The Massey

That is a beautiful shed. It surprises me every year when you, Cat, and even Okie sometimes find sheds so much earlier than us. I always thought deer shed earlier the further North.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have 1 very small buck that has shed 1 side...everything else is still holding...

That is a beautiful shed. It surprises me every year when you, Cat, and even Okie sometimes find sheds so much earlier than us. I always thought deer shed earlier the further North.

The drought this year really has them dropping early. I had a fully shed, very mature buck come by me on December 9th. I’m pretty sure he was the buck I was targeting on that property.

Last edited:
Pretty good start to the shed season, considering we haven’t hardly walked at all yet. These all came from the in-law’s.
2F0842C1-B39E-4D17-B10B-B723A75B022B.jpeg
A9FF9696-32F4-4F95-A093-336A6843507C.jpeg 00847D9B-BED2-4F95-8725-B919E413BB61.jpeg
This put a little bit of a damper on the morning. EHD buck from this fall, he died in full velvet looks like, also found a doe about 80 yards away.
67B84223-3CED-497C-B579-D55AEF8816DF.jpeg

We haven’t found but three fresh so far, but they have been hammers! Good job!

We’ve had our best year for shed hunting in quite a while. Unfortunately, not many came off the Massey, but corn stalks no-tilled to wheat makes for some tough looking.
View attachment 24934

Nice looking stack! We are having a decent year as well. Numbers are okay, but we have found some slammers!

We got up to 42 antlers for the season, just picked up what is probably the last on the way to the in-laws a couple days ago. It was a nice young 3 point side that survived both a chisel plow and a disk.:)
Should have several trees showing up the end of this week to get in the ground, some of those funky fruit trees Native posted last year, and some persimmons. Also have what might be a hybrid burr oak of some kind from the grandparents old yard and a couple chestnuts from Matt, all grown from seed, that need to be put in the ground soon.
As always, we're still praying for rain, some more chances this week. It's been over 10 months now since a 2" rain.:(

Planted what will hopefully be our future persimmon grove. We put them at the end of the north waterway. We plan to get a cottonwood planted within bow range also soon — need a tree for the stand. :)

The 12 little trees got some screening but that’s all; they are just native seedlings, so who knows whether they’re male or female. Hoping for at least a few females. The bigger trees are a grafted native female and a roseyannka, they all came from wildlife group.

B7BD3028-8663-4A83-B915-7A884C32C308.jpeg
AAA5E8C9-88C7-44C8-813C-64490C04E029.jpeg
BD0FCE15-1775-457B-A517-9060FF4D528A.jpeg

On a sad note, it is SO dry. I’m very nervous about the coming bud break on oaks and some fruit trees, I’m nervous we lost a lot of trees over winter.

I was reading post 1 and thought wow cat can say some new things about spraying now.I was at a county meeting and a lady was there that her place got sprayed by some planes spraying for a big TV ranch in Oklahoma that owns alot of land by the lake in SE Cowley county and they don't seem to care either.I wouldn't take to nice to crop dusters flying over my house.I have to decide what to do with the neighbors that burned a few acres this week.I got lucky,it could have been worse.So where do you find most of your bigger sheds?I find the little ones and swore I knew where a big one was bedding this year but haven't found them yet.I do know what days he dropped them

We found most of ours close to wheat or really green forage. The drought really has things shook up around here, and it really put the deer on wheat even more than usual.

We found most of ours close to wheat or really green forage. The drought really has things shook up around here, and it really put the deer on wheat even more than usual.
Looks like a strip of rain moving through SE Kansas right now...

Headed to the Massey this morning to water the new persimmon trees, managed to get lucky and pick up a couple late sheds that we somehow hadn’t laid eyes on yet. Just a couple little ones, bumped us up to 44 on the year I believe.
Also planted a good part of the garden and put the 2 chestnuts and the oak we grew from seed last year in buckets. I hope they’ll be alright, they got pretty root bound in the one gallon pots last year. I’ll baby them in the 4 gallons this year and plant them this fall or next spring.
Still praying for rain, have a chance Monday. Have a great Easter tomorrow everyone!!

Headed back over to the Massey this afternoon to water the persimmons and plant the 2 chestnuts and the hybrid burr oak. I was pretty certain they were all root bound some; the oak wa s the worst and I had to cut a lot of the main root off, I hope it will make it. It looks like the drop tine crabapple might have succumbed to the drought. I’ll post some pics in the tree pages and see what you guys think. Here’s the pics here too for my records.
The oak tap root I had to cut…
3CD23F5A-4AA8-4084-B004-39710CD2B42E.jpeg
The drop tine crab…
A6CB67EB-346C-47B7-8238-25420E8499E3.jpeg
43C2DBAF-7BBC-45F2-8FB1-D3B0DA6CE3D3.jpeg
The limbs don’t look too bad, although they haven’t budded yet and the other crabs have.

Back