Show Your Tree Seedlings Thread

After the vegetation died down in the bottoms, I spotted a couple of oaks I had planted. Oaks are tough trees and can withstand a few years of less than ideal circumstances. Vegetation in the bottoms is intense, and I'm sure it slows their growth. But as long as trees overhead aren't casting shade, they will rise above the weeds.

Pin oak planted last spring.......

S4060002.JPG

Another planted a couple years ago. had no idea it was even there until this year when the vegetation died down and there it stood. Next year it will rise above!

S4060003.JPG

I will certainly go in and do what I can for these trees before spring. I see some honeysuckle around the oak in the last pic, and that stuff can swallow a seedling. I need to cut it back and probably spray some herbicide. I'm eager to get into the bottoms this winter and find my oaks growing where I've killed trash trees over the past 3 years. Slowly but surely, I am making over Little Blue. :cool:

wow i wish my burs would do this, some have been in tubes in my lawn for over 3yrs and my tallest are at best 4ft lol

This is cheating since it is in my yard and gets fertiziler from my grass, but this Bur Oak I got for free from the state. First summer in the ground it did nothing. This year it has exploded out of a 5' tube. It is now pushing 7', with 6' of growth in one growing season. It's catching up to my 45 gallon shumard in the background that has been in the ground two years. Black line on the tube is 4/29/16.
5e6c61cf99d15207fa7712d1196ed09b.jpg

75b1821e50f6ecfc77dd506d6216c3c7.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Red cedar seedling planted out from MDC spring 2016. Here it is in Dec 2016. Looks good.

S4090004.JPG

I've read a lot of discussions on overwintering seedlings. Extremely dry fall conditions gave me no window for planting any of these seedlings that I grew in fabric pots, so rather than planting them in the garden for the winter (lots of digging!), I am trying this method of keeping them over winter in the pole barn. Root systems watered, laid flat onto the concrete floor, then a layer of plastic and straw over top of them.

S4090017.JPG

While the barn therm says it's 40 deg in there (got up to 38 today).....

S4090019.JPG

The therm on the floor with the seedlings shows a cozy 48.

S4090018.JPG

In my neck of the woods where we don't have a month or two of bitter temps, this method should work. We've had several days prior with single nighttime digits and highs in the 20's, but the ground temps coming up through the floor are keeping the seedlings in a good temperature zone.

Attachments

• S4090004.JPG
    S4090004.JPG
    311.2 KB · Views: 0
Good looking cover and browse buckdeer1! How many tubes are in that planting? Ive got 50 waiting for me to open on Christmas. :D

Around 80 there and I have 80 in another planting beside the timber,75 more in some grass a little ways from these.I planted 500 sandhills last year so that makes almost 2000 I have planted along with fragrant sumac.I think all I will do this year is plant about 25 fruit trees and move 15 other trees

Around 80 there and I have 80 in another planting beside the timber,75 more in some grass a little ways from these.I planted 500 sandhills last year so that makes almost 2000 I have planted along with fragrant sumac.I think all I will do this year is plant about 25 fruit trees and move 15 other trees
Youre going to have planting withdrawals. :D

Happy to see my bald cypress growing strong. These were planted last year in standing water. And were completely submerged this spring after leafing out. Water went down and they took off growing again......

S4580015.JPG

S4580014.JPG

I started a handful of English Oaks from seed this spring. They've grown well in these fabric pots. All are somewhere from 18"-24" tall. From what I've read, 75% will be columnar like their parents.

S4770003.JPG

Also started some Bur Oaks.

S4770004.JPG

And some PitchXLoblolly Pines...

S4770005.JPG

I dug these PitchXLob seedlings (4" tall) in spring 2016, grew them in quart pots last year and they grew to about 10". Put into fabric pots this spring and they have grown nicely.

S4830026.JPG

2 year old red oaks. I potted them up this spring from last year's pots.

S4830025.JPG

2 year pin oaks.......

S4830024.JPG

English Oaks started from seed this spring. The developed some powdery mildew around mid-summer.

S4830023.JPG

Bur oaks started from seed this spring.......

S4830022.JPG

I sure have fun growing trees. I get to start growing in spring and play with them all summer. Really not much of a chore to keep watered, because I love tinkering with them and fertilizing and always trying to push more growth. And I treat these trees special, planting with tubes next spring.
Anybody else have tree pics to share? :rolleyes::D

Back