Shooting house tips, tricks and other ideas

Anyone tried a platform with a ground blind? I’ve seen a couple with at least one that was an oops without enough room to transfer from ladder to climbing in.

If so What’s the ideal size? Balance practical size to use but considering weight to install. I’m thinking 5x7 minimum but 5x8 may be just as well except for weight?

2x4 on 12” spacing solid enough for a big guy or possibly two people? Probably go 2x6 perimeter regardless. Undecided on floor boards. Plywood, 5/4, or 2x6.

Probably no higher than 6’ for now. May consider future conversion to box blind, which would take more leg Support I’m sure (planning to start with 4x4 and elevator brackets)

I put mine on a hayrack I bought at an auction. I made a base for the blind to sit on so most of the wind would be blocked from coming in underneath. This is the blind.

Barronett Grounder 250

0002613_gr251bt-barronett-grounder-250-bloodtrail_100.png

Here is the base on the hayrack.

Platform for ground blind. View 1
by Eugene McMahon, on Flickr

Eugene

Kwood, I am building a octagon blind. I am wondering if you would be willing to explain how you made the windows for your blind. Pictures would be great. Thanks. I would like to make my windows without a frame but I would like to see if anyone else has done this. I am thinking I'll use either 1/4"plexiglass or 1/8" polycarbonate. Attached is a picture of my blind. Thanks
1dd7e51a1fc8362431b07175604284bf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My 6x6 half octagon was slightly too big for one person. It was hard to look out all the windows without having to move around a little. I also liked my dark tinted plexiglass windows.

Ya I would like to get tinted glass but I figure I will end up making a cover to go over the windows. So gator do you have a frame on your Plexiglass and what kind of hinges did you use? Thanks

Ya I would like to get tinted glass but I figure I will end up making a cover to go over the windows. So gator do you have a frame on your Plexiglass and what kind of hinges did you use? Thanks

I did build a frame for mine using 1/8" plexi but hindsight, I would buy 1/4" plexiglass so I wouldn't need a frame then just mount hinges directly to the window.

Have built several over the years as well - love my pallet rack towers - but hated building them. built the box on the gound and made it modular - took it apart - rebuilt it up top. Neatest thing we did was hinge the roof - brought it up just plywood and joists. hung it vertical on the inside of the front wall. Put the tin on it up top - then hinged it up and put in the back wall. No getting up on top to roof it - was good with us.

a07fd66.jpg
m6zlgfu.jpg
SswHXux.jpg
L9sG9zx.jpg
MxdX2NB.jpg

Anyone tried a platform with a ground blind? I’ve seen a couple with at least one that was an oops without enough room to transfer from ladder to climbing in.

If so What’s the ideal size? Balance practical size to use but considering weight to install. I’m thinking 5x7 minimum but 5x8 may be just as well except for weight?

2x4 on 12” spacing solid enough for a big guy or possibly two people? Probably go 2x6 perimeter regardless. Undecided on floor boards. Plywood, 5/4, or 2x6.

Probably no higher than 6’ for now. May consider future conversion to box blind, which would take more leg Support I’m sure (planning to start with 4x4 and elevator brackets)

I had a pop up on a platform for several years work great. Only draw back was the wind damaged the blind several times.
blind2.jpg

Back