The Massey

I ended up taking the mower over to mow down the bindweed, and I’m GLAD I did. There was much more of it around than I thought. Some was already beginning to suffocate one of our young red oaks. I called the extension office and will hopefully hear back from them tomorrow, about what to use in terms of spray. It would be great if they would pay for a portion of the chemical, since this is an invasive, but I’m not counting on that. I don’t want to use glyphosate on it on these bigger area and kill everything. Especially on the hillside and in the waterway. I’m hoping that by mowing, it will getting the older parts of it growing aggressively again, so I can get a good kill.

Check with your County Public Works. Here in Geary County they can sell you some chemicals at really cheap prices. They don’t have everything, but they do have some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The callery pear graft continues to impress!
IMG_0184.jpeg
Kicked up a couple good bucks bedded about 40 yards from the tree; that’s the downfall of having to do a little pruning maintenance on the trunk. REALLY beginning to need some rain!

Check with your County Public Works. Here in Geary County they can sell you some chemicals at really cheap prices. They don’t have everything, but they do have some

Bough 2.5 gallons each of Gly and 2-4d for $46 total. Practically stealing it!

66092334d287f748bdaa0d533ac6d95b.jpg

I thought I had found a deal on line for $52 for a 2.5 g of gly. I'd stock up for the next shortage at those prices.

We have a clover plot ladies and gentlemen!!! To most of you, this might not be a big deal, but after 3 years of drought and failed attempts at perennial plotting, this is huge!
It might not be pretty, but there’s clover in there I assure you. On top of that, of the 6 plots we have distributed on 3 different properties, this is the one that is most vital for hunting success; and there should be some dandy bucks running around this area. Here’s some pics:
First of all, the attire for the mowing. :rolleyes:
IMG_0251.jpeg
The first look
IMG_0252.jpeg
After look
IMG_0256.jpeg
The hiding clover, hoping the new sunlight will get it really going
IMG_0253.jpeg
As you can see in the above pic, the camera is set and going now; we’ll see what’s been running around.

Took the advice of the crew on here for the lower barn plot.
The first look
IMG_0265.jpeg
There is a little bit of clover around, not much though unfortunately
IMG_0266.jpeg
Too much of this around for sure, this is the only spot left of it in the plot though for now. I have a plan to deal with it in a few weeks.
IMG_0267.jpeg
The no-tilled oats actually did a decent job of suppressing the johnson grass; outside of the planted oats, the johnson grass was much taller and putting on seed heads.
IMG_0269.jpeg
Also learned the gly does a number on the bindweed. One of the spot-sprayed areas from a month ago. The green in it is cut grass.
IMG_0270.jpeg
Finished product, I didn’t feel like loading the tractor and brushhog; so I set the deck up high on the Dixon.
IMG_0271.jpeg
Planted a few pumpkins, hoping for some rain on them the next couple days.
IMG_0272.jpeg
Re-taped the callery pear graft and cobbled the duck tape a little to where it had let loose some. Still looking good. Also spooked those bucks again bedded this time about 40 yards right behind the tree in the pic. One is a doozy, shooter for sure!
IMG_0273.jpeg
If we get this rain, I’ll wait a couple weeks and spray the south end of the plot; just about a quarter acre or so, it will go into brassicas in about a month. Figured that would take care of the bindweed infestation for a while at least. I haven’t even tried brassicas in a couple years, this year has given me some hope though. We’ll see!

Went ahead and sprayed the future brassica spot at the lower barn plot. Stuff is still growing enough for the time-being to be able to get a kill. Much more of this dry heat and that will be done. Had to water the direct seeded oaks from this winter, they are beginning to show signs of struggling. The +2 year old trees are still hanging in there. We need rain SOON though. The pears are still hurting from the drift this spring, it’s a shame. I don’t know if they’ll ever come out of it fully. :(

Looks like there is a ton of JG there,may not be very tall but I would still kill it.Spray with plateau and it won't kill NWSG

A new era has begun at the Massey, a cell cam is now in place. I was going to put it on a longtime scrape, but I decided to make my own a little closer to a regular travel route. I put some scrape butter on the limbs and will do some more to encourage activity later. I have the camera set to deliver pics once a day as directed by weekender.
IMG_0331.jpeg
IMG_0332.jpeg
IMG_0334.jpeg
We got a great rain a couple days ago, it’s so nice seeing everything remain green this summer, a welcome sight to sore eyes for the farmers/ranchers for sure.
Saw the back foodplot for the first time in several months. It should be ready for throw and mow this fall, it never cease to amaze me how well rye suppresses grass and weeds. I have a question about this pic I’ll post on the regenerative post. I thought at first the beavers had been at work, but a closer look showed the big oak simply fell.
IMG_0335.jpeg

Had the best barn sit of the summer so far. Beans look good, that in itself is a win after the last few years. This fall just might mark the first bean harvest in the neighborhood since 2020. Anywho, deer were out and at least 2 shooters were amongst them. Including the leaning brow 8 that likes to bed close the pear graft tree. He’s a stud! Biggest surprise of the evening was watching the a good number of the deer chow down on bindweed. :oops:

I have a few pics to share from my day off. I began at the Massey and then headed to my folks to work on our project car. A ‘70 Camaro I purchased in 1995. I drag raced it for a few years and for the most part, it has sat in my folks barn for the last 20 years. Dad did some bracket racing with it in 2004 when his car threw a rod. The plan to is to make a street cruiser out of it. There’s a LOT of work to be done and it will take some time, I don’t want to shell out the cash for all the body work (and it needs a lot) at one time. I’m hoping a local acquaintance of mine will be willing to tackle it at his house shop. He is a part owner of a body shop, but still does some work at his house too. The engine is currently being freshened by a family friend who originally built the short block years ago. I also managed to pick up a camera card and saw as couple familiar faces from last year, and the boys have put on some inches!

This is our ONLY plot that has some perennial growth. It’s a plot on a permission piece of ground. Most of the plots sprouted last fall and then subsequently died, all that flourished were the cereals. It hard to believe this is a “good” stand of clover and chicory. :(
IMG_0344.jpeg
A few pumpkins are alive and kicking! A new experiment at the Massey.
IMG_0345.jpeg
The car project…
IMG_0347.jpeg
The boys…
07110130.jpeg
07170582.jpeg
Just a look at one of the stripped kieffer pears behind the house — yellow grasshoppers:mad:
IMG_0353.jpeg

Had a fun evening in the barn yesterday.
Loving the green in the pics this year! We’re pretty dry right now and need some rain, but it’s NOTHING like the past 3 years.
IMG_0377.jpeg
Some of the approx 20 deer that showed up, two neighbors have beans this year too, so the deer are pretty spread out.
IMG_0379.jpeg
This 8 has been around for a couple years, he made a big jump this year and should be well above 140”, which is a stud 8 in my book. Hopefully he and a couple others stick around this fall. Sorry for bad pic, that’s the best my phone could do. I MIGHT have a spotter with a phone mount by next year at this time?? Btw, he and several other deer were chowing down on bindweed again while I took this pic.
IMG_0380.jpeg
Headed to the Massey to mow down some foxtail and Johnson grass today. Hoping we get a good rain in the next couple weeks so I can spray some for the lower barn fall plot and also get the brassicas off and running once they’re in the ground.

Also going to water the oak seedlings and the pumpkins today too. Bigger trees are still hanging in pretty good, though grasshoppers are beginning to focus on the crabapples. :mad:

A few pics from the work at the Massey today.
I’m hoping I got most of the foxtail before it fully matured.
IMG_0387.jpeg
A look at the “plot”; if you look really close, you can see a little of the oats I drilled with clover this spring. No clover though.
IMG_0384.jpeg
Trying to help the pumpkins hang in until we get some rain. I should have taken a pic of the burr oak seedlings, I hope I didn’t wait too long b/t watering. If they still have a little bit of faded green in the leaves, are they still alive?
IMG_0388.jpeg
The year 3 planted oaks are doing good still, haven’t had to water them yet this year. A bonafide miracle! :)
IMG_0389.jpeg
If any of you tree buffs venture on here, let me know about the oak seedlings. I’d rather see the answer here than ask on another thread, for future purpose. Thanks!

Last edited:
The cracks aren’t yet what they’ve been the past few years, hopefully they don’t get any bigger!!
IMG_0395.jpeg

Back