Simple venison and tomato roast over rice

Doctorbrady

This is one of the easiest deer recipes that I make, but is still quite tasty.
Start with a good deer roast. Cover liberally with coarse salt, pepper, and other preferred spices. I really like the Montreal steak seasoning mix from Sam's. Massage the spices into all sides of the meat. Heat up a skillet and add a touch of olive oil. Brown all sides of the meat. The goal here is to develop a brown crust, not grey meat. If you don't let the pan heat up long enough or remove your meat too soon, you will get cooked meat, but not the seared crust that you are looking for.
Once browned, place the roast in a crock pot. Add a couple of cans of stewed tomatoes. Add some Italian spices, 2 bay leaves, and a touch of red pepper flakes (if you like a little heat). Cook on low for about 8-10 hours.
Serve over long grain white or brown rice.
Simple!

That'll be added to my recipes this winter. I make a mean deer stew with the traditional potatoes, carrots, celery and onion but have never tried a whole roast in stewed tomatoes. Sounds delicious!

This is one of the easiest deer recipes that I make, but is still quite tasty.
Start with a good deer roast. Cover liberally with coarse salt, pepper, and other preferred spices. I really like the Montreal steak seasoning mix from Sam's. Massage the spices into all sides of the meat. Heat up a skillet and add a touch of olive oil. Brown all sides of the meat. The goal here is to develop a brown crust, not grey meat. If you don't let the pan heat up long enough or remove your meat too soon, you will get cooked meat, but not the seared crust that you are looking for.
Once browned, place the roast in a crock pot. Add a couple of cans of stewed tomatoes. Add some Italian spices, 2 bay leaves, and a touch of red pepper flakes (if you like a little heat). Cook on low for about 8-10 hours.
Serve over long grain white or brown rice.
Simple!
Sometimes simple is best, I'm a big fan of Montreal Steak Seasoning. You might like this site: http://honest-food.net/ .This guy has some serious wild game cooking skills. The recipes for venison are under the wild game tab.

Back