Smoked meat!

farmhunter

After hunting season is done - I enjoy making smoked and cured meats and such. I've had different smoke set ups over the years - but currently I have a little Traeger - and it can do almost everything I need.

For several years - I've cured and smoked Beef eye round. I use 1 tablespoon of Morton's Tenderquick and 1 tablespoon brown sugar - per lb of meat as a dry rub cure. I mix in some black pepper and sometimes other things too - and I vacuum pack. Cure meat for 1 day per 1/4" thick meat - and then add two days. this meat cured 12 days in the refrigerator.

this is the basic "cure" - and the tenderquick has some nitrates - it gives the meat that pink - corned beef look. In this case I did one beef eye round that way and a piece of rump roast with Instacure #1 as the cure - and added a little salt. The Bacon I used tenderquick and brown sugar too.

the meat has to soak a few hours in water changed out a couple times to get the salt content down - before smoking. The bacon in this case is buckboard back - from a pork shoulder. It came out great and was a 1st time try.

Here's a bunch of pictures - Bacon 1st - a very traditional bacon - buckboard - made from Pork Shoulder - not belly - I was very happy with its meaty texture and smoky flavor. And enough fat to fry it up nice!
8uGgHuf.jpg

WZduul6.jpg

tnSVfDc.jpg

And the beef - the eye round is great sandwich meat. The rump roast made with the instacure #1 was less salty, and more beefy, Its was more like a dried beef - but I did leave it on longer.

JuumTEa.jpg
QYf8GNp.jpg
14ufcw2.jpg
r8700h7.jpg

94Z3ged.jpg
hVpEEa3.jpg
nkQdAJ4.jpg

Last edited:
made a better batch of double smoked Shoulder Bacon this weekend. Came out nice - I found that with the shoulder cut it was important to get it to 150 degrees F. Then let if cool for 24 hours, we had teens - so it cooled nice and was semi frozen for slicing - perfect.

OROYGQl.jpg

p9KL6mv.jpg
WD0vywQ.jpg
2lDnxDL.jpg
pXEDM3r.jpg

Back