over thinking it.

Well today was the day..... I had my young bull nephews to help with the stuff one man could not do ...so you saw the first picture of the lonesome tower stand with ladder only access ...so I started slowly by removing the ladder and ...building 19 steps to a 4' X 4' added platform and adding wings to convert from the original 4'X6" to a full 6'X6' ...added floor ..framed out the shell of the box and set the joists, purlins and cross strips to screw the barn roofing to ...so today the boys laid down the tar paper ...placed and screwed down the roofing ...screwed on the plywood ...made the top cuts of the windows ..installed hinges for window cutouts to swing outward and upward ...we still have trimming to do and this spring I will get serious about improving the windows .. but right now I am plum wore out and over budget to boot ..it isn't pretty but it is stable, dry and huntable

Bear
20160910_134434_resized1371047.jpg

Attachments

• 20160910_134343_resized[1371048].jpg
    20160910_134343_resized[1371048].jpg
    232 KB · Views: 0
  • 20160910_134434_resized[1371047].jpg
    20160910_134434_resized[1371047].jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back