VOTE or ADVICE on my box blind windows?

Very nice Bear! Why is it that the older we get the harder things are to do and the more money we spend doing it ?
I bet you have as much in that staircase as in the rest of the blind. Sure beats ladders though!

Nice stands guys. I liked the idea of a tower mounted on a buck of scafling I put my new stand up the same way last week. The boys are busy expanding a new business so help is short around here. Built the floor here and used my tractor with front end loader to install on top of the scafling. Built a stairs with handrail. Looking ahead as I get older. I'll get a picture when I go down to put the anchor cables on.

Jeff you are spot on on the steps cost ...the 14 step stringers were $45 each and the 5 steppers $25 ...all the rest of the materials were distressed priced (crooked,cracks etc) the sheet stuff I paid $1 to $3 for in a distressed bundle ...but even still I have $500 in it by the time you buy hinges,hooks.paint,screws,barn roof metal,caulk Etc Etc....... but I figure have extended my hunting at least ...10 years ..so I look at it like this ...(A) do it while young enough to swing a hammer and do the climbing ..(B) and I0 years into $500 += $50 a year to keep hunting ...don't get me wrong ..I still use ladder stands now as well as ground blinds in places and am really6 enjoying backing into a cedar tree in my guillie suit ..it is awesome in their face tuff man!

Bear

If you have windows all around - put dark curtains on the back and side windows, wear dark clothes - we use slider windows -and on the inside have pegs that you can adjust your rest across the window since we are all different and like different chairs, If you are on a field - put some corn or tree planting in front or up to it - plan an escape if your field is full of deer at dark. This is maybe the hardest thing to get right -but to your question -sliders are best in my opinion.

Last edited:
for the 1st tower we did - we got the steps from a neighbor re-doing his deck - we took the stairs out with a chainsaw and made them more narrow for our needs.

IMG_4380_zpsafh1ucph.jpg

for the second tower - we went to our local hardware store and offered to buy up seconds and shorts to build the stairs. Got a bunch of 2x10 treated for cheap.

South%20tower%20close%20to%20done%208-29-16_zps4nfqpfbr.jpg

If you have snow and ice - doors should open in - or should be raised 6-8" if opening out - we do both.

If you have windows all around - put dark curtains on the back and side windows, wear dark clothes - we use slider windows -and on the inside have pegs that you can adjust your rest across the window since we are all different and like different chairs, If you are on a field - put some corn or tree planting in front or up to it - plan an escape if your field is full of deer at dark. This is maybe the hardest thing to get right -but to your question -sliders are best in my opinion.
I also put black covers over the windows behind me. I also wear black from the waist up during bow season.

Back