Spring planting time

IMG_4325.JPG Drilling sunflowers 15lbs/acre into a crimson field. The crimson is about 99% done so should reseed well this fall. Was gorgeous about a month ago. Even though this is a 13 acre field I hope the deer don't wipe it out. They have in years past. But I have lowered numbers some and there are plenty of other options near by.

When you plant just sunflowers, do you use the 2nd or 3rd seed cup setting? I've heard the 2nd setting can crush the seed.

Do you ever plant arrowleaf clover? I planted it last year and it's outcompeting everything!

Sorghum and EW in addition to providing trellis and cover pump huge amounts of carbon into the soil even during dry summer weather....sometimes the grain provides a fall food source for wildlife....you also get a longer lasting residue from the grasses for your fall annual planting both on the soil surface and quite deep into the soil profile to hold more moisture for the fall seedlings to establish. If you ever take a look at the root ball on a 14' tall EW plant then you will readily see the soil benefit of that plant in a mix...it is a virtual subsoiler!

Baker, how wide is the opening on the seed cups for that SA mix? We're pretty close to the same this year and figure the cup opening width will be the same....a tad higher on beans and peas here as I've had tremendous grass biomass last 2 years.

When you plant just sunflowers, do you use the 2nd or 3rd seed cup setting? I've heard the 2nd setting can crush the seed.

Do you ever plant arrowleaf clover? I planted it last year and it's outcompeting everything!
I used the 2nd cup setting. Will be disappointed if it crushed seed. I'll report next week when I should have germination.

I have planted arrowleaf a lot thru the years. Its an amazing plant . I'm not planting it so much anymore as it doesn't fit my current rotation strategies. By june/july its mostly done and all in all has a shorter productive window than other clovers. Deer love it though and its a beautiful thing when in full glory.

For me it works best in a single rotation hunting plot. Plant it in the fall with small grains and forget it. Its done mid summer, then prep the field in the fall and replant small grains. The arrow leaf is a very effective reseeding annual. I've gone more to durana and red clovers in my single rotation clover plots.

Looks awesome. I'm about 3 weeks behind you. I'm waiting on 2 tons of milorganite to arrive before I plant.
Best of luck. May not be interesting to you but I've done some research on milorganite. As you may know it is made from biosludge or essentially human waste from a facility in Milwaukee. Independent lab results have shown it to have high levels of multiple heavy metals [ mercury etc ] as well as numerous pharmaceuticals, veterinarian drugs, recreational drugs, antibiotics, benadryl ... and the list goes on.

I'd be interested to know if your source offers the warning that Milorganite can cause cancer and should not be used on crops intended for human consumption. Those warnings are on most biosludge products packaged for the home gardener.

Easy to understand why it repels deer .

Baker, it is my understanding that the most recent studies dispute the heavy metal/toxin association with milorganite. Will see what I can scrounge up.

Baker, it is my understanding that the most recent studies dispute the heavy metal/toxin association with milorganite. Will see what I can scrounge up.
I'd be interested. Not a soap box issue for me just curious. I just left their website and their contaminant levels contradict what I've seen from an independent lab. Being somewhat cynical and suspicious of the EPA, USDA etc I tend to be cautious. The concept of using human biosludge makes my antennae quiver.

I hear you. To be honest, I don't blindly follow the recommendations of the EPA and similar orgs either, but I also am not a conspiracy theorist. My dad, who I trust, used to be afraid of milorganite for the reasons you listed - recently his opinion has changed. I will see what changed his mind.

In my field of veterinary medicine, new drugs are introduced constantly. I've seen how the public and industries can react to certain things, and those reactions spread like wildfire. Once the public has made up their mind on something, it's hard to change that perception.

With milorganite and other biosolids, I put my faith in the regulatory agents and hope they are doing their jobs. I can't question everything. If I were organic I would feel differently.

Baker,

Think I could no till into this, or would you spray first to terminate? This field was planted in the fall as 100 lb rye, 50 lb oats, 10 lb crimson clover, 10 lb arrowleaf clover, 2 lb chicory, 1 lb radish -- per acre. As you can see, the arrowleaf clover is what's left and thriving.

Soon I will plant my pea, sun flower, sun hemp mix...drill is the same as yours except 7 feet not 8.

31a4547e0cd8466d08c25ee1f6c79edb.jpg

0546b520597f941c255156b3e6386367.jpg

1b7dc309dc11e150e616dfebcf0c6030.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I think you can drill directly into standing crop then terminate. The drill will mash down most of the rye and oats.The drill should cut thru the arrow leaf . The summer cultivars will come up thru the terminated arrow leaf .

As an aside I sure hate seeing the arrow leaf and chicory being terminated. I use arrow leaf in hunting plots that I do not double crop. Same with chicory which I plant in clover plots. The chicory is browsed all summer and sometimes is the best game in town late summer. I've also had both chicory and arrow leaf last for years. For my double cropped fields I just use crimson with essentially the same mix as you. I replant about the time the crimson is done as will be the small grains.

BTW, beautiful field and mighty handsome pup.

I'm not terminating the 4 main plots of clover and chicory. The 6 acres I'm planting into were supposed to just be rye, but there was extra clover seed still in the small seed box.

Thank you, as always, for your reply.

Back