Solo Hand Spreader

I have a huge interest in local color and cultures, you forgot to describe how the people of the eastern panhandle differ from West Virginia proper?
Struttingfool is going to unfriend me for so hijacking his thread. Without going back in to history, the EP has had a big influx of DC people for 30+ years since taxes and housing and lifestyle is so much better than DC and it is only a 90 min commute by train or car for them which for some reason they think is good. Typical crowd that will pay 8000/ac and spend mill to restore the old farmhouse.
Now, for history, that area is mostly farm related with little energy related economy. Farms are huge and have been in families since the 1600s. Now as you reach the rise of the Appalachian mountains, energy related jobs from timbering to coal to salts to chemicals are interspersed with the farming industry. This attracted a crowd, in part, by the industry, and in part the topography reminding of their homeland, the Germans, Italian, Irish, Polish, and African. And most this industry did not segregate against these different cultures like much of the country did. Thus the mainland part of the state minus its panhandles tend to be hard working , family oriented , untrusting of outsiders, type of people that worked their day job and farmed their land secondly.
I’m German, Irish, French. Think I have to watch the alcohol attraction much???

Struttingfool is going to unfriend me for so hijacking his thread. Without going back in to history, the EP has had a big influx of DC people for 30+ years since taxes and housing and lifestyle is so much better than DC and it is only a 90 min commute by train or car for them which for some reason they think is good. Typical crowd that will pay 8000/ac and spend mill to restore the old farmhouse.
Now, for history, that area is mostly farm related with little energy related economy. Farms are huge and have been in families since the 1600s. Now as you reach the rise of the Appalachian mountains, energy related jobs from timbering to coal to salts to chemicals are interspersed with the farming industry. This attracted a crowd, in part, by the industry, and in part the topography reminding of their homeland, the Germans, Italian, Irish, Polish, and African. And most this industry did not segregate against these different cultures like much of the country did. Thus the mainland part of the state minus its panhandles tend to be hard working , family oriented , untrusting of outsiders, type of people that worked their day job and farmed their land secondly.
I’m German, Irish, French. Think I have to watch the alcohol attraction much???
Thank you for that, it fits very well with the people I met in wva during my barn building forays. I always had a liking for the general region, from building chicken houses in the moorefield area in the early 90's. Except the frustration when we stopped at a minit market in the morning. Nobody there was in a hurry, and us swiss German boys needed to get to work asap.
And this dialouge fits the spreader topic, we're just spreading some different stuff.

Another happy Solo Hand Spreader owner here as well.

I’ve since gave away all my other hand spreaders that I own since buying one 4 years ago. They are that good.

I've decided I loathe the Earthway 3100. It's just not comfortable to wear/mount. I just ordered a Hooyman manual spreader. It looks more well thought out, and the harness looks usable and comfortable. It's similar to the Chapin linked on page 1, but possibly more refined. There was a battery operated version too, but I won't use it enough to justify the extra cost. I'll report back once I get a chance to use it.

I've decided I loathe the Earthway 3100. It's just not comfortable to wear/mount. I just ordered a Hooyman manual spreader. It looks more well thought out, and the harness looks usable and comfortable. It's similar to the Chapin linked on page 1, but possibly more refined. There was a battery operated version too, but I won't use it enough to justify the extra cost. I'll report back once I get a chance to use it.

similar experience with earthway

I "went Solo" and haven't looked back

bill

RGrizzzz…Have you used the Hooyman spreader yet? If so, could you give pros and cons? I’m in the market for a new spreader to broadcast clover seed and it looks like the shoulder harness would be a welcomed addition so it doesn‘t eat into the shoulder.

I have. The harness is great. It's easy to put on and adjust. (If you know it goes on before attaching the spreader, someone I know, LOL) it's easy to fill without spilling and the adjustments are solid. I spread some cereal grains with it. Best chest spreader I've used.

Back