Vertical Sliding Bow Windows

Ben Laska

Trying to think of a way to construct plexi windows that will slide vertical up and down easily similar to how i believe the 360 hunting blind windows do. I like building my elevated blinds with the style of more small sides (~12 sided) vs octagon style as you get better viewing, but the windows have to move vertical, as swing open windows would just cause issues.

Anyone have ideas? counterweights of some sort maybe?

It might be rather difficult, but take a look at some of the windows on tracked skid steers. The top pulls in towards you then you raise the whole window overhead. I have thought about this a couple times but never followed through with it. The one I am familiar with is a Takeuchi that a friend has. Those windows are almost silent.

You might check out DeerView windows. They make high quality windows and have various different vertical sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to think of a way to construct plexi windows that will slide vertical up and down easily similar to how i believe the 360 hunting blind windows do. I like building my elevated blinds with the style of more small sides (~12 sided) vs octagon style as you get better viewing, but the windows have to move vertical, as swing open windows would just cause issues.

Anyone have ideas? counterweights of some sort maybe?
Vertical sliding windows like the 360 windows are inexpensive and easy to build if you have some basic carpentry experience. If you can look at the inside of a 360 blind it would also be helpful to you. You need to frame the window opening with painted 2X2 wood or similar, and then you screw window slides flat on the inside, you need to get some plastic wood similar to azek or composite decking in a dark color, about 1/2" X 1 1/2" and cut saw blade grooves into the edge of it with a table saw for the vertical slides for the plexiglass to slide up and down in. Fasten a strip of wood to the top inside of the plexiglass window with small countersink screws and put a small eye hook screw in the top center, then fasten a string going straight up to another eye at the ceiling, route the string to the side of the window and back down with a weight like a small sandbag attached. Doing a double high archery window is the same style with two grooves in the plastic wood to create a double pane bypass window. Or just buy a 360 hunting blind for the best hunting windows on the market.

ab04a22813b93344345bb3df59f7d595.jpg
5827823d510af6b1a45e3ca3f9e72a39.jpg
b2c23593400699e1524f3d41fbcba271.jpg
e50e06ec37992b3337464504beca972d.jpg
ba0ef82b9887b2ee456ae5a5b5f6dbeb.jpg

Last edited:
Vertical sliding windows like the 360 windows are inexpensive and easy to build if you have some basic carpentry experience. If you can look at the inside of a 360 blind it would also be helpful to you. You need to frame the window opening with painted 2X2 wood or similar, and then you screw window slides flat on the inside, you need to get some plastic wood similar to azek or composite decking in a dark color, about 1/2" X 1 1/2" and cut saw blade grooves into the edge of it with a table saw for the vertical slides for the plexiglass to slide up and down in. Fasten a strip of wood to the top inside of the plexiglass window with small countersink screws and put a small eye hook screw in the top center, then fasten a string going straight up to another eye at the ceiling, route the string to the side of the window and back down with a weight like a small sandbag attached. Doing a double high archery window is the same style with two grooves in the plastic wood to create a double pane bypass window. Or just buy a 360 hunting blind for the best hunting windows on the market.

ab04a22813b93344345bb3df59f7d595.jpg
5827823d510af6b1a45e3ca3f9e72a39.jpg
b2c23593400699e1524f3d41fbcba271.jpg
e50e06ec37992b3337464504beca972d.jpg
ba0ef82b9887b2ee456ae5a5b5f6dbeb.jpg
what do you think best size of opening is vertical wise for almost exclusively bow hunting....30" 36"? Obviously the bigger the window taller the blind will have to be for windows like these, trying to find that happy medium or possibly mounting them lower to the ground but taller and practice more shooting from a chair vs standing.

what do you think best size of opening is vertical wise for almost exclusively bow hunting....30" 36"? Obviously the bigger the window taller the blind will have to be for windows like these, trying to find that happy medium or possibly mounting them lower to the ground but taller and practice more shooting from a chair vs standing.
Sorry, I overlooked your question. 360 Hunting Blinds starts their opening 24" off the floor and goes 30" high for the actual opening size. With a 6'1" wall height to the ceiling that size allows 19" to slide the double sliding panes above the opening. (They do a small fixed window in that 19" for something to see out if you are standing up) The plexiglass double sliding panes should be 16" high to cover the 30" opening with a 1" overlap. Note their system of blocks attached to the plexiglas to slide the double panels open with one string and weight. the upper block has a gap in the middle to allow the string to pass through to go on down and attach to the lower block. When you pull the string to open the window, the bottom pane slides up halfway across the opening then it hits the block on the upper pane and pushes it along the rest of the way up. This is a very smooth and quiet system.

This window height works for standing or sitting. Taller archery windows like this are usually around 10-12" wide.

568d4ab62e1ab44575df0bf481ac6646.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, I overlooked your question. 360 Hunting Blinds starts their opening 24" off the floor and goes 30" high for the actual opening size. With a 6'1" wall height to the ceiling that size allows 19" to slide the double sliding panes above the opening. (They do a small fixed window in that 19" for something to see out if you are standing up) The plexiglass double sliding panes should be 16" high to cover the 30" opening with a 1" overlap. Note their system of blocks attached to the plexiglas to slide the double panels open with one string and weight. the upper block has a gap in the middle to allow the string to pass through to go on down and attach to the lower block. When you pull the string to open the window, the bottom pane slides up halfway across the opening then it hits the block on the upper pane and pushes it along the rest of the way up. This is a very smooth and quiet system.

This window height works for standing or sitting. Taller archery windows like this are usually around 10-12" wide.

568d4ab62e1ab44575df0bf481ac6646.jpg

So there are actually 2 sliding tracks? I didn't realize that. Is the upper plexiglass typically solid painted on outside so the actual viewing from outside is only the lower 16" of viewing glass?

I really need to get in a display somewhere that has one as I got quote for one and I thought he said $2600 for just the blind. Fairly handy so feel I could cut that in 1/2 and build something very similar.

So there are actually 2 sliding tracks? I didn't realize that. Is the upper plexiglass typically solid painted on outside so the actual viewing from outside is only the lower 16" of viewing glass?

I really need to get in a display somewhere that has one as I got quote for one and I thought he said $2600 for just the blind. Fairly handy so feel I could cut that in 1/2 and build something very similar.

Both panels are the same tinted plexiglas, and yes, the jamb has a double track with the outside track just coming down halfway, this is a critical cut because the end of the cut is actually the upper window pane stop as well. There's a felt weatherstipping on the one pane to seal because the panes aren't tight against each other due to the double track, there's about an 1/8" in between the two.

I know it sounds like a lot of $, but they are the premier hunting blind on the market right now, and you pay for that. I've built my own, and I've bought blinds from different companies, for the money, I'd pay the $2600 and go work my regular job for the time i'd save i'd have the same money. I've toured their factory in Hegins Pa and the amish making these things build a nicer blind than I can build due to the automated processes that they have. I'm not a rep for their company but my friend Ed Weaver is the midwest distributor @deertrak360 (instagram) in Missouri. he will probably give you a better price than you get anywhere else.

Last edited:
I like my redneck but I also have a couple of home built and the one I put the windows from the originaldeerblindwindowcompany is the nicest windows

Back