Seeder/Drill help

I’ve been looking for something. The food plot seeders are just too expensive for me to make work. I’ve been experimenting with throw/mow/cultipack. This could be a good option

I have zero experience with a drill. He said it’s 5ft wide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks like the International Harvester (IH) logo on the side. Guessing it's some Frankenstein design.

I’ve been looking for something. The food plot seeders are just too expensive for me to make work. I’ve been experimenting with throw/mow/cultipack. This could be a good option

I have zero experience with a drill. He said it’s 5ft wide

A drill is not difficult to use, just fill with seed, adjust the seeding rate, adjust the depth, and roll. A drill is most essential for seeding small grains, because of the consistency and nearly 100% germination rates in less than ideal growing conditions. I didn't peruse the pictures very thoroughly, I'm assuming that this unit has a method of lifting it out of the ground at the end of the row? It will probably not be capable of notill planting in sod or heavy stubble.

This appears to be a single disc opener type of seed drill, which makes it ....... old. It used to be longer, but has been cut down.
Seed box is pretty rusty inside which (to me) means it hasn't been used in a while and not maintained. I don't see where the "adjuster" is, to vary the amount of seed so that you can seed wheat, or oats or rye or beans or ...... That is kind of important, to make sure you get your desired seeds per acre and you will only use this for large seeds.
To use this, you will spread your fertilizer, work the ground, use this planter, then run a cultipacker over it or a drag, broadcast your small seeds and then use the cultipacker/drag again.
I think I would keep looking or invest in something like a Herd Seeder https://www.easyattachments.com/Herd-M-12-3-Point-Hitch-Broadcast-Seeder-Spreader-p/m-12.htm which will spread your fertilizer, large seeds and small seeds and buy or build a cultipacker. https://www.everythingattachments.com/Tractor-3-Point-Hitch-Cultipacker-s/70.htm
My M-12 (aka M-96) is 11 years old and gets washed, greased and oiled after every use. Spread your fertilizer, spread your large seeds, work the ground (or not), cultipack/drag, spread your small seeds and cultipack/drag again

Herd Seeder.JPG

Last edited:
This appears to be a single disc opener type of seed drill, which makes it ....... old. It used to be longer, but has been cut down.
Seed box is pretty rusty inside which (to me) means it hasn't been used in a while and not maintained. I don't see where the "adjuster" is, to vary the amount of seed so that you can seed wheat, or oats or rye or beans or ...... That is kind of important, to make sure you get your desired seeds per acre and you will only use this for large seeds.
To use this, you will spread your fertilizer, work the ground, use this planter, then run a cultipacker over it or a drag, broadcast your small seeds and then use the cultipacker/drag again.
I think I would keep looking or invest in something like a Herd Seeder https://www.easyattachments.com/Herd-M-12-3-Point-Hitch-Broadcast-Seeder-Spreader-p/m-12.htm which will spread your fertilizer, large seeds and small seeds and buy or build a cultipacker. https://www.everythingattachments.com/Tractor-3-Point-Hitch-Cultipacker-s/70.htm
My M-12 (aka M-96) is 11 years old and gets washed, greased and oiled after every use. Spread your fertilizer, spread your large seeds, work the ground (or not), cultipack/drag, spread your small seeds and cultipack/drag again

View attachment 22613

Thanks for the great feedback. I’ll keep looking
I’ve considered a Firminator or Woods recently, but can’t justify the cost. I’ve been spraying, lightly discing, broadcasting and cultipacking. I’m just looking for an alternative for time/fuel savings.

Thank you guys as always for the insight

I’ve I could just get some rain. .03” in the last 30 days. It’s extremely dry
I’m keeping my fingers crossed for some rain so I can over-seed rye what I’ve already planted. I can see in my plots where the birds,hogs, etc have been after the seed in the ground

Currently I’m planting a little over 10 acres. We cleared some additional space to start planting next year. Hoping to double our current planting acreage for next spring

Currently I’m planting a little over 10 acres. We cleared some additional space to start planting next year. Hoping to double our current planting acreage for next spring

That's some serious acreage for handling solely with throw n mow. Congrats on adding the additional acreage, hopefully it works out for you.

If you're going to be planting that many acres, you might be able to rent a modern drill from your local NRCS/Ag/Coop/etc.

The quick answer to your question, if it can be used as a "no-till" drill the answer is no. But there are "maybes and possibles" in there, but it was really designed to plant in worked up ground.

Now you are heading in the right direction. The Facebook drill only has a seed box. In real life that model has a seed box and a fertilizer box as well. Maybe the fertilizer box rusted out? But it appears that model has the capability to plant both large and small seeds, but not at the same time.

JD 8350.JPG
JD 8350-1.JPG

How wide can you go? 10 feet? Or are you limited to 6 feet or less?

https://www.machinerypete.com/planting/drills/john-deere/8350

He said he pulls the fertilizer boxes off since they are usually rusted out. 10ft would work in most of my plots

So, that gives you something to think about and if you check out some of those auction websites, you can get an idea on price and maybe one will show up closer to you. Chances are pretty good a used no-till would be more expensive and would take a bigger tractor to pull it. What size of tractor do you have now?

45 Hp
Looks like the ones near me are selling for $4500 and up. Thank you for your feedback

I’ve been considering one of the 6ft models of woods, kasco or firminator planters. There were a few used ones that have come up for sale for $5k$-$7k, but they sell pretty quickly and I wasn’t sure if that was the direction I wanted to go.

Yeah, nothing is cheap any more. Just giving you some idea on what is out there and what some of the capabilities are. With a 45 HP tractor and it's lifting capability, might limit you with anything using a 3 point hitch, width and weight wise.

I have a kasco versa drill min till and it would work on a 45 HP fine as thats what my first tractor was. I have a 70HP now and need a bigger 3pt also

Back