Sugar on plots

Best way to add sulfur??? And is it toxic if you go overboard?
Same answer for every other problem that exists today: Gypsum @ 300 lbs/ac. Finding it in a bag will be the hardest part. Thankfully in the MN area, we have a Menards store everywhere, so it's readily available. Outside that, it's very hard to find anyone else that carries it in 40 and 50 pound bags.

You can't overdo it with gypsum. It's just a rock. A very soft rock, that is crushed and reformed into a pellet. Some guys put on tons per acre in a given year to accomplish other things. For just a sulfur addition, it doesn't take much.

If you have a golf course near you, ask them where they get theres. Odds are they have pallets of it in bags.

The feed mill owned by the Mennonites near our lease sells gypsum in 40lb bags.

Thanks for the tip. I will pick some up.

Spraying the sugar on top the food plot will make it more desirable. I have used a bear bait additive that is 100 times sweeter than sugar and smells like red delicious apples on a corn bait pile many times. Dont use it every time but you can definitely see an increase in picture trends when it is used. I have also gotten bear bait that had a lot of sugar in the box and dumped it out with a trail camera over it, many pictures of deer and they dug a hole in the ground like at a mineral station.

Should work as an effective deer bait until it rains. Wouldn't it be easier to just get some night vision goggles and shoot the big bucks in the middle of the night?

I could see how spraying some sugar on your food plot is similar to using night vision and shooting them at night. The sugar must be the step that goes to far. Planting the plots to attract the deer, sitting in a sealed hunting blind to not let any scent out, using an ozonics to cover any remaining scent and using a rifle to shoot them 200 yards away after patterning them on a cellular trail camera are just regular hunting practices. To each their own.

Try spraying half the plot and run a test with trail cameras to see if it is effective. Could potentially do this during the summer to find out if it is worth it in the fall when you could be hunting instead.

This sounds like something I’ve always wanted to try with Redmond trace minerals. I’ve read articles by Redmond and Jim Ward about how a light application on a field increases palatability of the pasture/foodplot. The application rate was fairly light. I guess I haven’t tried it yet because I’m not convinced I’d be getting the benefits of the trace minerals.

Back