Spring plots.....sooner or later

Drycreek

I’m not getting a good start on my plots this spring. What with knee problems, weather problems, covid problems, etc. I’m running a little late. I did get out Tuesday with my gimpy knee and rode the tractor long enough to mow my plots here at home and a couple at our lease. By that time I could hardly walk, seriously, and I decided a couple days of rest and ice was in order. I’m gonna hit it again in the morning and mow the rest of the plots on our lease if the weather lets me. The wheat in my rifle plot was pretty tall !6A91970B-6A63-4254-87ED-647AFDB432A0.jpeg

As Toby Keith's song says Dry Creek, "Don't let the old man in". Good for you to keep at it despite all kinds of obstacles. Bad deal you had with the Covid, super that you are still doing habitat work.

When I have wheat/rye over clover plots I usually let it self terminate and then mow it sometime in June. I sometimes plant a fall plot but mostly keep just the clover rolling along...

Very, very little clover left in this plot. It was mostly wheat and daikon radish. The MRC just can’t seem to get established even though it looked good the first time I planted it. I know the hogs gave it what for over the winter last year.

Yeah, the knee is gonna need a doctor I’m thinking. I hurt it at about age 35 and I could live with it for a long time but the last 4/5 years it has been a pain in the......knee;) Fortunately, I can do most of my stuff from the tractor seat with a little help from my lease buds. I should get the mowing done tomorrow and the spraying done Saturday if weather permits, then possibly plant next weekend.

Tough stuff on the aging. Not for wussies.

I usually start planting summer stuff last week of April, first week of May. Been raining all night and I am traveling Monday - Wednesday next week so intend to start immediately on return weather permitting . I've had more problems planting to early than too late mostly because things are too wet.

Tough stuff on the aging. Not for wussies.

I usually start planting summer stuff last week of April, first week of May. Been raining all night and I am traveling Monday - Wednesday next week so intend to start immediately on return weather permitting . I've had more problems planting to early than too late mostly because things are too wet.

My theory, and it’s just a theory, is that I don’t want any cool nights after I plant beans or peas. I have limited acreage to plant them and I need them to grow as quickly as possible while the deer are still eating the tender browse in the woods. If that’s not right, don’t tell me, I’m happy in my ignorance.....o_O

I did finish my mowing today and I can get the plots sprayed tomorrow I think before it rains so I should be able to plant next weekend or so.

My buddy’s plot had lots of MRC in among the wheat and remains of the Daikon radish and we elected to just leave it and see what it does. It’s a good place for clover since it’s not sandy and it’s flat.

Got all my plots disced up today. I disc them as lightly as possible, just enough to bury my seeds so the hogs don’t eat them. We will plant, fertilize, and drag tomorrow, then I’ll try to get my three plots done at home Saturday. It’s supposed to rain the first three or four days of next week so I’m grateful for this window to get my plots planted. This is my plot on the lease. As y’all saw in the top picture, it had lots of thatch so I had to disc it enough that I could drag it out without a bunch of thatch wadded up.D05CA9FB-FCCA-44FB-B9C6-B5C434A4244A.jpeg

Back