Soy Beans or Iron Clay Peas

Thanks for the speedy reply.
Will it work to mix all the different seed together and then inoculate with the different packages of inoculate
as a group. Will be using a cement mixer to blend everything before it goes in the drill.
All the different varieties will be in the same trench was my thinking.

Do them separately. Not sure how many pounds of each you will be doing, but you want to get the right inoculant, stuck to the right seed.

Will be planting a soy, pea, sun hemp and sorghum mix with inoculant soon. Any suggestions on how to apply the inoculant?
I had an old timer tell me years ago he used a can of Coke. Last month I planted cow peas and had to inoculate them. I put the peas in a couple 5 gallon buckets with snap on lids and added a can of Dr Thunder. Rolled them around a bit then added the inoculant. Rolled again. Stuck like glue and my peas were the 1st thing in the plot to come up so I guess it worked well.

Good luck with whatever you do. I don't think it will make any difference whether you choose peas or beans. I generally go with whichever is least expensive but that isn't an issue with such a small field.

One last comment on the cotton fields. Deer love cotton seed trash which is a very high quality feed high in protein and fat. I've been feeding it alongside protein pellets for years. Heres a pic showing the seed lint and all.

View attachment 7534
Been trying to get this done here for over 10 years just can't find any place that has it.

I had an old timer tell me years ago he used a can of Coke. Last month I planted cow peas and had to inoculate them. I put the peas in a couple 5 gallon buckets with snap on lids and added a can of Dr Thunder. Rolled them around a bit then added the inoculant. Rolled again. Stuck like glue and my peas were the 1st thing in the plot to come up so I guess it worked well.

Innoculating has nothing to do with emergence, but it does determine whether or not it produces nitrogen

As long as you can get them inoculated, youre good, I was always told that as long as the seed gets a speck of inoculant on it, it is enough.

Innoculating has nothing to do with emergence, but it does determine whether or not it produces nitrogen

As long as you can get them inoculated, youre good, I was always told that as long as the seed gets a speck of inoculant on it, it is enough.

Good to know... but I'm still gonna use my Dr Thunder !!:D

The old timer I referred to earlier was a very prosperous farmer in Mississippi that my father knew somehow. I was in my teens at the time. I remember that he had more than a thousand acres and a very large home. I asked my father "how'd he get so rich?" to which he replied " when your very smart and work really hard, this is what you get". I guess I missed the boat on the smart part, but I recall thinking I'm going to do whatever this man tells me to do for the rest of my life!

Will be planting a soy, pea, sun hemp and sorghum mix with inoculant soon. Any suggestions on how to apply the inoculant?
That will be a great mix! I usually just dump the inoculant in the bag and shake it well. It depends on how much inoculant that I have. The recommended rate for inoculant on beans is pretty low (2.5 oz per 50 lbs) if I'm using one 15 oz. pack of inoculant for six bags of beans I get more exacting with sprinkling them with water (9 oz water for 1 bag of seed) and mixing than when I'm only planting 2 bags and still using one whole pack I just pour it in dry and shake and plant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tap
Back