Tires?

E_308

It is about time to put a new set of shoes on the Dodge. The factory tires are just over 70,000 miles. Obviously I get a lot of highway. Looking for something with a little more tread that won't drive me crazy on the interstate. Not my daily driver anymore so I can get away with a little road noise. I also might level it out and put a little bigger tire on it (275 on it now, probably go to 285)

217500_1649004795592_4963974_n.jpg

I would like to avoid this..........

557818_2922522992751_786421236_n.jpg

Lets here what you have for tire recommendations.

Cooper Discoverer AT3 seems to be a good one for no road noise and still having a little bit of aggressive enough tread to keep you from getting stuck...I have a set on my Ram 2500 in 315/70-17 size and my wife has a set on her Nissan Xterra...

ca1405680a8752bc11e4fcd433b3e255.jpg

I have the Cooper Discovers as well. Let me just say from a life time of personal experience though if you are going to drive on that slimy, pack in your tread type clay you are either going to tear the road to hell or get stuck. Around here either one of those things makes you look like your a dumba$$.

Been a long time for me buying tires for my truck. Last "real" tires I bought where Goodyear MTR's for my Z71. Those where awesome tires as long as you kept them rotated. I'm not even sure goodyear makes them anymore.

Nothing worse than being stuck!

I have the Cooper Discovers as well. Let me just say from a life time of personal experience though if you are going to drive on that slimy, pack in your tread type clay you are either going to tear the road to hell or get stuck. Around here either one of those things makes you look like your a dumba$$.

This one was after a 10 min downpour on some dry lonely west Kansas road. Slimiest mud I have ever seen, the "ruts" are only 1-2 inches deep but it packed in the all terrain tread and won't budge. It was bone dry when we parked. And yes I felt like a DA!

I'm a truck guy i've owned dang near every aggressive tire known to man. I currently have mickey thompson mtzs on my show truck, nitto trail grapplers on my daily driver and goodyear duratracs on everything else. For a everyday tire I wouldnt hesitate to keep putting duratracs on everything, in fact I ordered a set today for the farm trucks. I've got anwhere from 60-80k on them including on 3/4 tons, do great in winter, decent in mud. Definiely have road noise and tend to feel a lil squeeshy sometimes side to side on the road but overall the favorite tire i've ever owned.

This one was after a 10 min downpour on some dry lonely west Kansas road. Slimiest mud I have ever seen, the "ruts" are only 1-2 inches deep but it packed in the all terrain tread and won't budge. It was bone dry when we parked. And yes I felt like a DA!

I should have also said that "personal experience" in my life does equate to the DA label as well!:) Now am older and wiser..... well sometimes!

Know what is even slicker than that mud? Wait for that road to freeze and then the top 1/2" to thaw out on a sunny day and then try to drive on it! Hell I dare you to even try to walk on it!!

Last edited:
I've had really good luck with Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's. Work great in the snow and pretty quiet on the road. Not too bad in light mud either. Hauling a heavy trailer on gravel seems to chunk them so they must be fairly soft.

I am in a similar situation. I have a 2012 Dodge 2500, diesel. I bought Michelin LTX M2 or something like that 2 years ago. Bought them at Discount Tire and was assured they would go 90,000. I was field hunting goose this weekend and run a corn stock through the sidewall, believe it or not. Luckily I bought a no questions asked type of warrant from Discount Tire. Anyhow I told Discount Tire today that I'm not happy with the purchase, because the tires have 40,000 miles and are down to the wear bars. This is with rotating them every 7000 miles at oil changes.

Long story short, I am getting a free tire for the corn stubble due to the warranty. They also said the tires should have lasted more miles and prorated the warranty, giving me back about $85 for the other 3 tires. So, I'm getting 4 new Michelins for a little over $400. These are strictly highway tires, message is the Discount Tire warranty isn't a bad thing, maybe. Usually not an extended warranty type of guy.

I put Cooper AT3's on my truck last fall(Oct 2015) and they do have some road noise to them. I had Cooper CTS tires before the AT3's and they were much quieter. The AT3's are good tires but I'm not a fan of the road noise. I just bought a new Chevy in July and it has the Goodyear SR-A tires. I'm not sure how good they are in mud but they are quiet on the highway and seemed pretty good on a snow covered road. I do more highway driving so I'm more about the quietness and try to avoid offroad driving in mud as much as possible.

Me too, I would like to level out and put some meats on. I'm probably the only low rider in Colorado.

DSC07271 (1200 x 900).jpg

G

Just check with the manufacturer of your vehicle as to what... if any ...changes to your engines brain box needs to occur when you up size tires
Various makers use different points of collecting the RPM's ...which are used ...in effect ...to set your engines timing as well as your transmissions shift timing ...some trucks easily handle upsizing and some don't ...just depends on where that timing system obtains it's rpm info

I know lots of guys do it without a thought and/or say no problem ...BUT ....it could short term mean less power,poorer fuel economy or worse long range transmission (incorrect shift rpm/torque) or engine damage to pre/late detonation

so a simple re-program, chip or in some cases nothing can solve the issues ...if any do exist

Merry Chrismas

Bear

Put a set of the gen2 nitto terra grapplers on about 20k ago and have been happy so far. Quiet tire to me. Went 295/70/17 btw without leveling on a 2011 ram 1500. No issues with clearing at all.

Put a set of the gen2 nitto terra grapplers on about 20k ago and have been happy so far. Quiet tire to me. Went 295/70/17 btw without leveling on a 2011 ram 1500. No issues with clearing at all.
Got any pictures? did it change your mileage much? I like the look of the nittos but hadn't talked to anyone that had ran them

I'm on my 5th set of BFG KO all terrains. Great tire, great all around performance. Some, but not a lot of road noise. I got 70,000 out of them on a toyota, and about 55000 so far on my Dodge 2500. Only complaint I have is they pick up rocks real easy. If you have mud guards it's not an issue.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Toyo Open Country. They may very well be my next set. They even have a 65,000 mile warranty.
As mentioned Coopers are good tires too and made in the USA.

I'm on my 5th set of BFG KO all terrains. Great tire, great all around performance. Some, but not a lot of road noise. I got 70,000 out of them on a toyota, and about 55000 so far on my Dodge 2500. Only complaint I have is they pick up rocks real easy. If you have mud guards it's not an issue.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Toyo Open Country. They may very well be my next set. They even have a 65,000 mile warranty.
As mentioned Coopers are good tires too and made in the USA.
I had Toyo Open Country on my Dodge Dually I used to own. I bought them for the tread life claim but my truck ate them in short order. I got about 20K miles out of my set and they were way past the wear bars at that point...

I had Toyo Open Country on my Dodge Dually I used to own. I bought them for the tread life claim but my truck ate them in short order. I got about 20K miles out of my set and they were way past the wear bars at that point...

Good to know... guess I'll plan on another set of BFG's. Thanks for the advice!

Back