Targeting Specific Buck - Success???

Used to. Now I have years were I don't even run the cameras much. I just hope to get in a tree a few times and enjoy the quiet. If a big buck comes out I might shoot it, if a doe comes out I might shoot it. I found I was taking the trophy hunting too seriously and not enjoying the time as much as I should. To each their own.

Used to. Now I have years were I don't even run the cameras much. I just hope to get in a tree a few times and enjoy the quiet. If a big buck comes out I might shoot it, if a doe comes out I might shoot it. I found I was taking the trophy hunting too seriously and not enjoying the time as much as I should. To each their own.
It is easy to loose sight of why we do what we do.

The small Buck I shot last year was the First Legal Buck I had ever seen while Hunting in Florida. I got to watch it for about 30 minutes waiting for the right shot.

I was shaking like it was the first deer I ever seen or shot. If that feeling ever goes away I'm done.

I have a top 5 list every year and usually tag # 2, 3 or 4. When the rut hits, it’s common to have a couple disappear. Some are seen again after the season, most are not. We usually have a new buck or two show up as well.

As an aside, last night I had my number one buck in front of me, but never had a shot I was comfortable with from a sitting position(<60 yds).

Personally, I have an easier time patterning our deer the first week of the season before they transition from plots to acorns (with 200+ acres of oaks, it’s really challenging to pin down an area that is outside of our sanctuary).

I hunted a chilly September evening and had an encounter with my #2. They are always bigger in person :). I just had no desire to shoot him. I’m going to hold out unless some rut roamer gets me excited.

The more I’ve spread cameras out, the more confused I am about my #1. He’s obviously a smart ol deer and if he’s hanging where I think he is he will be very difficult to kill. I’ll give it my best effort.

Just killed my target buck this year on my third hunt out. Run a lot of trail cameras and you figure out his pattern pretty quick and then hunt several days in a row before he changes his pattern. Worked this year and has also worked for me in past years.

Just killed my target buck this year on my third hunt out. Run a lot of trail cameras and you figure out his pattern pretty quick and then hunt several days in a row before he changes his pattern. Worked this year and has also worked for me in past years.
Awesome! Pics?

Awesome! Pics?

Here ya go...

52f00815c9ad9757907967c2bd1116b2.jpg

d6974084b4d3f121453d94b5118b68bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well...the neighbor's son in law got him. He had no clue he was there, but was hunting a good funnel and a hot doe drug him and three other bucks by yesterday evening. I had just gotten a rare daylight picture of him on his feet at 2:15pm and was on my way to try to cut him off. He was a stud and I don't regret holding out for him. Also glad I got to see him in person and was able to help him load the deer on his four wheeler. I spent more time in a stand this year than ever and let some great bucks walk. One that I definitely would have shot any other year. Thankfully Dad was able to get him. He had some time to spread his genes. I am thankful he was taken legally by a very deserving hunter.

Face removed because I didn't clear it with him.

y4mFp9ZPqQqMXd6uWhTSK8Ziwk8Ey7gyQpmCTt3GHgmdGCYYYYj-8o67sz-GVu5-XMSQAcIavScE0opvhHYMSPfsWgZd5CNlY9Q0vaBk9BYI-UvaMqo9QknJTh7QFnrowOar3TZlQfkapgU5ooOrRezFMNfGQNyOEXXQpbBzC67__QlSpJqV-Wxz9R0J2U_AGhR

Well...the neighbor's son in law got him. He had no clue he was there, but was hunting a good funnel and a hot doe drug him and three other bucks by yesterday evening. I had just gotten a rare daylight picture of him on his feet at 2:15pm and was on my way to try to cut him off. He was a stud and I don't regret holding out for him. Also glad I got to see him in person and was able to help him load the deer on his four wheeler. I spent more time in a stand this year than ever and let some great bucks walk. One that I definitely would have shot any other year. Thankfully Dad was able to get him. He had some time to spread his genes. I am thankful he was taken legally by a very deserving hunter.

y4mFp9ZPqQqMXd6uWhTSK8Ziwk8Ey7gyQpmCTt3GHgmdGCYYYYj-8o67sz-GVu5-XMSQAcIavScE0opvhHYMSPfsWgZd5CNlY9Q0vaBk9BYI-UvaMqo9QknJTh7QFnrowOar3TZlQfkapgU5ooOrRezFMNfGQNyOEXXQpbBzC67__QlSpJqV-Wxz9R0J2U_AGhR

That’s a true giant! Congratulations!

I definitely would have waited for that buck! He's a once in a lifetime deer, and to fill your tag with a lesser buck knowing he's around would always have allowed the question, what if I had waited...

ad00cbe5a700bdbbcd04c6223efe5b8c.jpg

I shot him on November 14th. He was the only buck on my lease I was after. It is a great feeling of accomplishment when you target one specific buck and get him. I had one of my members start hunting him hard and actually had him walk up to 5 yards behind him while he was sitting on the ground and the buck saw him move and blew out of there. I stopped getting pictures of him after that and figured I knew where he had started hanging out. That morning I went in and set up in my creek bottom that hunts perfect with the north wind. However after getting set up and daylight came I realized it was too wet and they would more than likely travel the high side. It is only a foot difference but it was dry and I couldn’t see it. So I stood up to relocate and saw movement through the brush in the high side. I couldn’t tell what it was so I started sneezing that way and finally caught a glimpse of a nice racked buck. It walked off into the palmettos so I went and got my gear and hammock seat and relocated. I found my spot I wanted to sit and dropped my backpack and got my seat ready to hook to the tree. I happened just to look around and a 3-1/2 year old 8 is looking at me at 50 yards. I froze and he walked a circle around me at twenty yards to get downwind of me. He stood downwind for 5 minutes and finally walked off on down the creek. I get my seat attached to the tree and settle in. I did a little rattle sequence and about ten minutes later he walks out in front of me and cones to 40 yards before turning broadside. I knew it was him as soon as I saw him and I didn’t wait around lol.

I have only one deer utilizing our place I would shoot...he is probably the wiliest big woods deer I have ever hunted...only have till Sunday with rifle and neighboring properties get hunted hard on the weekend...

Back