Upgrading A Golf Cart

I know this is subjective but about how many miles do you get out of a full battery charge? Reason I ask is because I have access to a old cart and just need to replace the batteries. Also would need to install a lift kit but that’s fairly easy to do. My issue is I would need to travel 3-4 miles one way from where the cart would be stored to where I hunt. I would say the terrain would be considered moderate with a couple hills but for the most part it’s fairly flat.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt, I had a 217 acre place with two pretty good hills and I could go all over it when trapping coyotes about twice before needing to charge. Obviously the older your batteries get the less charge they will hold.

Sorry about influencing you to change your mind, but it's fun to help other people spend their money. IMO it's money well spent, it's only a matter of time until I buy something electric for hunting.
I'm thinking an all-electric 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning would fit the bill very nicely for a hunting vehicle to beat up in the woods...

Don’t be sorry for influencing me into buying an EV because I’ve been on this fence for some time now, so hopefully I’ll make the right decision but I’m not buying no electric truck, that you can take to the bank.

Anything two wheeled is out for me, left that to the young guys some years back. :)

I’m with you on this one also. One of the reasons I want one is my daughter likes to hunt and it gives the capability of me dropping her off at a stand location and not using two different machines.

Matt, I had a 217 acre place with two pretty good hills and I could go all over it when trapping coyotes about twice before needing to charge. Obviously the older your batteries get the less charge they will hold.

What are you calling pretty good hills? How about length and degree angle?

Another EV fan here. Been running the same converted electric golf cart since 2012. Just put my 3rd set of Trojan batteries in it this fall. Love that thing. E bike for past 3 years. Total game changer in terms of stealth. I put a wide rack on the back of the e-bike to strap on bow and later modified it with a set of Koplin clamps to accommodate gun or bow. Unless it's really wet, the e-bike gets the not to and from stands.
View attachment 22985

Battery swap every three years, is that correct? If so what is your charging regime and do you add water every year? Seems excessive to me to swap out batteries that often.

deer patch, I can’t give you degree of angle but one of them was probably 200 yards from top to bottom with an estimated 20’ elevation change. The other was probably the same elevation change but only 150 yards long. Add to that several smaller hills but longer pulls, if that makes sense.

As far as batteries, how long they last depends on how you maintain them. The ones I have now are 5/6 years old but I imagine I’ll have to change them this spring.

deer patch, I can’t give you degree of angle but one of them was probably 200 yards from top to bottom with an estimated 20’ elevation change. The other was probably the same elevation change but only 150 yards long. Add to that several smaller hills but longer pulls, if that makes sense.

As far as batteries, how long they last depends on how you maintain them. The ones I have now are 5/6 years old but I imagine I’ll have to change them this spring.

Thanks for the info.

My 2012 Electric 48V EZ Go has saved my bacon in extending my hunting life. I've had it 4 years now (age 82) on one set of batteries and I swear by it. It is a workhorse. All I've done for performance is put on knobby tires. I added a front basket and a headlight bar and I've taken off the windshield, and added two small cargo nets on the front roof line. I still have the original golf "sweater basket" on back. I took the golf bag rack off and that spot now carries my climber stand perfectly with bungee cords. It is QUIET. With the little cargo net and two baskets, I have all the incidentals I need to work or hunt. I spray painted the dash storage areas white to be able to see what's in them and I added an outlet to charge my phone and GPS. I zip tied an old watch to the driver's roof support. Lastly, I added gun racks that double for carrying a pole saw or other long handled tools. I top off the batteries EVERY time I use it, distilled water only. My GPS says it does 17 mph on the level which is plenty fast for my age and dirt roads. It'll drag two deer just fine!! The last little touches are a spray paint camo job and the stencil BUK TRUK. And, oh yes, did I mention it was QUIET?

My 2012 Electric 48V EZ Go has saved my bacon in extending my hunting life. I've had it 4 years now (age 82) on one set of batteries and I swear by it. It is a workhorse. All I've done for performance is put on knobby tires. I added a front basket and a headlight bar and I've taken off the windshield, and added two small cargo nets on the front roof line. I still have the original golf "sweater basket" on back. I took the golf bag rack off and that spot now carries my climber stand perfectly with bungee cords. It is QUIET. With the little cargo net and two baskets, I have all the incidentals I need to work or hunt. I spray painted the dash storage areas white to be able to see what's in them and I added an outlet to charge my phone and GPS. I zip tied an old watch to the driver's roof support. Lastly, I added gun racks that double for carrying a pole saw or other long handled tools. I top off the batteries EVERY time I use it, distilled water only. My GPS says it does 17 mph on the level which is plenty fast for my age and dirt roads. It'll drag two deer just fine!! The last little touches are a spray paint camo job and the stencil BUK TRUK. And, oh yes, did I mention it was QUIET?

I still haven’t justified that electric is the way to go with having to cross 2 streams and not ruining the motor if it gets wet. Not from the depth of water but the splash from crossing the stream.

I still haven’t justified that electric is the way to go with having to cross 2 streams and not ruining the motor if it gets wet. Not from the depth of water but the splash from crossing the stream.

I crossed streams many times with mine, just slowed down until there was no splash. All my creek (low water) crossings were built with rock but sometimes they had 6” to 8” of water flowing.

Verdict is still out. We are in the hills of WV and dad got an electric one last year. Jacked up, ballon tires etc and a lithium battery. It will pull anywhere we have, and a few places are right nasty with one person. Two people and some of the big pulls someone will have to get off. Depending on your riders and where you are going you most definitely have to watch the battery. It’s supposed to be a 25-30 miles on a charge but we have found 10-15 is a lot more like it. Dad is a fan, and I just say overall it has been a champ.

Verdict is still out. We are in the hills of WV and dad got an electric one last year. Jacked up, ballon tires etc and a lithium battery. It will pull anywhere we have, and a few places are right nasty with one person. Two people and some of the big pulls someone will have to get off. Depending on your riders and where you are going you most definitely have to watch the battery. It’s supposed to be a 25-30 miles on a charge but we have found 10-15 is a lot more like it. Dad is a fan, and I just say overall it has been a champ.
What is the brand name of this electric cart?

My brother and I bought a 2018 Polaris Ranger EV a few months ago. I swapped the 4 year old lead acid batteries for LiFePO4. Range is fair and it will go places a golf cart won't. It's a little louder than a golf cart, but still very quiet. I still need to replace one of the tires, but it's been good so far. It's mainly a people and stuff mover, not a heavy duty pulling machine or long range beast.

I love our gas powered club cart, it’s pretty quiet. If I keep it a couple hundred yards from the stand, I have no problems. It’s lifted, but nothing else has been done to it but some aggressive bigger tires. With the aluminum frame, it floats over just about anything. The avatar picture is Dawna and me, with a buck on the back. We’d just driven through a muddy creek crossing before that trail cam pic was taken.

Back