Specifics on Muzzleloader Season Firearms

Eamonn Mackinaw

Hello all! Shortly after this year's firearm season, I acquired an 1884 "Trapdoor" Springfield rifle chambered in 45/70 GOV, a very nice antique rifle to say the least. Shortly after getting this rifle, I contacted my local sheriff to see if there were any laws that did or did not apply to the rifle, since it is classified as an antique, breech-loading, black powder rifle. He seemed to think that since it was so old, and a black powder rifle, that it would be legal to be used during rifle AND muzzle-loader season(s), but he wasn't 100% sure on this. I was just wondering if anyone with a bit more knowledge on this topic would be able to offer some more detailed insight on whether or not it would be legal to use in both seasons. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Hello all! Shortly after this year's firearm season, I acquired an 1884 "Trapdoor" Springfield rifle chambered in 45/70 GOV, a very nice antique rifle to say the least. Shortly after getting this rifle, I contacted my local sheriff to see if there were any laws that did or did not apply to the rifle, since it is classified as an antique, breech-loading, black powder rifle. He seemed to think that since it was so old, and a black powder rifle, that it would be legal to be used during rifle AND muzzle-loader season(s), but he wasn't 100% sure on this. I was just wondering if anyone with a bit more knowledge on this topic would be able to offer some more detailed insight on whether or not it would be legal to use in both seasons. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Welcome to the forum...

What state? I know here in Oklahoma it would not be legal because it doesn't load from the muzzle...

Black powder does not necessarily mean it meets the definition of a muzzleloader. Start with your fish and game folks and study the regs. Every state specifically defines muzzle loaders with sufficient detail that you'll figure it out. Good luck.

yep. Ours state that it has to fire a single projectile of 44 cal. or larger and be loaded through the muzzle.

I wouldn't trust a local sheriff. You need to contact your local game warden or DNR. Your state might have different regulations but like Okie said it wouldn't be legal here in Oklahoma.

Back