Tree tubes on dunstan chestnut

I live in central Mississippi. Summers are brutal here. I planted some chestnuts and persimmon in tree tubes (vent holes at top)
Is it going to be too hot in the tubes in the summertime??
41e30e09d9f0094a10e115a8163c7226.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have planted chestnuts and persimmons in tubes south of you in Louisiana. I have had a couple of trees die in tubes, but the vast majority have done just fine.

If you do decide to use tubes and you haven't used them before, make sure to get the bottom of the tube level with or under the ground. If the bottom of the tube has space between it and the ground, it will create a chimney effect that will dry a seedling out quickly in hot weather. It looks like you have it low enough in your photo, but it is something you should be aware of when using tubes.

If you do decide to use tubes and you haven't used them before, make sure to get the bottom of the tube level with or under the ground. If the bottom of the tube has space between it and the ground, it will create a chimney effect that will dry a seedling out quickly in hot weather. It looks like you have it low enough in your photo, but it is something you should be aware of when using tubes.

I seated them all the way to ground and then put mulch around them to hold them in place and choke out weeds/grass. Hopefully that will do it. I may go back and put a little more mulch

Tree tubes are greenhouse microwave ovens, are free range feeders for raccoons when invaded by wasps, final resting places for baby birds, high rise condos for fire ants,shelter for field mice, and predispose baby trees to fungus and root rot

Aside from that, they are a great product

bill

Tree tubes are greenhouse microwave ovens, are free range feeders for raccoons when invaded by wasps, final resting places for baby birds, high rise condos for fire ants,shelter for field mice, and predispose baby trees to fungus and root rot
Aside from that, they are a great product

bill
You forgot that tree tubes make great tree frog habitat. Do we really want to get into the tube vs. cage debate? I use both. Every parcel of land is different and every tree species responds differently to a tube or cage. Try them both. Take notes and make informed decisions on what is or is not working for you.

You forgot that tree tubes make great tree frog habitat. Do we really want to get into the tube vs. cage debate? I use both. Every parcel of land is different and every tree species responds differently to a tube or cage. Try them both. Take notes and make informed decisions on what is or is not working for you.

Fishman,please........

Never let knowledge or reason trump emotion and dogma.......

bill

You did it right by putting bottoms in the ground. Take em off next year. Max 2 years. The leaves will fall in tube and absorb moisture and rot the bark. You’ll get a 3-4 year head start on tubing first year (I’ve done both and there is no comparison).
You’ll get nuts quicker too. Make sure you cage after taking tube off.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

You did it right by putting bottoms in the ground. Take em off next year. Max 2 years. The leaves will fall in tube and absorb moisture and rot the bark. You’ll get a 3-4 year head start on tubing first year (I’ve done both and there is no comparison).
You’ll get nuts quicker too. Make sure you cage after taking tube off.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

The chestnuts had 4/5 leaves and persimmon had maybe 2/3 on them already. They came from nativ nurseries so they were already maybe 2 foot tall. Should I check in a couple of weeks and remove any leaves that fall off?
Planted day before yesterday before a heavy rain

I’m in North MS and have used tree tubes for years on chestnuts and other species. They have worked fine for me

I had the issue of the tree not wanting to put off limbs and they seemed to struggle.I took tubes off and caged and they are doing fine now.I use arbor lock to keep tree growing straight and keep from hitting cage

Back