Seed spreader for smaller quantities

j-bird

I had a small hand held spreader I used for small plots and the like, but it has bit the dust. I have used the cheap plastic lawn spreaders before.....if you want one I can point you in the general direction of one in my woods! So any way....I need a spreader that can carry a couple pounds of seed and be adjustable so I can control spreading even small seeds like clover and turnips without spending a fortune. But I want something that works! I have looked at earthway and solo brands.....what have you guys all used and what works for you???? I will be spreading everything from soybeans, to clovers....NO fertilizer!

I have used the Earthway 2750. I like it. I use it for clover to AWP to LabLab. This is my second season using it. It is a lot better than some of the others to me. I don't use it for fertilizer either.

We use Earthway 2750's with fertilizer, but we wash them out after use and let them hang dry. We then put grease on the gears if they need it. Year number 3 for us, and still going strong.

Solo. Easy to fill, easy to see seed left. 65$ amazon. If under 5'8" it may be a bit big. Of course I still have my 8$ soft bag spreader, still works great.

I'm using the Earthway 3100 for the first year with fertilizer and seed and have no complaints other than the cost.

My EW 2750 is on year 7 or 8...can't remember which. It only spreads small seeds, like clover and chicory...the small volume stuff. I often mix white clover, red clover and chicory together, so that I only need to walk smaller fields one time to spread all three of those. Limefert and higher volume stuff, like small grains, go in a tow-behind unit.

I used mine today seeding some WINA Fusion, and last week some of Grandpa Ray's Inner Sanctum. Perfect !

The Earthway is a great manual spreader; but switched to a Moultrie 15 gallon electric spreader a couple of years ago and am very happy. Most of my plots are small and have multiple seed varieties in each which makes for a lot of cranking on the manual spreaders. I have only been using the Moultrie for two years now, have it mounted in the back of the four wheeler but it sure makes easy work of planting clover, radishes and the like. The cost was low and the thing really gets the job done quickly, accurately and with little effort. Wish I had one thirty years ago.

The Earthway is a great manual spreader; but switched to a Moultrie 15 gallon electric spreader a couple of years ago and am very happy. Most of my plots are small and have multiple seed varieties in each which makes for a lot of cranking on the manual spreaders. I have only been using the Moultrie for two years now, have it mounted in the back of the four wheeler but it sure makes easy work of planting clover, radishes and the like. The cost was low and the thing really gets the job done quickly, accurately and with little effort. Wish I had one thirty years ago.

I might have to check into that. The skeeters almost sucked all my blood out while I was cranking today !:) I take it that the Moultrie handles tiny seed well ?

If you want something bigger. I use a electric Moultrie seed spreader on the back of my ATV. Only cost about $100.
I planted 1 ac of radish-turnip seed in 2 minutes. Only because I set the seed rate at 50% and sow it 2 times.
Sowed .5 ac of forage oats in 1 minute.
No more walking for me. Plus coverage was 100%.

If you want something bigger. I use a electric Moultrie seed spreader on the back of my ATV. Only cost about $100.
I planted 1 ac of radish-turnip seed in 2 minutes. Only because I set the seed rate at 50% and sow it 2 times.
Sowed .5 ac of forage oats in 1 minute.
No more walking for me. Plus coverage was 100%.
How are you covering an acre every two minutes with your quad? Are you going 20 mph, or something?!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

How are you covering an acre every two minutes with your quad? Are you going 20 mph, or something?!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The spreader throws about 25 ft wide. The plot is 100 ft wide and 400 ft long. Go down and back 2 times and I'm done.

I have a Earthway and the Solo. The solo is better, in my opinion. The only advantage for the earthway is the hopper is larger if you are spreading beans or some large seed. If you are smaller, the earthway is so tall you can't see over it,(Ask my wife.), I'm 6'4 so it doesn't matter to me.

I might have to check into that. The skeeters almost sucked all my blood out while I was cranking today !:) I take it that the Moultrie handles tiny seed well ?

Yes the Moultrie handles small seed like clover and rape very well and that is all I use it for. It might work for fertilizer even but I use my old Central Tractor 3-pt. hitch spreader for that dirty work as well as grains and larger seeds( the three point hitch spreader holds five fifty pound bags of grain seeds easily while the Moultrie holds only small quantities. With the small seeds I set the Moultrie barely open so I end up going over the field many times; But it sure beats walking and cranking. It can be set more open of course to get the seeds spread faster but I like the little at a time method. I just can't express how easy it is. It is an absolute pleasure to use so far. There is a sound that the seeds make as they fall out of the hopper onto the rotating spreader that lets you know it is working perfectly.

I have logged a lot of miles with the manual spreaders and they worked great; As I have gotten a little older though I would tire a bit with the manual spreaders especially now that we plant so many seed types and sizes in each field.

Note; I'm comfortable the Moultrie would work for the larger seeds as well but the huge hopper on the old three pt. hitch spreader is just so much more efficient for larger seeds. Yes the Moultrie was twice the price of a manual Earthway and that was on sale but it was well worth it. I am not throwing the Earthway away just in case but likely it will just hang on the wall as a bit of history of how we did it in the old days.

Back