Upgrading A Golf Cart

deer patch

I’ve been thinking about buying an electric golf cart and doing an upgrade for hunting purposes. What’s the best brand and model to do a conversion with and what conversions would you recommend doing?

No expert here, but a lift and a better controller are two must upgrades IMO. I like a basket on the front. Mine is an E Z Go and it’s a Beast, no really it’s an E Z Go Beast. Already built with a lift, the upgraded controller and a camo body.

I do know this, without a doubt. The way you maintain your batteries will mean at least two more years for your battery life, or two less if you don’t maintain them properly. When your batts are new, discharge them as close to the bottom as you can for the first 5/10 charges. This keeps them from “taking a set” and not charging to their full potential. Read your instructions and keep the water at the proper levels. Distilled water only. Keep all your battery connections tight and corrosion free. The proper batts should last 5/6 years, if they don’t you ain’t doing something right. Good luck, they are worth the trouble.

I have a lifted 2008 yamaha gas engine golf cart with roof, rear facing second seat, lights, and gun racks. That thing is as tough as nails, uses almost no gas, and is pretty quiet. After going through a few batteries I always keep it plugged in when not in use. This thing is indispensable for a hunting camp, easy on and of, hit the pedal and go.
But I'm just waiting patiently for a better lithium electric model to hit the market, mainly for one reason, we're looking for something totally quiet to use for hunting.
I'm not a Polaris fan, but I've got my eye on the new Ranger lithium model they are bringing out next year.
It may be a bad time to buy one right now, with limited choices, and everyone bringing a new electric model out in the next few years.
I hear what you are saying about building one, I just know people go through a lot of batteries.

I’ve been looking at the upgraded torque motors and controllers and I her. You about maintenance of the batteries and the price of replacing them every 5/6 years. I was crappie fishing this spring and a man road a gas golf cart down the hill to me and I didn’t hear him coming until he was really close so that is an option because I’m basically trying to get away from the engine noise a 4 wheeler makes so the game and neighbors don’t hear me on my travels. My biggest issue is access, with my only way in is the SW corner and the best deer hunting is in the NE area of the property which is a mile away.

What is the recommended lift size?

Google up the Buggies Gone Wild forum and all your questions can be answered. Those guys know EVERYTHING about carts. Silence is why I use one, but you’ll be surprised how much noise the tires make when there’s no motor noise. It’s best to go as fast as you can safely go. Tthe s l o o w popping of sticks or gravel is worse than the whoosh as you go by. IMO

i weighed the options few years ago golf cart vs e-bike. i choose e-bike as much cheaper and i can get in/out easier and when get to stand can cover it up with pine bow and its hidden. I get roughly 20 miles/charge and can go through 1-3" of snow just fine. Brand we have is Rad Rover ~$1,500 vs i can't remember what golf carts were going for 5k??

Did a review last year if interested
http://deerhunterforum.com/index.php?threads/rad-power-electric-bike-review.5605/#post-98462

i weighed the options few years ago golf cart vs e-bike. i choose e-bike as much cheaper and i can get in/out easier and when get to stand can cover it up with pine bow and its hidden. I get roughly 20 miles/charge and can go through 1-3" of snow just fine. Brand we have is Rad Rover ~$1,500 vs i can't remember what golf carts were going for 5k??

Did a review last year if interested
http://deerhunterforum.com/index.php?threads/rad-power-electric-bike-review.5605/#post-98462
Thanks for the link. After I opened it I remembered the thread. I understand the price difference and with having to buy batteries every five/six years, the cost doesn’t add up compared to buying gas but every year I can hear the neighbors riding to and from stand and I know if I can hear them they can hear me also which leaves me thinking about going all electric.

Thanks for the link. After I opened it I remembered the thread. I understand the price difference and with having to buy batteries every five/six years, the cost doesn’t add up compared to buying gas but every year I can hear the neighbors riding to and from stand and I know if I can hear them they can hear me also which leaves me thinking about going all electric.
The discussion about how much deer are bothered by motorized vehicles will go on as long as there are deer and motorized vehicles around, but one thing is certain when it comes to deer; the more unobtrusive you are, the better your chances will be. Electric definitely has a spot on the deer hunters Christmas list.

I’m with MM. We can definitely tell the difference here at home. On my W line we corn the right of way to kill hogs on. My son discovered that if he drove his Ranger close to the stand no hogs would show until dark or nearly dark. When I drive my cart there and park fifty feet from the stand I see hogs by 4:00 pm or sooner. You see our problem ?A957DE8D-5253-4425-942B-97357D90CDD1.jpeg

On the place I used to own I would drive up right behind my stand and park with my cart. It was thick and nothing could see it. I usually used no lights because I have great night vision. If I had to have a light I used a red filtered flashlight. I usually did this thirty minutes or more before daylight. Often when it got light enough to see there would be deer or hogs in my food plot. No way this would happen with a gasoline ride. Before I had the cart I had my Ranger down there. I would walk to this same stand and my buddy would pick me up after dark. Sometimes there would be deer in my plot because I could still see dim shapes with my binos. They would usually run off when he got within 50/75 yards of me.

On the place I used to own I would drive up right behind my stand and park with my cart. It was thick and nothing could see it. I usually used no lights because I have great night vision. If I had to have a light I used a red filtered flashlight. I usually did this thirty minutes or more before daylight. Often when it got light enough to see there would be deer or hogs in my food plot. No way this would happen with a gasoline ride. Before I had the cart I had my Ranger down there. I would walk to this same stand and my buddy would pick me up after dark. Sometimes there would be deer in my plot because I could still see dim shapes with my binos. They would usually run off when he got within 50/75 yards of me.
We are doing more walking than we used to, and we feel like we can see a marked difference, not more deer total, but more deer showing up more in daylight.

We are doing more walking than we used to, and we feel like we can see a marked difference, not more deer total, but more deer showing up more in daylight.

MM, I have a theory about that too. I used to walk to all my stands, especially during bow season. But I always wound up getting sweaty (this is Texas) and more stinky to a deer. My theory is if you can scoot to your area quietly and quickly you leave less scent in the air, actually make it harder to pinpoint what little noise you’re making, and just generally cause less commotion. Keeping cool(er) was important to me while bowhunting, it’s hard to concentrate when sweat is pouring off your body. :)

MM, I have a theory about that too. I used to walk to all my stands, especially during bow season. But I always wound up getting sweaty (this is Texas) and more stinky to a deer. My theory is if you can scoot to your area quietly and quickly you leave less scent in the air, actually make it harder to pinpoint what little noise you’re making, and just generally cause less commotion. Keeping cool(er) was important to me while bowhunting, it’s hard to concentrate when sweat is pouring off your body. :)
I have considered an off road electric scooter, just to overcome all of the issues we are talking about. The reason that you made me think of it now is that you mention quietly and quickly, which it would fit the bill perfectly, and they are small enough to part right behind your stand (or even park it inside your hunting blind). 2 reasons holding me back, it's new technology that you pay through the nose for, and, there's no room for gear besides slinging it all on your back. But definitely fast and "cool"

You guys are killing me. I had all but talked myself out of buying one and then with all your recent comments that you two have, has talked me back into getting one. The reasons you all keep bringing up is the reasons I started looking in the first place. Well looks like I’ll keep looking for a decent priced machine again and maybe get myself a Christmas present or let the wife say she bought it for me.

You guys are killing me. I had all but talked myself out of buying one and then with all your recent comments that you two have, has talked me back into getting one. The reasons you all keep bringing up is the reasons I started looking in the first place. Well looks like I’ll keep looking for a decent priced machine again and maybe get myself a Christmas present or let the wife say she bought it for me.
Sorry about influencing you to change your mind, but it's fun to help other people spend their money. IMO it's money well spent, it's only a matter of time until I buy something electric for hunting.
I'm thinking an all-electric 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning would fit the bill very nicely for a hunting vehicle to beat up in the woods...

Sorry about influencing you to change your mind, but it's fun to help other people spend their money. IMO it's money well spent, it's only a matter of time until I buy something electric for hunting.
I'm thinking an all-electric 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning would fit the bill very nicely for a hunting vehicle to beat up in the woods...

I like the way you think MM !o_O

EV is the way to go for hunting. Slip in and out quietly Check cameras or what ever. I had the Polaris EV but as long as you don’t have major hills and upgraded golf cart should work fine

I know this is subjective but about how many miles do you get out of a full battery charge? Reason I ask is because I have access to a old cart and just need to replace the batteries. Also would need to install a lift kit but that’s fairly easy to do. My issue is I would need to travel 3-4 miles one way from where the cart would be stored to where I hunt. I would say the terrain would be considered moderate with a couple hills but for the most part it’s fairly flat.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another EV fan here. Been running the same converted electric golf cart since 2012. Just put my 3rd set of Trojan batteries in it this fall. Love that thing. E bike for past 3 years. Total game changer in terms of stealth. I put a wide rack on the back of the e-bike to strap on bow and later modified it with a set of Koplin clamps to accommodate gun or bow. Unless it's really wet, the e-bike gets the not to and from stands.
411E8A61-EA3C-4A07-967A-E97A8B1410DE.jpeg

Another EV fan here. Been running the same converted electric golf cart since 2012. Just put my 3rd set of Trojan batteries in it this fall. Love that thing. E bike for past 3 years. Total game changer in terms of stealth. I put a wide rack on the back of the e-bike to strap on bow and later modified it with a set of Koplin clamps to accommodate gun or bow. Unless it's really wet, the e-bike gets the not to and from stands.
View attachment 22985
Triple, Isn't that picture an anachronism or oxymoron, or some kind of word of misplaced mixture of old and new??? LOL. Cool bike.

Can't help the OP much except that I do have a lifted, all terrain, oversize tired, flip down carry bed in a gasoline version. I've used it at the farm but prefer my 2003 Kawi Brute Force. The cart will certainly go most anywhere on my hilly terrain but honestly only use if for the golf course. Get lots of compliments if that makes a difference. I have no juice at the farm so electric not much an option and I don't like the cost of battery replacement in carts. I've ridden upon deer in the ATV and honestly I don't think it makes any difference if they are used to seeing you around on a vehicle. I'm quite sure a deer can hear plenty of noise from an electric that they can perceive as a threat. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Back