Sex of a persimmon.

Jack Terpack

I received this add this evening.

https://www.deltaleaflabs.com/store/p20/order-kits.html

This was sent to me by a gentleman I was talking to yesterday. He has just retired form a lab where he ran DNA tests on just about anything. It turns out that male cannabis bushes are nowhere near as desirable as female. That was the most requested DNA test over the past couple years. He did do human DNA test also. I asked if he could test a persimmon tree. He said it would be the same test as done an cannabis. I wonder if this is something a person could learn to do at home and what type of equipment it would require. Any ideas?

Crocodile Dundee had a method for sex checking but it probably wouldn’t work on a persimmon

I’m sure it could be done but not sure of what equipment it would take.

I had a persimmon tree change from female to male. I know it had persimmons last year, but all male flowers this year????

Is there a way to tell before it produces fruit?Are the females showing fruit yet?At what age will they produce

Is there a way to tell before it produces fruit?Are the females showing fruit yet?At what age will they produce

1. Yes, female flowers are different from male flowers
2. Persimmons in my area got the leaves burned from the late freeze. They are just now growing leaves back, so no fruit.
3. A grafted persimmon can fruit the next year after grafting, but 2 or 3 years is more common. A seedling persimmon generally begins fruiting at around 10-13 years old.

Mine have quite a few leaves and some were grafted and some weren't.I have some that are 15ft tall and then I had one the birds planted that was 8ft tall two years ago and had half a dozen fruits on it.

Our persimmon are blooming now. My wife and I checked 19 of them this week to see what sex they were. 17 males and two females - and I have to admit we cheated a little - because we went out of our way to specifically check the females because we new they were there.

So far the only one I have had produce was 8ft tall and birds must have brought in.Is this small fruit or just more leavespersimmion.jpg persimmion.jpg

darn and they are supposed to be grafted females

It's possible that the tree could have both male and female flowers. That isn't common but not unheard of. In both pictures I see places that it looks like multiple flowers are coming off of the same spot. You only see that with male flowers. Female flowers will always be a single flower by itself. Male can be single or multiple.

When they flowers open up, they are no trouble to tell apart. Take some pictures later on and post.

Last edited:
This thread has been VERY helpful! I've noticed some persimmons coming up behind our house the past few years and haven't paid them much mind, since I've seen so many over the years that never had fruit and had no idea why. After seeing some of the pics from this thread and the other, I've found that many of the small trees are blooming this year for the first time I believe and while most are male trees, one of the small "groves" is made up of two blooming female trees with a bunch of smaller trees coming up around them. Am I right to believe those will be female trees too? Our old farm had a large number of mature persimmon groves, it seemed that every tree in each grove had fruit or none of them did. Again, back then I didn't know anything about male and female trees.
I'll be reading the information here in-depth and try my hand at grafting on the male trees this-coming year.

This thread has been VERY helpful! I've noticed some persimmons coming up behind our house the past few years and haven't paid them much mind, since I've seen so many over the years that never had fruit and had no idea why. After seeing some of the pics from this thread and the other, I've found that many of the small trees are blooming this year for the first time I believe and while most are male trees, one of the small "groves" is made up of two blooming female trees with a bunch of smaller trees coming up around them. Am I right to believe those will be female trees too? Our old farm had a large number of mature persimmon groves, it seemed that every tree in each grove had fruit or none of them did. Again, back then I didn't know anything about male and female trees.
I'll be reading the information here in-depth and try my hand at grafting on the male trees this-coming year.

Yes, the trees coming up in groups are all off of the same roots and should be the same sex.

“Professional persimmon farmers use a ratio of eight female trees for every male tree.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back